Port-a-cath/perm-a-cath Questions

Kitsakatsa

Could you please share your port-a-cath experiences with me? I just received one on Friday and I'm still so sore. When I bend over I nearly die. I've learned to apply pressure over it when I bend, but I swear that the thing has spikes on it. I had a picc line, but had a severe allergy to the dressing adhesives. That site is still raw and throbbing and now I feel like my whole body is rejecting foreign material of any matter!!

I haven't been able to take any time off and if I'm not better in the next day or so, I think I'm going to need to shut down the demands and take some time. But, I wanted to know if other people had the same experience and how long it took before they could sleep in any normal position etc. I tried taking percocet, but I was fainting in 3 seconds instead of the usual 30. So now just Advil.

I can see the chest bruising, but why is this thing so painful? I feel like I'm going to just burst into tears at the drop of a hat! :)

Sorry you are having such a difficult time with pain.

I've not yet had a port implanted so I'm limited in information.

I did want to tell you though that when I had my pacemaker implanted I had pain similar to what you are describing. The pacemaker is implanted much deeper though.

Pain is such an individual thing; I've had a lot of nerve pain with my picc line. Is it possible that your port is laying on or around a nerve?

I know it took me a good 7-10 days when I had my pacer implanted to not have a lot of pain, to be able to sleep on that side etc.

As long as you don't have extreme swelling (you may have some if the procedure was just done), fever or any other signs of infection.

Remember, to some degree your body will try to fight this port---it's a foreign object in your body and it DOES take time for your body to adjust and heal.

Be gentle with yourself and if you can, please do take a few days off to rest. You will probably also find that the more active you are with that side/arm right now the more irritated it may feel.

My port implementation recovery was HARD. It took me a week before I was able to rest comfortably. Ask for pain meds for your nights if needed.

Carmen

sorry that you're having such a rough time. there are only two active forum members that have had or do have ports as far as i know so you probably won't get a lot of specific feedback...just wanted to give you that heads up.

when my broviac line was implanted i had a lot of pain for several days, made worse by movement. it wasn't as bad as what you're describing but getting a port placed is a lot more invasive than a tunnelled catheter so it honestly doesn't surprise me too much. i would definitely be getting in touch with a doctor though...either the one who ordered the port or the surgeon who placed it. they may just tell you to hang in there but i'd still give at least one of them a ring.

hang in there the best you can. i hope you get relief soon,

:) melissa

Thank you for your help. The AM after I posted this, the pain was so bad that it would completely take my breath away and it became constant. I visited with interventional radiology (coincidently, I work in the OR) and they said that it was abnormal, but didn't want to go in after it. We are giving it a bit of time. I've taken the next 2 off work + the weekend. I accidently leaned too far back in the recliner in the middle of the night and woke up screaming. We will see how it goes.

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I hope the pain goes away soon for you. Have you talked to your doc to see if this level of pain is normal???

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I hope the pain goes away soon for you. Have you talked to your doc to see if this level of pain is normal???

I've had a portacath since last january. The pain was not so bad as you describe. I thinkt that you should check with your doctor asap. perhaps you have an infection. i had chemo via the port within a couple days of its insertion.\

by the way, the portacath insertion was much much less painful than a pacer insertion. \i know; i have both.\\good luck, lois