Caffeine Anyone?

juliegee

Sophia!

Thanks, I'll wait for your 'unfoggy' answer! :)

I didn't know if you meant that those chemicals were just bladder irritants or also could have the effects of caffeine in the sense of causing the heart flutters, pounding, tachy, jittery junk that I get.

Even in college, before I got 'sick' I could hardly tolerate a coke! I've always been 'unique' :)

Em

Emily, I had to do some searches and took forever to find a pithy answer for you that was easy to understand.

This was the one I found. Hope this helps. So even tho products are decaff, they may still have some of these other -ines in them as well.

Caffeine belongs to a group of chemicals called xanthines which include theophylline (used in the treatment of lung diseases like emphysema and asthma) and theobromine. Xanthines stimulate the nervous system and can cause people to feel restless, nervous or unable to fall asleep. Caffeine is exreted in urine as methylxanthine and methyluric acid as a product of metabolizing caffeine

:)

I drink decaf iced tea every day. I cannot tolerate any caffeine at all. I have tried drinking decaf coffee ( including Sanka) and they must have some caffeine too because they make me tachy and very jittery, just not to the degree that caffeinated does.

my reply is based on my past experiences rather than present as my current oral intake is essentially nil & my IVs don't come with a caffeine option (hmmm....i think it does exist....maybe i should ask for some caffeine infusions to give me some energy?) but i digress....

over my years in dysautonomia land i've never had a problem with caffeine in small/moderate amounts but have never liked coffee (or anything coffee flavored) or dark sodas (coke, pepsi) or black tea so never had regular or large intake amounts. for the most part any i had was from teas with very small amounts of caffeine or chocolate, which i've never eaten in large quantities. occasionally (i.e. a few times a year) i'd have a mountain dew and never noticed a thing - good or bad - with this either, which was obviously a bit higher on the caffeine content.

at one point though, probably about five years ago, dr. grubb told me that some of his patients reported being helped by the new energy drinks (red bull & friends), if only temporarily. about the same caffeine content as several sodas or coffees i believe but more condensed. i gave it a shot & did find some benefit, though only for a few hours & then had a bit of a "crash" after. essentially the rapid intake for me felt like an extra dose of midodrine to my system.

based on my experience & conversations with dr. grubb & a few other docs, i would postulate that those helped with caffeine may correspond some with those who may benefit at some point from stimulant meds. b/c, like caffeine, these meds (ritalin, concerta, adderall, daytrana, etc) are wonderful for some & horrible for others and, like caffeine, they're stimulants that CAN work as vasoconstrictors & energy-boosters. while i haven't tried or been able to tolerate all of the stimulant meds, concerta was a miracle med of sorts for me for a few years & i wouldn't have been able to finish college or ever work full-time without it.

i know that my system seems to be slow/hypo in almost every way where some others are the opposite and for some it's a mix of both. but for me at least the correlation makes sense that my slow/hypo body has, at least at times, benefited from stimulants, either dietarily or medicinally.

:blink: melissa

The way I understand, caffeine is water soluable. So coffee is decaffeinated by soaking the beans in hot water. However, this process does not get out all of the caffeine. A very tiny bit remainss. I read an article about this process in National Geographic a year or so ago (Jan 2005?). Also, I found this link on the web that explains the decaffeination process. http://home.howstuffworks.com/question480.htm Hopefully this will answer your question, Emily.

Also, note that when coffee is decaffeinated this increases the acidity in the coffee, which can be hard on some people's stomachs. As a pot of coffee is brewing the first of the coffee to drip into the pot will have more caffeine. The last of the coffee to drip in will have less caffeine, but more acidity.

Rachel

nope cant tolerate it at all.. and i used to be a huge!!!! Mountail dew drinker! and once this tachycardia hit full speed ahead.. i stopped drinking all caffeine.. even caffeine in my beloved rees'e BP cups is just too much.. so im to the point now where i can only have a bite of a PB cup maybe once or twice a week.. anymore then that i pay paypay!

sigh)))))))))) pots really stinks!