Tests For Pheochromocytoma Accurate?

Radha

i am sorry if this question has already been asked, but from what i have been reading about pheo, it sounds exactly like what i go thru every time i eat, but i was wondering how accurate the tests are for this problem and if i was getting tested when i wasnt having an episode then wouldnt the test be normal?? so do i have to get tested while having an episode, which is kind of impossible! any help would be appreciated, thanks alot

radha

http://www.endocrineweb.com/pheo.html

A good endocrinologist is needed to order and interpret these tests. I have had testing twice years ago. all normal. I had to do the urine collection over a 24 hr period...NORMAL..then we tried to catch other things going on by having me do the catch when feeling extra puny..all turned out normal.

If you have a pheo, urine tests are more sensitive. Or a scan of the adrenals can be done to show abnormalities. Hope this helps.

I've been tested twice since the first time one of the tests came out just a little above normal.

The 24hr urine was negative. There is a plasma free blood test they take to check the metaneprhine levels. Supposedly they are the most sensitve and can detect pheo even when one is not in an episode. But, just getting stuck by the needle can increase the circulating metanephrines so things can be a little high but normal. That is what I was told.

My second plasma free test came back negative. Though my endo and cardio both said nothing about the first test being a little above normal, I insisted a few monthls later in getting retested.

thanks for you replies, the one thing is i dont have the high blood pressure, but from what i read, you can still have this pheo without the high bp although its rare, and i dont want to go thru repeated tests trying to prove i have this, but i have every other symptom listed, but still i am thinking just forget about it, since it is obviously so hard to prove, thanks again for your input,

radha