Does Noise Bother Anyone?

DSM3KIDZ

Lately I really feel like I'm losing my mind. I am so close to feeling almost normal except for these potsie episodes I keep getting. I've been noticing that they happen alot when their is alot of noise around me. Ex. Yesterday I was at a resturant and it was loud and I was trying to listen to my friend but all the background talking really made me feel over whelmed than I started feeling lightheaded, heart racing and just feeling nervous. Once I tuned out the noise (which is hard for me ) I felt better. Is that pots or is something wrong with my ears. I guess I just feel over stimulated and I don't know how to avoid it or why all of a sudden it's happening. I also think that's what's happening in the car all the noises from the car, the kids etc is just becoming overwhelming to me and now I have anxiety driving .

But at home I'm fine. The kids can be totally crazy and music and tv can be on and I'm totally chilled

What is going on? Am I going loopy?

I guess I'm freaking out because I don't know if this is my autonomic nervous system going wild or am I slowly losing my marbles which is a VERY scary thought for me.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Ernie thank you.....................I feel so alone with this one and explaining it to others makes me doubt my great mind.

Don't you hate it when your strolling along fine than out of nowhere comes another new symtpom you need to try to tackle. Autonomics is soooooooooooooooooooooooo complicated.

Dayna

I feel just the same. I get overwhelmed in noisy, crowded shopping malls and stores, airports, or just about anywhere where there is a lot of noise. Even before I was diagnosed with pots and I started having severe POTS symptoms I was like that. I am not sure if this was an early POTS symptom or is unrelated. But I do know that now overweening noise brings on sweating, nausea and dizziness--all of the POTS symptoms.

My husband, who has fibromyalgia, is also super sensitive to noise as well, and visual and aural overload is apparently a common complaint amongst people who suffer from that affliction. To my knowledge, a lot of people who have POTS also have fibromyalgia.

India

Hey,

I think noise bothers me more when I'm not in control of it. Like you said, home noise, music in the car or the kids noise doesn't bother me but someone elses tv or noise in a restaurant or store drives me crazy. I also have a big problem with too much light. I think it has alot to do with pots. I also have CFS, so maybe it is a little of both. You all are always such a big help to me. Thanks,

Donna

Yes, I get very symptomatic in loud restaurants -- even though I am sitting and my HR is OK, I feel very POTsy!

Hey,

I think noise bothers me more when I'm not in control of it. Like you said, home noise, music in the car or the kids noise doesn't bother me but someone elses tv or noise in a restaurant or store drives me crazy. I also have a big problem with too much light. I think it has alot to do with pots. I also have CFS, so maybe it is a little of both. You all are always such a big help to me. Thanks,

Donna

Hi! I get that all the time, too. Sometimes I'm fine and can be in a restaurant, but other times, it's absolutely miserable, especially if I'm trying to listen to someone talk (especially in class)... sometimes I just have to leave because I can't handle it. Yuck.

The two types of noises that bother me are bass beats from (usually other people's) music and chatter. The bass upsets my head something awful, it's like my brain tries to pound in time to the beat. Environmental noises don't bother me but the noise from crowds does. I think my brain tries to process all the conversations going on around me and gets overwhelmed. I don't know why people talking gives me so much trouble when I can just tune out TV, traffic, construction, and my parrot chattering away non-stop.

You know what else gets me really bad? My husband's SNORING :D . He doesn't do it often, but when he does it's like someone is trying to saw into my head and I want to run screaming out of the room (and probably would if I could do so w/o falling down) :D Isn't that silly?

Believe me, you are not the only one! My symptoms come and go depending on how stable I am, how tired I am, how much I've done in that day. Noises I'm not used to are harder for me to process and therefore more difficult to handle. I am easily overwhelmed with things I haven't been exposed to in a while. I try to gradually work up to increasing new situations, sounds, sights, places.... I've just gotten out of the hospital after being there for 4 weeks. I'm in P.T. and they say that over stimulation feeling is normal for recovery after being so sick for so long. I think having autonomic problems keeps our bodies in a state of recovering so often that processing sights and sounds we're not as used to is difficult and therefore overwhelming at times.