Is Anyone Like Me?

ckteach

Hi all-

I am new today, but I have read so much on this website already. Wondering if anyone might be living a parallel life as me.

I actually started with imbalance about 7 years ago, but that was it, for a very long time. I was diagnosed with BPPV (Benign Postionall Vertigo) and was given an Epley Maneuver at Johns Hopkins 3 years ago that helped. Doing pretty good after that but still days with shifts of imbalance throughout. I had occassional numbness and weakness in the limbs, trigeminal neuralgia (facial pain), and long-standing neck pain (bulging discs) throughout as well. I've been working full-time as a third grade teacher- good days and bad days- but was getting by. Oh, and I have Hashimotos and positive turned negative Mysathenia Gravis and Lupus. Lots of weird stuff...like most of you it seems.

Now it all seems to be escalating- imbalance very variable, palpitations, legs that always feel "prickly", and most of all to move my eyes or neck around too fast will absolutely cause imbalance- hard as a teacher when kids are moving around you constantly vying for your attention. Seems like they come at my from all sides :) . When standing still I need to hold a wall or lean...standing still is hard...I teach constantly moving all the time. Are there any other teachers out there dealing with this?

I saw a doc in Media, PA. Nice man and very attentive. Deals with autonomic disorders and says I don't have POTS, but definitely orthostatic intolerance. Is that progressive? He put me on fludrocortisone and potassium. I started yesterday. If I get side effects, should I know by now?

Just wondering if anyone is leading my life? I suspect many. THANKS!

Cindy

Hi,

I do share the turning the head and eye movements to fast I get dizzy, off balance. I get this at times out of nowhere. Just get hit with dizziness. If this happens in the evening then I have to sleep up with pillows propped underneath me and can't move my head from side to side for usually about 9-10 hrs then it slowly gets better. If I get it during the day, it is really tough because of work and driving. I also suffer from palpitations, come and go.

We may not lead parellel lives but do share some symptoms. :) Good that you have a Dr. who is listening and working with you.

Welcome to the board.

The head and eye movements that make you dizzy sounds like benign positional vertigo (something like that!) it's easily cured.

It does sound like this, but just to add, I have very similar symptoms as well, but they have done everything to treat me for this from inner-ear dizziness medication to at home exercises for BPPV to the Epley manuever, to the Epley manuever six times within two weeks (thinking maybe since I was young, I had a lot more "crystals" than most to get put back in my inner-ear), to the Epley manuever three times a week along with doing it at home every day with assistance by my boyfriend whom the physical therapist trained to do it, and NONE OF IT helped!

So, I am still trying to figure it out...I don't remember which site I read this on, but I have read on a couple occassions that with POTS, a patient can experience "vertigo" on a regular basis (like that with BPPV), as well as get "dizziness" while lying down: both of these are true for me, so I've put on hold trying to treat this type of symptom and am focusing on the fainting/near-fainting and accompanying symptoms I get for now.

:)

Sarah