Heart Murmur

jkapache

I WAS AT MY RHUEMOTOLOGIST TODAY AND HE WAS LISTENING TO MY HEART AND ASKED IF ANYONE EVER TOLD ME I HAD A HEART MURMUR? NO ONE HAD! IS THIS SOMETHING COMMON IN PPL WITH POTS? HE SAID ALOT OF PPL HAVE THEM, AND IT ISNT A BIG DEAL- HE WENT ON TO TELL ME ABOUT MINE- BUT CUT HIM SELF OFF, AND LATER SAID HE WAS SENDING ME FOR AN ECHOCARDIOGRAM. JUST CURIOSE IF MURMURS ARE COMMON WITH POTS? THANKS!

With those of us who have mitral valve prolapse and dysautonomia- yes, murmurs are quite common. Murmurs are usually benign even though they may cause uncomfortable symptoms. It is always good to have them checked out as a preventative measure. My murmur is pretty significant and tends to hurt the doctors' and nurses ears with they listen. I have several cardiac diagnoses including tachy-brady syndrome (I now have a pacer) so hopefully, yours is just a normal "variation". Good luck!

Carmen

Hi Jess, just a quick request--please write in regular lower case letters--online, all caps is considered yelling; also it's harder to read.

As for murmurs-they are quite common in the general population-i've not read anything saying that our crew has more than the general population, with the exception of those with EDS b/c that can cause the valves to be a bit "floppy" and therefore result in a murmur. Also, those with true MVP definitely have a murmur--MVP overlaps in symptoms with all the autonomic problems, and itself can be the root cause; however, many of us don't have any known "mechanical" problems and yet still have POTS.

nina