Potsy Tachy Vs. Anxiety Tachy??

cardiactec

how do you know the difference between a person who has anxiety with a person who has POTsy tachycardia on a tilt table test? someone told me you can tell the difference because an anxious person will have tachy at the very beginning of a tilt and then it will subside and a person with TRUE pots will have a sustained heart rate through the whole period of upright tilt. any thoughts?

I couldn't answer that with certainty, but only by what I experienced. I was SO stressed out when I went in for my tilt my heart was flying. When they tilted me up it went even faster and stayed up no matter how hard I tried to relax. It got up to 160 several times, but stayed in the 140's I think. When they put me down my heart rate immediately slowed. If it would have slowed during the test then I would have thought it could have been stress related, but it stayed up the whole time.

this is what happened to me as well. they put me up and it went crazy, to like 190. they put me down and though it took like 3 minutes for it to completely return to baseline, after three minutes it was slow. i felt a little stressed for the test as well but overall, i truly think it was pots driven anxiety sensations while upright

In my case, my heart rate was 80 before the test (when I was lying down, but nervous), over 130 for most of the actual test, and 60 after (when I was lying down and relaxed). I'm guessing part of the theory is that if it's anxiety, it will show before you're tilted? Just a guess, though. This is certainly more your field than mine!

spike