Dr's Appointment Today

Hi,

Just got back from my dr's appointment. I was supposed to get a holter but they were out so go back in Tuesday. B)

Today they did blood work and an annual pap. Unfortunately I found a lump in my right breast about a week ago.....still there. They wanted me to do a mammogram but the office won't let me because of my age. So I go in for an ultra sound Monday.

They are also doing a chest x-ray and ultra sound of my gallbladder. I guess because of the chest pain I have been having? Trying to rule out more things I suppose.

She said they know the heart itself is fine, it's just the tachycardia that is causing the problems. They just don't know what's causing the tachycardia. B)

I was a wreck in the office today.......but I'm hoping that things will fall in place soon.

Thanks for listening,

Amber

amby i am sorry nothing got accomplished for you yet. age? why would age be an issue? i don't know anything about bc or any thing that goes along with it. they need to hurry up and get the ball rolling on you. hopefully will get answers for you and i pray that they are all good answers.

dionna B)

i am sorry that they weren't able to do the holter.

i think that they want to do more tests to rule out important (or lifethreatening) illnesses. it might feel uncomfortable, but i do think it is important.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed for the breast ultrasound! you already have enough on your plate.

corina B)

Amber,

Crappy appointment with no real results. I"m so sorry. No wonder we don't like to go to the doctor. How old are you; why wouldn't they do a mammogram? I was freaked out because of a lump on my breast for a long time, and nobody would really say or do anything about it. It wasn't until I got to the Mayo Clinic that a wonderful internist there said it was cysts. Anyway, I hope things go better.

Kady

Guest sonotech

Amber,

They won't do mammograms on "young" women because their breasts are more dense (breast tissue gets fatty after having babies and as we get older) and the mammo can't see well through dense tissue.

So, the ultrasound is used because you have a "palpable" lump and the ultrasound tech can just locate the lump by "feel" and do an ultrasound in the exact spot.

The good new is....ultrasound is great for determining whether a mass is a cyst or something more worrisome like a solid mass. Also the shape of the lump seen in the ultrasound can tell the doc alot about the potential for malignancy.

All of the hospitals I worked in, the radiologist woulg come in the room and look at the breast ultrasound and if that is the case for you, then you should know your results right away because the radiologist can tell you what he thinks it looks like.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!!!

Thanks,

I'm waiting to go to my appointment. I'm worried though because they told me no food or drink, not even water for 8 hours. Then told me not to eat anything after 5:30am. But that would have made it 10 hrs. So I went with the 8 hrs. (for the ultra sound of the gallbladder)

I'm already feeling dehydrated. :) But I'm trying to keep myself busy as to not think about it. Maybe if I take a shower the water will seep through my pores. LOL :P

I'm 25, but my breasts are far from being dense. I breast fed with my last child too, so things aren't "young" in that department. If you know what I mean. But I'm glad they agreed to the ultra sound, with breast cancer being on both sides of my family I would feel much better knowing it's nothing.

If I hear anything today I will let you know.

Thanks all,

Amber