Sleep Apnea----sleep Study

Maxine

Today I went to see my pulminologist after getting a phone call yesterday that my sleep study showed 51 respiratory events in 1 hour. He said I have severe sleep apnea.

I have to go for another sleep study with a CPAP machine----------uggg---loads of fun there.

Apparently the way my larynx is shaped is the cause. I have all sorts of bony abnormalities in my cervical spine/cranial area---so it doesn't surprise me that I have more structural problems.

He said I can't continue on this way or I could have a stroke---or heart problems-----and he stressed this in light that I have other problems making it all the worse.

---After hearing this I wonder how I function ---period-------------

Monday I'll be seeing a neurologist to see what those white lesions in the peri ventricular area of my brain are all about.

It's good that I'm getting more answers, but bad because this is not going away....

Maxine :0)

sorry to hear about yet another diagnosis - i can empathize - but the good news is it's an answer that many times brings a solution and some relief. i have sleep apnea myself, diagnosed about a year ago, and sleep with a machine now. the key is finding a mask that you like & that fits well...don't put up with anything other than something you can deal with. while unfortunately it wasn't the case for me, most with apnea feel MUCH better after starting & getting used to treatment. so while it obviously won't fix everything you may be able to look forward to some relief some some degree of fatigue &/or other symptoms.

i hope that ends up being the case for you.

:) melissa

Hi Maxine,

I am sorry you have another diagnosis on your long list. I am proud of you for pulling through this sleep study because I remember that you had a few done and you cannot sleep. So finally you are getting some result and the sleep area. I have a CPAP and it has improved my quality of life.

Maxine,

I'm sorry you have to go through another sleep study. I was also unable to sleep when I had one last year, and it made for a miserable night. Ironic, as they were checking for narcolepsy. My sister was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and has been using a CPAP for a year, and she says it makes so much difference it's worth all the inconvenience. I hope the same is true for you.

spike

HOLY CR** MAXINE!!! I thought you said 51 episodes in a night...(forgive me if i missubderstood you the other.. i was having slow brain day).. 51 episodes in an hour.. geeesh!! thats nuts.. let me know how it goes with neuro and stuff.. OK!!!!

I hope that a c-pap machine will help you get a most restful sleep.. and tht you might feel better and a bit more energitic!! hang in there ju ju...

luv and hugs

dizz

Hey Dizz-----I thought it was 51 episodes in a night also------------but it turned out to be in one hour.....

This is why he said my situation severe apnea......I'll get the report in a couple of days

Thanks for all the replies and support everyone! Holy Crap is right Dizz-------I'm having trouble holding my head up------------It just feels like my symptoms did such an excelleration this summer---------I just feel so limited........

Social life is the pits-----can't even go out to play cards---eucre-----I'd have to sit there too long.

My husband an I went out to dinner last night, and I couldn't enjoy it. I felt miserable. Then his brother wanted us to come over to his in-laws. I didn't want to go---but thankfully they had a couch that was very comfortable---and I could lean my body back to take the weight of my head off my neck. We only stayed for about an hour...

I'm depressed---and mad at the same time. Still trying to figure out why a medical professional put me in such a bad position putting me in a functional capacity exam that had physical tasks that could be dangerous for my condition. Apparently they didn't believe what I told them about my condition----nor did they believe what the NSG reports were saying. All this stuff was in my file when the FC testing was ordered.

This was in July-----and now I pay the price in more ways then you could ever imagine. I'm still struggling to make sense of this......

Maxine,

Whoa! 51 episodes in an hour!

I know it is a total bummer to have another thing to deal with, but I do agree with Sunfish...this is something you can actually work with! The CPAP machine may really help you and you may have improvements in your fatigue, which would be a gift....so, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Emily

It can't be 51 episodes in an hour---could it? I'm so brain fogged---did I hear him worng?

He said I had 51 episodes---but I'm not sure if he said an hour now----I'll have to wait until I get the report.....That can't be right........

He gave me so many numbers---then he compared it with other people who have moderate to severe sleep apnea---and said my numbers were worse----------

When I get my report in the mail---I'll send the details.

For some reaosn ---i'm just mad as you know what today----I can't get anything to go right.......

yep, it definitely can be that many an hour. i believe that around 35 or 40/hour is when the label for severe is used. believe it or not there are LOTS of people with apnea and a good number even with severe. i've "seen" people who have upwards of even 100+ episodes/hour (though that is definitely more unusual). i found a lot of info on a forum for sleep apnea when i was first diagnosed that you may want to peruse. the link is http://www.apneasupport.org.

regardless though it is definitely a good idea to get a copy of your sleep study...the summary, the full results & the accompanying graphs/charts. if they give you trouble about getting it insist.

:) melissa

My goodness, 51 episodes in an hour! I'm surprised you are even functioning at all...What's next? CPAP?? I'm glad you got some answers to your sleep study. My docs are going to have me get a sleep study...How bad is it? I have probs getting to sleep, so who knows?!?!

:)

Jacquie

Correction kids-------------it was not 51 episodes in one hour.

I have the report now----The total was 51 in 3 hours of actual sleep, but the sleep was very fragmented----4 obstructive apneas, 47 hypopneas and apnea-hypopnea index elevated at 17.1 event's per hour, and 24 lying on back. Sleep architecture was notable for issues with moderate amount of sleep fragmentation appreciated. The good news is that I lost 12 pounds since last year according to the reports. Other bad news is that I lost an inch in height----not good, meaning that cranila settling may be a reality---or the person measuring my height is not correct.

The Doc has me listed as "slightly overweight" by the numbers he sees, but not "OBESE" like a certain misinformed NP has listed on the clinical notes. Now moving from a size 12 to a 10 if I continue on this good path. I just think my appetite is not the same which helps--since avoiding sugar, my taste for it is not the same----A GOOD THING.

I really didn't think I had apnea------------but everything from the lower neck up is not shaped correctly----so it's not surprise to me that he said my larnyx isn't shaped right---causing the apnea. It's funny how you don't relaize your waking up that many times a night. I assumed I woke up 2 to 3 times a night. they told me that I won't remember anything under a certain amount of time---I can't remember how much they told me though.

Now all I have to work on is getting POTSPLACE on my new lap top. I don't remember my password---and I went to that web page and requested a new one, but never got a response---from the admin........

You all take care-------and sorry for not posting much lately----I'm not feeling that good---so a lot of my energy has been focused on family............

Maxine - did you also have any muscle twitches? In addition to the apneas, my huspand had 165 muscle twitches during his test which also disrupt your sleep pattern. I was aware that he moved during the night but neither of us would have guessed anything near that number of occurrences. I don't notice him twitching now so maybe even the ones that were undetectable to me have stopped too.