numb arms

Merrill

So tonight I went to the world's easiest, slowest, loveliest, and most relaxing yoga class... and once again, I had the weirdest arm symptom I thought I'd share--and see if anyone else has this. When I raise my arm/s overhead--whether standing or laying flat on my back, I kind of lose feeling in my arms. Then (especially if I'm standing), when I lower my arm back down, I feel incredible heat (blood?) rush down my arm and into my fingers. It's not particularly pleasant... I kept finding myself wimping out--not holding the stretches or doing the moves. I know that's OK, and you gotta do what you gotta do--I mean hey, I made it to class didn't I? I know that's a very good sign... (I reminded the teacher today afterwards why I couldn't hold my arms up so he wouldn't wonder, but still it made me feel odd and sad.)

Also, during the night while I'm sleeping my arms and/or hands go numb.

This is all just funky pots stuff, right? Does anyone else have this?

Thanks,

m

I had similar symptoms; mine were from spinal nerve root impingement. Took a long time to be diagnosed because I had so much other stuff going on that it was hard to separate out. Sounds to me like something you should tell you doctor about (neurologist, maybe?).

Nina :rolleyes:

Guest tearose

Merrill, you have this in common with me too! This is different than the regular numbness and tingling, right? For me, it is usually my left arm and hand and sometimes my right too, but my arm and hand will be so numb and asleep that I have to use my other hand and arm to pick it up and move it! When I went to the Mayo Clinic in MN, they did a test that showed some mild "thoractic outlet syndrome", in certain positions...which means when I am lifting my arms over my head, OR sleeping with them in certain positions, the nerves are "impinged" (as I think Nina mentioned) and it will cause the numbness. I wasn't told that the dysautonomia is related to this. I was told that it is anatomical and that being of Italian heritage and I inherited the "sunken chest" that many Italians apparently have. FYI, when you have a sunken chest, the pressure of the rib cage on other things like nerves is not unsual. I actually do find that when I'm exercising or my weight is down and there is less fat on my ribs, I am more symptomatic with the arm numbness...like recently because I've been packing boxes! Sorry to not be putting my words together so well, I'm a bit antsy due to the change in weather and my slow and steady stream of packing...I don't multi-task as well as I use to. Best regards, tearose

In my early days of POTS I used to have my arm -- one or both -- go numb during sleep and it was pretty scary. Like Tearose said I would have to use the other arm to lift and massage it for a long time to restore feeling and then I would breathe a sigh of relief! On occasion my leg might do the same. I think it is just a postural thing. My dr. test carpal tunnel but it was negative. I really think it is related to POTS. As I have made improvements, I rarely have this happen any more.

I hope you find some answers. I do easy ypga too and don't try to hold any poses over my head. I can manage if I am lying down for a few seconds.

Merrill- this is VERY common when you are doing yoga. It's hard for PTOS patients to hold their arms above the head for a long period of time. When I do yoga I just hoold it as long as I can and *very* slowly release the arms down. I know the exact sensation that you are describing!! Just take it easy- and enjoy the yoga, it's one of the most beneficial exercises for POTS!!