Winded/lightheaded While Walking

mkoven

Hi,

I've been diagnosed with neurocardiogenic syncope. I've had holter monitors and an echocardiogram. the only thing that came back off was tachycardia, but a normal rhythm.

I've been trying to exercise. I'm able to use the recumbnet bike for 24 minutes and do pilates with little problem. but when I walk for more than 2-3 minutes I get incredibly short of breath, tired, light headed, sweaty, and a little funniness in my left arm.

I'm concerned that there might be something else than ncs going on. Does this sound like ncs? The electrophysiologist I saw said that ncs shouldn't make me short of breath or cause lightheadedness while exercising--just after. (and that's true for me when I bike.) Could it just be that walking, because I'm more upright, is more taxing on my system? I just want to make sure that I don't have some blockages in addition to ncs.

I'm 39, female, have eds, and dhave never smoked. I had a stress echo with dobutamine 2 years ago which was fine. They were going to repeat it, but i had a severe allergic reaction to the ekg adhesive, so wouldn't repeat it.

I just can't tell anymore when to be concerned. I don't want to run to the er all the time. If I'm just deconditioned, maybe I should continue trying to walk, just more slowly?

HI,

I also have the lightheaded and winded feeling...Funny I saw this post when I did cuz it's how I am feeling right now sitting...I am guessing this is all part of the POTS, etc. :)

Jacquie

The electrophysiologist I saw said that ncs shouldn't make me short of breath or cause lightheadedness while exercising--just after.

That makes no sense. Of course you can have shortness of breath or ligthheadedness while exercising. Heck, healthy people have those problems when they push themeselves too hard at their workout. And for people with NCS standing up/walking is often pushing yourself too hard.

i know exactly how u feel i feel like that all the time no energy like i ran a marathon always tired short of breath and lightheaded all the time ive noticed i feel the most normal when i first wake up i feel like myself laying in bed and i dont wanna move lol but i have to eventually and then its right back to feeling liek crap until i wake up again the next day/// oh and ive had echocardiogram ekgs as well and passed them all it showed ever was on a stress test that i had a fast heart rate way too fast but normal ryhtm so your not the only one who feels that way

I find that walking is a very bad form of exercise for me. Even when I was healthy enough to do 20 minutes of aerobics at a time, 20 minutes of walking left me feeling sick and lightheaded. My best guess is that walking isn't vigorous enough to get my circulation going enough to compensate for being upright.

I don't know what causes it, whether it's just POTS or there's something else at work. As for when to get something checked out, I mainly go by previous experience. If I've felt this way before and come out of it on my own, I don't worry too much. If it's something new, I check with my doctor. But then, my symptoms came on gradually over the course of about 20 years, so I had plenty of time to get used to them. :)

spike

I find that walking is a very bad form of exercise for me. Even when I was healthy enough to do 20 minutes of aerobics at a time, 20 minutes of walking left me feeling sick and lightheaded. My best guess is that walking isn't vigorous enough to get my circulation going enough to compensate for being upright.

I don't know what causes it, whether it's just POTS or there's something else at work. As for when to get something checked out, I mainly go by previous experience. If I've felt this way before and come out of it on my own, I don't worry too much. If it's something new, I check with my doctor. But then, my symptoms came on gradually over the course of about 20 years, so I had plenty of time to get used to them. :D

spike

I did end up going to the er-- and was admitted. EKG and 3 repeat cardiac enzymes normal. They just released me and want me to come back tomorrow morning for a dobutamine stress test. the doctors there had a pretty restricted definition of how ncs should manifest-- and didn't think my description of symptoms fit. Don't know what to think. But at least we can rule some things out with the stress test.

Hello MKoven , I get this problem to, even worse when I face towards the wind :D and we can have some pretty strong winds by the sea.

I always thought it was due to me having had heart failure, pulmonary oedema and a shadow on the lung ........... :D leaving my lungs in a ' bit of a state' I find I get tired a lot quicker in 'winds' and also when its an ice cold wind............I dont even bother going out as I just cannot get breath.

I cannot exercise in the normal way at all ,because of my arthritis ( have tried so many times) so walking is my only form of regular fitness exercise taken...........but to much walking about kicks in...............' the others '........as I like to call them now :D headaches, pain, sweating, sickness .

Living by the sea with such wonderful coastal walks is sole destroying at times.

Willows............HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO YOU ALL :D