Gasping

India

Over the past few days I have noticed a new and alarming symptom. I am just going about my daily business, not necessarily feeling crummy, and all of a sudden I will gasp. Today it happened out of the blue as I was driving my car home from work. I felt quite o.k before and I did not notice any heart beat irregularities. But I just gasped and made a noise as if my air supply had suddenly been cut off.

I have awoken from sleep with this symptom in the past and had a sleep study which ruled out apnea.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on. It is quite worrying. My chest feels kind of hollow in the center after it happens. But I don't feel dizzy and my BP seems o.k.

All of these new things keep happening lately and it is very frustrating because I was feeling better for about a year after I was put on florinef. Other meds include Atenolol which I have taken for ten years, clonazepam for about two years, and birth control which I have been on for many, many years.

Any advice would be appreciated.

India

I find myself gasping at night and being woken up by it ...

Apart from that the stranges thing i find is a sudden pain in my chest ... like all the muscles have tightend and its suddenly hard to breath .. its kind of like a choking feeling in the upper section of my chest. I have found massaging knots out from between the ribs can really help this (but i usually need a actual massage therapist to do this and while some can manage it many have no idea how to do it).

I suppose those symptoms are not really related to yours ... sorry :(

Check with the dr that you dont have asthma or something like that (my great advice!)

Hope you find an answer :)

i have had that symptom many times it started when i first got pots or whatever the heck i have... from what i know i dont have asma dont know whats casuing it i feel lightheaded alot and when that gasping thiing happens it feels like my heart stops and i stop breathing then i gasp and get it back its quite scary.. i dont know why i have pots yet no clue....my ist main symptoms were waking up with a numb arm pressure in the head like all the time lightheadeness feeling liek passing out fast heart rate while standing somtimes even sitting but way worse standing oh and my favorite tightning in throat and espogause

I get this too. Your autonomic system can't regulate itself like a *normal* person's. So it will either over-react when you do the slightest thing or will lag behind then suddenly go into overdrive as it didnt speed up your breathing and heart rate a little like a normal persons and suddenly you'll gasp or get the heart pounding etc