Hypovolemia

Tessa

Hi

I had 5 tubes of blood taken the other day, and for the last 2 tubes the nurse was unable to get more blood out of my vein. I had to help her by opening and closing my hand strongly (this happens usually when I have a blood test done) ... I started feeling dizzy and with brain fog. :(

They helped me to lay down for about 10 minutes. As I felt much better (I always do when I am sitting or laying down), I went back to work.

The situation got worse.

While sitting, my pulse elevated, I felt dizzy and thirsty, had nauseas and difficulties to concentrate (brain fog), chest pain/discomfort and shortness of breath, infrequent urination (even though I started drinking a lot of water), weakness, cold hands and feet, shiverings... (I also felt I was going to pass out)

It was scary ;) and lasted for about 5 hours. Then I started feeling somewhat better.

Do you think this could be caused by Hypovolemia?

Do you have hypovolemia? Can you describe your symptoms?

What should I do to determine if I have hypovolemia and what can I do if I need another blood test?

Do you think I should have gone to a doctor when feeling so sick?

Thanking you in advance for your answers,

Regards,

Tessa

Your signature says you are anemic. That can cause problems when giving blood.

Also, hypovolemia means you have less red blood cells and plasma than is average for your body.

I had my blood volume checked at Wahington Hopital Center. Theoretically, I can be hypovolemic but show NORMAL on a CBC which checks for anemia.

Why were you having so much blood drawn? How scary to go through your symptoms!

Your signature says you are anemic. That can cause problems when giving blood.

Also, hypovolemia means you have less red blood cells and plasma than is average for your body.

I had my blood volume checked at Wahington Hopital Center. Theoretically, I can be hypovolemic but show NORMAL on a CBC which checks for anemia.

Why were you having so much blood drawn? How scary to go through your symptoms!

Thank you for answering. :(

It was first going to be a routine blood test, but because of all my "health problems" (which I suspect have to be caused by POTS), my GP thought it could be a good idea to check some other things too, such as Rheumatoid arthritis, ANA, etc. I am not quite sure of all the tests they will carry out with the blood samples. I will have the results by the end of the month.

Do you mean that even having hypovolemia, the blood test can show normal? ;)

How will they know?

Tessa,

Blood volume testing is not routinely done. It is specialized.

And, yes, my complete blood count shows as "normal" but I do not have the volume of normal. Two different tests are involved.

I found out the info on blood volume testing from this forum. I had my doctor write a prescription for whole volume testing and I went to the Washington Hospital Center.

In any case, are you being treated for your anemia?

yeah get a blood volume test... I am scheduled to have one done at the cleveland clinc here shortly..

it is my understand as others have said that you have have normal labs results.. but still have hypovolemia...

Hi futurehope

Thank you for your answer.

I will have the blood test results on November the 20th.

I had another blood test done in September 2005, when my chest pain was even worse and they said that the test was ok. The only unusual fact (but they said that was not important) was that my Uric Acid was 1.0 mg/dL and normal values fall between 3.0 and 7.0 mg/dL. My GP joked about it and said I could eat a lot of meat... Though now I wonder if that can be related with POTS

Though the blood test did not show anemia, as I am not gaining weight, feel tired and because of all the rest of symtoms, doctors thought I could benefit taking a multi-vitamin complex (Resource Complex). That?s already for 1 1/2 year.

I am looking forward to seeing the last blood test results and will keep you updated.

Take care,

Tessa