What kind of exercise equipment to buy?

Ernie

Hi everyone,

I have been going to rehab for the past month and I see that I am doing better than before. As you know, in Canada, temperature goes from 99F to -40F. So I was thinking that maybe I could buy a piece of equipment to train at home. This would protect me from fainting on the sidewalk or crossing the street (when it gets too warm or too cold).

Do you have any advice as to what kind of equipment is good for us? I have looked at the eliptical machine, the rowing machine and the walking machine. Personally I prefer the rowing machine because I don't faint sitting. But I was wondering if it is better to train standing so that my body gets use to being upright. Dr Grubb asked me to lean on the wall for 10-20 minutes but this triggers the syncope almost everytime. So I stopped it after 2 months.

Thanks for your advice.

Ernie

:P

Hi Ernie

Dr. Grubb had me try the "leaning on the wall thing too!!", well let me tell you after trying three times, I said forget it :P Why bring symptoms on?? I just didn't get it. I know he said something like the more you do it your symptoms would improve but I could only stand there for maybe a minute and a half!!!

I have been told there is a excercise bike that has a reclining seat on that some people use, I'm sure someone reading this will know what it is called. Dr. Grubb had mentioned that to me but I have so much excercise equipment that I couldn't see purchasing any more. lol I don't use what I have!!

Good Luck

Sue

Ernie,

First question, What took you so long to quit leaning on the wall if it made you pass out :P:huh: hehehe, just kidding!

I am unable to exercise at all but I've heard good things about the total gym. You can use that in many angles/positions. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Good luck and happy exercising,

Danelle

PS-just don't lean on the wall anymore ;)

I bought a Pilates system from an NDRF board member about a year or so ago--she was so nice that she actually really gave it to me for free, I just had to pay for shipping/packing. I love the thing--but sometimes it bothers my neck. Most of the work is done lying down or seated--and emphasizes careful, controlled movement. The first time I did it, I kept thinking "this feels to easy--it's really not doing anything". But, when I woke up the next morning, OMG my muscles were talking to me!

Even if you choose no equipment at all, I would start with a routine that emphasizes strength training. Your abs and legs really do assist with your bp control--all those presyncope rescue measures that Low and the Mayo group suggest lower body work is important.

I've been able to do some cardio in the past month--first time in years, other than walking. I have "The Firm"-- which requires somewhat more coordination that I actually have :huh: The workouts are supposed to be about an hour each, but I've not been able to get past 22 minutes yet, and that includes the intro of 4 or 5 minutes where they're just explaining stuff. I have noticed that it take me more than the one day recovery they allow for in their recommended workout schedule (one day on one day off, then both weekend days off). I need at least 2 days off, usually 3. ****, it's still WAY more than I've been doing in years and years, so I'm going to take it slow (for once, since I'm really not good at that :P )

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do, and how you end up doing with it all. ;)

Thanks for your advice,

I have been thinking about what you all told me and I will go to rehab for a couple more months to see if it still helps me. Then in the cold winter month I will stay home and try the pilates or some other exercise.

I looked into equipment price and it is about 2000$ for a rowing machine, and the walking machine is even more expensive.

I might look into finding something second hand. I did not expect the equipment to be so expensive.

Ernie

I'm with you Ernie, 2nd hand is the way to go! I ended up paying about a 100$ total for my pilates machine, but I know it cost way more than that originally--basically, the lady who had it just wanted it out of her garage and most of the cost was for shipping such a heavy thing from AZ to NJ. The rest of the cost was for the packing materials.

You can try looking on eBay, under the local auctions where you can pick up your stuff from the seller. Also, larger companies who sell of stock on eBay have much better deals on shipping large items than the general public will get. Worth a shot. I've been an eBay member for more than 5 years and have NEVER had a problem with seller or buyers. In general, most people are pretty honest--and eBay is very proactive with security.

Good luck with your exercising and let us know how you do! I'm having trouble sticking to my routine--right now I need someone to prod me to do it tomorrow before I lose all my momentum.

Nina

Hi Ernie,

I've also been looking for used exercise equipment. Hopefully I'll find a bike soon ;) I've had good luck with www.craigslist.org. Not sure where you're located, but it's basically a free classified site organized by city. I've had good luck with buying furniture off there in the past.

Pam