Feel like a Robot

Ling

Dear All

Could you tell me if you have ever felt trapped in your body? That every movement feels like you are a robot and hurts. I can’t do any form of exercise anymore and am trying to do yoga again. I can't lift my arms or legs as far as use to. Its like they are restricted. That stupid heart doctor of last year warned me against letting my body degenerate. Is this what he is talking about. But how do they expect us to do exercises with all the problems we have. Washing my dogs is an exhausting achievement for me in my life. I climbed stairs today and nearly died, just smile to the passes by but boy did I feel 80 +.

Please tell me one of you have also got this problem? :)

Ling, if I could only take movies of how I feel in the morning. Even my feet hurt when they touch the floor. I suppose, for me, that it is the "fibromyalgia" symptoms I'm feeling--and as I age, it gets harder.

I wish I could take an NSAID, but it rips my guts up. The only thing that seems to help is to get enough sleep and to bathe in the morning. The shower or bath seems to loosen me up a little.

I hope that you find some relief.

Nina

I am so glad to hear you have the same problem as me Mighty Mouse. I go for injections when the "fibromyalgia" gets to bad. I can't put into words how painful they are but it works for a while. My feet also are very painful, but my body likes makes turns for different parts to hurt. My hips also hurt most of the time but at the moment it is my back and arms giving me grief. Why do we have so many symptoms? You sound like me I have 5 in total now and hope they stop. But the more I learn and read up about Pots the more I realise that they are all linked. :rolleyes:

Ling, sorry you are having such difficulty. I have had a very hard time with exercise too and finally decided to try easy yoga. I can tell that 3 months later I am able to move better and am not quite as stiff although I get really sore for 2 days after yoga. I use Arnica oil, recommeded by a massage therapist, to help ease to stiffness and it helps some. I also use lots of moist heat.

Hope you start feeling better and don't be too hard on yourself. Of course the dr. tells us to exercise but for some that is just not a reality. If you can do some yoga to begin with, maybe you will be able in the future to do other exercises. That's my plan anyway but don't know that exercise and I will ever work!

i try tai chi for beginners. it hurts my hips, but i keep hoping at some point it will help loosen them. my shoulders are so bad now i have to sleep on my back and i hate sleeping on my back! :angry: i have had surgery on the right one and now the left one is acting up too. darn it, i wish they would come up with something. i need a shot in my rt shoulder, but always put those off as long as possible. they only help for a little while and once in a while i have a little reaction to the steroid. gross. i think every trigger point is positive right now, because it has rained and been damp and cold here every day for the last month. so i'm with ya. i feel like the tin man in oz. morgan :ph34r:

Yoga helped me tremendously to get function back and relieve stiffness. Also, I have read that walking helps regulate the autonomic nervous system. This is hard to impossible for many of us, but I keep reading and hearing that exercise is so important for POTS patients. Even though it is exhausting, good for you Ling for trying and pushing yourself, it may not seem like it is helping immediately, but perhaps you will find slow improvement over time from certain exercises.

Anybody see a physical therapist with knowledge of AD/POTS who recommended particular approaches to exercise? Basically, I told my cardiologist that walking up stairs felt awful and was exhausting, and he said, go on and keep doing it b/c your heart is fine. So, I did, and now, MONTHS later, it is getting a lot easier to go up the 3 flights of stairs to my office. But it HAS taken time and there were set backs.

My sister is almost done with her physical therapy degree and she has POTS, so maybe she'll find a way to specialize in that!

Hi Ling, I get the stiffness too. I always have to start my day with a hot shower (yes not the best for pots, huh?) but without it my body just doesn't want to move. The other thing I've found that helps me is taking MSM. When taking it I seem to have less aches and pains. I thought it was my imagination and I tried going off it for a few months. I started getting a lot of aching in my knees, hands and feet, so I'm back on it now.

I agree on exercise being important. However somedays I feel like I get exercise just doing everyday tasks :ph34r: Now that it's warm I'll hopefully be swimming and walking more.

Hope you find something that helps you.

Pam