Blood Testing For Food Allergies

goldicedance

Just curious....has anyone out here in POTSVILLE been tested for food allergies via blood tests? I know someone who was having all these mysterious symptoms which no one could figure out the case. She had these blood tests (IGG?) and found she tested positive (i.e., allergic) to some 30 food items out of the approximately 100 food items tested for. It is interesting in that she tested positive for eggs yet she had never experienced an "all out" allergic reaction.

It makes me wonder whether there are indeed things I am eatting that are aggravating my medical problems. I am not saying that if I eliminated all the foods that I should test positive for I would no longer have POTS. But perhaps in some ways food allergies might be an aggravating factor.

Your thoughts????

From what I understand IGG testing for food allergies is controversial and most allergists don't buy it. IGE testing is what most allergists go by. Of course if a particular food makes you feel bad, there are different types of intolerances. For example, I'm lactose intolerant, but not allergic.

I had asked my allergist for the blood test for eggs, wheat milk and I forget what else... the most common ones, and I was negative.

I don't think I had the IEe. I think it was IGe.

I think it's worth pursuing any avenue if it will help you.

Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you're well. :rolleyes:

just an FYI with this...I was told by a doctor in Texas (he is amazing deals with hormones and strange illnesses) that the normal range is so broad that one cannot trust it. Whats normal for me isn't normal for you...he thinks we should all get regular blood screenings every year and keep on file what levels we are. Oh an also drbob.com is a great website with tips on test....I am allergic to Gluten, Yeast, Wheat I eat organic foods and still have problems but I have noticed I am a lil stronger then before

Hi. IgE testing is for histamine-type allergies and most people know if they have these -- nuts, shellfish, airbornes, etc. The IgG, IgA, IgM tests are for the delayed allergies, with symptoms being varied and perhaps not appearing for anywhere from one hour to 4 days. Most allergists treat the IgE types, but the others are very real. They are usually treated by doctors who take care of people with complex, chronic, difficult problems.

The best book on these delayed food allergies I have read is Basics of Food Allergies, by Brenneman (not sure of exact spelling). Based on patient populations, he found that certain foods tended to cause certain symptoms. For example, not all gallbladder problems were allergy related, but if they were, it was probably eggs. Bedwetting in little boys was usually dairy.

Anyway, the controversy in food allergies may be due to other forms of diagnosis like instruments and muscle testing. But blood testing is really less controversial.

Good luck with your search for explanations.

OLL