Natural Air Freshiner

Dizzy Dame

Hi all,

(I wasn't sure if this is a "chit-chat" post or not...but hopefully it's in the right place.)

I'm like many of you and can't handle harsh odors or chemicals. Even air freshiners make my sinuses clamp shut. Since getting sick, I've missed having scented candles to make my house smell yummy, but a few days ago I was talking with my boyfriends sister and she told me a few natural ways to freshen the smell in my house without having to use any chemicals at all.

Basically I take a small pot of water (about 1-2 cups) then put in a few shakes of cinnamon, ground clove and nutmeg, then put the flame on just enough to keep it at a low boil. Viola! Within 10 minutes, the whole house smells like christmas, and it's not a harsh odor at all, it didn't make me dizzy even for a second!

Of course, I don't leave the stove unattended for more than a few minutes, but the pot only needs that long to perfume the whole house. Then I turn the flame off and set the pot aside.

I've been doing this twice a day for the past few days and my house now smells so wonderful...especially since we're having cold weather, the smell of cinnamon is particularly nice this time of year.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with the rest of you who can't handle harsh smells, but want your house to smell pretty.

Lauren,

Funny you posted that b/c I have been trying to find unscented candles to no avail. (Okay, I haven't myself been shopping but my mom has looked everywhere).

After my GB surgery she found a pillar candle in a jar that was unscented and I loved it...but they no longer have them at Wegmans.

Your idea is great, but I honestly don't have the energy to do that much work!

I like to have a candle lit in my room at night while I listen to my books. But, most are soooo strong and my room is pretty small.

I would love suggestions also!!!

For the bathroom, after a smelly poop (sorry, TMI?) I like the natural sprays that are lemon or lime.

I do have to stay away from the chemical stuff too, but I miss the smell.

I use a lot of lotions that I can tolerate after my bath...so that helps me get the sensory satisfaction of smell.

Em

I just saw some unscented candles @ Pier 1 Imports store. Not sure if you are near one but maybe you could look online. :)

I picked up an unscented pillar candle at World Market last year. You might also try something like Gaiam (gaiam.com) or another company that specializes in natural products. You'll pay through the nose (as it were), but you may even find something made with soy instead of petroleum products.

For a nice scent in the air, I have a little clay ring that sits on top of a light bulb. You put a few drops of water and essential oil in it, and the heat from the bulb diffuses the oil.

QS,

Thank you.

Where did you get the clay ring? And what oils to you prefer? I have heard of doing this, and kinda forgot, but it's an easy, safe solution too. (Except having to wash out the ring if you want a different scent that day?).

I really want candles that are in a jar, as the pillar ones make me nervous in case I do leave them room or would fall asleep (which has really never happened b/c I have to have all the lights out and blah de blah and can't imagine falling asleep with a flickering candle).

Yes, the one I had from Wegman's actually wasn't made from petroleum, which made it nice.

I will have to do more looking. Next time I get a Gaiam catalog, I'll check it out.

It's just funny that Lauren posted this now, b/c my mom has been looking the whole last month and I feel so badly for her, b/c it was supposed to be an 'easy' gift to find!

Em

I have found that soy or beeswax candles, even if they are scented naturally, do not bother me. The beeswax ones are clean-burning and have a natural honey smell, which is nice. I use these for tea lights and get soy candles in the larger size.

Amy

Where did you get the clay ring? And what oils to you prefer? I have heard of doing this, and kinda forgot, but it's an easy, safe solution too. (Except having to wash out the ring if you want a different scent that day?).

Actually, the ring was a gift from my cousin, who was studying aromatherapy at the time, so I don't know where to tell you to look. I usually use lavendar or lemon. I really like them, and they're supposed to help with energy (again according to my cousin). I don't bother to wash out the ring. There's probably a little of the old oil left over, but I don't notice it in the smell.

There's a woman here in Columbus who sells soy candles in jars. She does sell unscented ones, and I think she only uses natural scents in the others. I walked past her booth the first time without noticing it, so they're relatively mild. I can't get within 20 feet of a Bath and Body Works without getting a headache. It looks like she sells online, too, at www.joyofsoyshop.com.