Er Vist Tonight

AJVDK

Well today was the third day of my migraine. It hurt so bad that I could even lay my head on the pillow on my bed as it hurt so much. I got it on Tuesday, and took pain pills on Tuesday, on Wednesday I want and of a shot which, allowed me to sleep, but still had the pain when I woke up. Finally, after fighting it and just breaking down. I went to the ER. I got to the ER at 12:15 pm, and didn?t get back to a room until 3:45 pm. The waiting room was full of people talking, and TV in the waiting room was on and seemed so loud. I finally got called back to the room, and as the nurse came in to to get what meds I was on and so on the doctor walked in, before he even knew what was going on. So he sat down and listens to me. I begin to talk about how I had this headache for the last 6 months. I told him that I came the the ER a few months ago and they said it was due to the procrit, and gave me IV fluids and IV pain meds and sent me on my way, I told him, yeah it works for 24 hours or so, and then I am back to feeling bad again. I said I am not trying to sound dumb, but I would like to see if we can find what?s causing them, and treat that. I told him I am tried of taking pain pills and getting pain shots and that I would rather find out what?s causing the pain. He seemed put out. He seemed upset; I didn?t want an IV, and IV pain meds, right there. He said he would get me medical information, and come back.

So he comes back a little bit latter, and says well you?re really young to have so many problems. I didn?t say anything. Then he says well, you are going to be a hard case, I guess lets get a CT of you head. I was like OK. So I had to wait another hour for the CT scan. I was pretty sure it showed somthing as before we started the women said it going to be three time in and out, and then down. I was like ok, but it when though the three times, and nothing for a while, and then started again. Finally it stopped but just left me on the table and I could see 4 or 5 people pointing at a computer and talking. Then I was back to the room. A little but later the doctor walked and said we didn?t find anything on the CT to be causing the headaches, but it did show a small mass, or object. You need to have an out paintent MRI done one day next week. I tried to ask more about what it showed, he just said my doctor will have the reports Monday, and I could follow up with him.

Then get this one, after all this he goes what would you like for the pain? I finally gave in and said can I get a shot, but I don?t want very much as I don?t want to feel out of it. I hate that feeling. (I been clean for over three years and I don?t want to feel high, I can?t stand it!) So here I am still am in pain, and now have to wait till Monday to find anything out about thw CT report, and finding out when I need to go for the MRI. Hopefully it will be nothing, but it does get you thinking. ( Plus I am not sure if I can have a MRI with my pacemaker?, I guess I will find out)

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Oh my goodness, what a night you have had. I hope it is nothing as well. I hate the waiting game, but it seems to be all I have been doing lately.

Can't have an MRI with pacemaker. I have read and BEEN TOLD that by every person I know that has one.

You think the ER doc would've known this. Hope you get some answers soon...maybe they will take a CT to view just the area in question?

A few sites online about someday MRI and pacers may be compatible.

http://www.hmiworld.org/hmi/issues/May_Jun...und_titans.html

I have NEVER heard a person with a pacer bring up they would risk MRI or be allowed to...but who knows what your local docs think but standard procedures still say NO to MRI and pacers.

Sophia,

That's what I thought. My id band even says pacemaker no MRI. I asked the ER doctor, and he said it should not be a problem. I really think he just wanted me out of there. I wouldn't even take the time to tell up want the small mass or object could be, just follow up with your doctor. Who knows??? I will talk to my family doctor on monday. Hopfully the CT report shows more then they said, and that will be enough for my doctor to read. Let's hope!!!

Thanks for your input! :)

AJVDK,

I wish you the strength you need to make it to next week. And healing thoughts your way.

About the ER experience, I wonder if the doctors are just "in training" and do not really know enough about everything they encounter?? If that is the case, I wonder why "consults" aren't done right there with someone who DOES know...for example, a consult with a neurologist on call. I suspect it is a money issue or a time issue. Maybe if a doctor on staff at the hospital called ahead before you got there, they would pay more attention to your case?

Maybe all of us should ask our "primary" POTS doc ahead of time HOW to have a productive experience at the ER.

For example, one time I called my gastroenterologist because I was having a pain in my abdomen. HE told me to go the the ER and it turned out, that when HE was there (later on), he examined me. His office happens to be adjacent to the hospital where he works so it was relatively easy for him to make a stop in the ER. I think if your physician gives them the heads up, HE can tell them what tests he wants done or what he wants to do.

Just an idea. I don't have any ideas about what to do if your physician does NOT suggest going to the ER.

I was thinking that maybe a call into the physician FIRST would get them to take you more seriously once at the ER. When talking to the doctor you could say, "Should I go to the ER?"

I do not know your particular circumstance, and I only want the best for you and to be relieved of your pain ASAP. Healing thoughts your way. (It sure sounds like the Procrit was the beginning of this saga for you.)

Hi There-

Try not to worry to much- easier said than done. I'm pretty sure you can't have an MRI. Many of us here have small masses in our brains that are harmless, pineal cysts. I would get to a neurologist- pronto. I pray your mass is nothing serious and NOT the cause of your chronic headaches. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Julie

AJVDK,

I wish you the strength you need to make it to next week. And healing thoughts your way.

About the ER experience, I wonder if the doctors are just "in training" and do not really know enough about everything they encounter?? If that is the case, I wonder why "consults" aren't done right there with someone who DOES know...for example, a consult with a neurologist on call. I suspect it is a money issue or a time issue. Maybe if a doctor on staff at the hospital called ahead before you got there, they would pay more attention to your case?

Maybe all of us should ask our "primary" POTS doc ahead of time HOW to have a productive experience at the ER.

For example, one time I called my gastroenterologist because I was having a pain in my abdomen. HE told me to go the the ER and it turned out, that when HE was there (later on), he examined me. His office happens to be adjacent to the hospital where he works so it was relatively easy for him to make a stop in the ER. I think if your physician gives them the heads up, HE can tell them what tests he wants done or what he wants to do.

Just an idea. I don't have any ideas about what to do if your physician does NOT suggest going to the ER.

I was thinking that maybe a call into the physician FIRST would get them to take you more seriously once at the ER. When talking to the doctor you could say, "Should I go to the ER?"

I do not know your particular circumstance, and I only want the best for you and to be relieved of your pain ASAP. Healing thoughts your way. (It sure sounds like the Procrit was the beginning of this saga for you.)

I hope everything turns out well for you--------I'll be thinking of you...and sending you my prayers.

I'm surprised that Doc didn't realize you can't have an MRI with a pace maker----pretty scary, as I think even we know better then that.

Yes, I heard that too------pineal cysts in some of us. I don't think I have anything like that---it's never been spotted, but some white lesions have been spotted---might be something to do with POTS also, but I'll have this looked into by a neurologist--just in case.

I'm glad you will be seeing another Doc to find out what it is. i'm sorry your haivng such painful headaches---that's the PITS-----can't do much of anything when you feel like that....

Hang in there,

Maxine

Guest sonotech

Well, you are stronger than ME!!!! If I would have been dealing with those headaches for that long, I surely would have had the "dope me up" so I could get relief. I know you don't want to feel out of it and I know that your past experiences have made you leary of meds, but you DO deserve some relief.

I hope that they are able to find out the cause of your pain!! It is always frustrating having to deal with the ER because it seems like they either don't believe you, or suspect you have done this to yourself! They ALWAYS want to get us out of there ASAP and THAT is where the medical system fails....they overlook things.

I will keep you in my prayers, and keep us informed as to how you are doing and what they find out!

I hope you feel better! I'll send good thoughts in your direction.

I know that Hopkins will sometimes do an MRI on someone that has a pacemaker, but it's a big ordeal. Just make sure everyone knows. Don't hesitate to keep repeating that you're concerned about it. At the very least, they should have extra doctors on hand.

Amy,

So sorry you are having to deal with the horrible unknowns and waiting game...

Also, it's always so scary when the docs don't catch things like no MRI with a pacer...Especially when you spefically asked that question. It's hard to challenge them, and you feel like you can only challenge a doc so much, but geez, he was way off! It scares me to think of being in our local hospital unable to advocate for myself! That's like my worst nightmare!

Hang in there as best you can through the weekend, and let us know what you find out...

Emily

I wanted to thankyou all for you posts, it nice to all know you care so much. Today is going so slow!!! I just want it to be monday, and be able to find out more, and find out what's next!

Again Thank you for all the support! :)

Lori-

I have been on the doxy now for almost 3 months. The headaches started about 6 months ago, so I don't think it is it. Plus I gone off the doxy for a week before and still had the headaches. ( It would be nice though if it was the casue, as ot would be easier the the other things)