Offered A Free Trip To Costa Rica For A Week

Jacquie802

Hi guys,

I was offered yesterday a free trip to costa rica with a family friend. I'm just not sure if I could do the flight...I have never been on a plane before and I'm not sure how I would react on one due to the POTS as well as the obv anxiety I'd have being on a plane...

Has anyone here been to Costa Rica before???

Also, for me to get an MRI the docs had to give me 4 Valium, not sure what the strengths were, but I could imagine a plane would be worse than an MRI....

Could I please have your insights as to what I should do...I need to decide this week so I can get a passport by the time we are going....

Thanks

Jacquie

Hi Jacquie,

Wow, it'd be hard to turn down a free trip to Costa Rica!

I can't fly anymore because I'm not able to sit up long enough. But if you're able to sit up for the flight it shouldn't be a problem as far as POTS goes. Just bring Gatorade, snacks, and compression stockings.

As far as the anxiety goes, I don't have advice. I've always loved flying. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out on that one.

Let us know what you decide. And if you go, Have Fun! :)

Rachel

just 2 cents here: my wife and i have recently flown from richmond to cleveland clinic (approx. 1 hour) round trip in aug & nov and again in upcoming jan; she has pots, eds, & hemiplegic migraines. she took .5-1 whole dramamine (i think it was .5 the adult recommended dosage). she was out, asleep. i know boston to costa rica is slightly further, but don't let your mind play w/you either. think good thoughts and ask your doc if motion sickness or the valium would be suitable. don't pass up an opportunity today to say what might have been. you would kick yourself for not taking the FREE trip. go have fun. was that 2 cents worth?

I went on a cruise last november, and we spent one day in Costa Rica, and I loved it. It was awsome. I jus paced myself, and it wasn't bad. They best thing is if you have a wheelchair as that will help though the airports, I am not sure if you are like me but if I stand to long I will pass out, also compression stocking really help, and lots of water.

Could you ask your POTS doctor is he/she thinks you could make the trip, it a nice chance to get away, and enjoy somthing new. If you go and you have a chance we spent a few hours on a black sand beach that was on the nation rain forset reserve and it was so peaceful, it fact in my bedroom I have tons of photos from there on my wall so on bad days I can think about that day and how great it was, and know why I fihgt this... so I can get back to traveling, and my photography! If you want I can email some photos! :lol:

Thanks for all the advice, and yes I would love to see the photos..I don't think I am going to go. I am really nervous about the whole thing...I was thinking of maybe flying to Florida since it's not too long of a flight. Maybe I would feel more comfortable being with my family or close close friends where as I have never been on a plane??? Recently I have been having more POTS probs as well so that makes me nervous...I hate to give it up, but would like to think that I would have the opportunity to go again, since they own a time share down there...

Jacquie

wow i can really understand you hesitancy towards going *** concerns of pots...i really doo... BUT.. wow costa rica.. that might not be an oppertunity that will come along again.. especially not for free!

Is there any way that you could fluid load right before the flight to and from.. (ie.. can you get IV hydration?? would your pots doc do that for you if you decide to go??)

costa rica sounds like fun! I hope that you are able to work something out so that you can go... and live and enjoy life a little despite tis auntonomic night mare that we all live in..

hugs

dizz

Hi Jacquie,

I've never been to Costa Rica but I hear it's beautiful. This past summer I did go down to the Dominican Republic though, and it was wonderful. The flight wasn't bad at all. I was a little nervous about the airport, but it was ok. I usually bring my wheeled carry-on bag and if I have to wait in a line I sit on it. I've never really have any issues with the plane ride, just drink lots of fluids.

Also, weirdly enough I felt really good when I was in the Caribbean. My doctor said she's heard other patients say that as well, and said something about the proximity to the equator having an effect. Who knows - maybe it just feels good to be on vacation ;)

After my trip I'm often more tired than normal for a few days, but in my opinion it's worth it and I'd do it again. It's always a great mood lifter ;) Hope it works out for you.

Take care,

Pam