Relapses

kholdefer

Hi everybody. I have been reading the posts on this forum for about a year and have been both kind of shy of posting myself, and also wanting to think I would be better any minute and didn't need to. I am 24 and was diagnosed with POTS last January, but am pretty sure I have been sick since at least last July. I had terrible experiences with doctors, but felt very optimistic when was finally diagnosed. I have been swimming every day and and felt like I was getting better. However, the last couple weeks, I feel like I have been run over by a truck, and am experiencing a bunch of new symptoms. This has made me very depressed, and pretty scared. My new symptoms have been knee and foot tingling so bad I can hardly walk, I pee constantly, and also one day my arm went dead. My arm was all heavy and I literally couldn't use it. I wanted to know if this kind of stuff happened to anybody else. I'm scared to go to a doctor, because I know they'll just think I'm crazy again. I also wanted to thank everybody for this forum. I read it when I think nobody understands how I'm feeling, and it makes me feel sane. Thank you

Kady

Hi, Kady. Have you discussed your symptoms with the doctor that diagnosed you with POTS? Based on your description of symptoms, you definitely sound like you are in a bad flare. The numbness of your arm is concerning- and yes, it does need to be checked out. It could be something insignificant or not. In my situation, my numbness has been associated with horrific migraines. Others have had pitched nerves which have caused numbness in arms. However, since it is a new symptom for you it would be wise to have it checked out. Good luck to you.

Carmen

Thank you both for your responses. I know I should go to my doctor. I get really anxious when I go to the doctor, because they kept telling me that I was fine for so long, and I wasn't. The last time I saw my POTS doctor, he told me I was way better and I needed to do more exercises so I wouldn't just be sitting around getting fat. But I just need to suck it up and get in there. The bad thing is, the worse I feel, the less energy I have to actually go to a doctor and explain myself so I make sense. I guess I'm just down because my doctor kind of explained that I would be better within a certain amount of time, and all of a sudden I feel way worse. It helps to read the posts on this forum, though, to know that people have been through way more and come out the other side, or at least are still going.

Kady

Welcome, Kady

Most of us know how it feels to be told we are just anxious, stressed, etc. But we know when it is something real and maybe serious. No-one appreciates how much courage it takes to make the decision to risk being told again that it is "nothing", let alone actually get yourself to the doctor's office. I am usually nervous and uncomfortable in waiting rooms wondering how a visit will go.

But know that when you do get this new stuff checked out, you can come back to the forum here and tell us all about it. So just pretend we are going with you.

OLL

Hi Kady,

I know how you feel with the dr stuff. I'm afraid to talk about my symptoms or any new symptoms because I'm afraid that he will say it's nothing. So in all honesty I'm hindering myself.

You have lots of support here! Write down what you have concerns about. Then you don't have to remember. (I need to take my own advice)

Take care of yourself,

Amber

Thank you all! Today is an even worse day, so it really helped to read responses. I did, thanks to all your support, call my cardiologist today and he is going to get back to me. And so the journey begins. :)

Thanks again

Kady

welcome aboard. there is no reason at all to be shy here. we are all "crazy" here B) or so they drs and others have called us. we do all have crazy problems atleast. i hope that your appointment with your cardiologist is successful and let us know how it goes. feel free to post anytime okay. take care of yourself.

dionna B)