Horrific Drug Sensitivity

JoeJack101

I think I have POTS, and I know I have Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome and I know I have dysautonomia. I have a HORRIBLE drug sensitivity that is beyond words... What would you do if it was literally killing you are ruining your life? I HAVE to get rid of this horrible drug (& herb) sensitivity, so please help me find a way. By the way, this sensitivity is NOT allergic, the effect of the drug/herb is just exaggerated 1000x's or so.

It sounds like you've had a reaction to more than one drug. Which one specifically is giving you a problem? I know many with dysautonomia have to start with micro-doses and wait a week or so before upping the dose to a more therapeutic level. for instance when my son started florinef, he started with 1/4 of a .1 tablet. Ten days later, he moved up to 1/2 of a .1 tablet. He eventually worked his way up to .2mg or 2 full tablets a day. Going slowly gave his body a chance to adjust and respond to the medication.

All my best-

Julie

I think I have POTS, and I know I have Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome and I know I have dysautonomia. I have a HORRIBLE drug sensitivity that is beyond words... What would you do if it was literally killing you are ruining your life? I HAVE to get rid of this horrible drug (& herb) sensitivity, so please help me find a way. By the way, this sensitivity is NOT allergic, the effect of the drug/herb is just exaggerated 1000x's or so.

Dear JoeJack,

I am so sorry about your terrible difficulty. It may well be that you do not detoxify drugs properly in your liver. This can be tested by a comprehensive detox profile (a blood/urine test) available through your doctor from several laboratories.

Most drugs are detoxified in 2 stages. Think of stage 1 as a preparatory stage and stage 2 as sort of a coin-sorter where different types of drugs are sent down different chemical pathways. Actually, there are thousands of different enzymes, but they fall into these general categories.

Some people have a problem (genetic or acquired) in one or more pathways. Occasionally stage 1 works too hard or not hard enough. Often stage 2 pathways are sluggish and a drug might become diverted to a different pathway.

If a drug (or any other chemical our bodies take in or produce) is stuck between stage 1 and 2 (too much stage 1 and/or not enough 2), the in-between metabolites can be much, much more toxic than the drug itself. Or if stage 1 isn't working well, the drug stays in your system much longer than in other people and you need less or a reduced frequency of dosing.

The good news is that many problems are treatable with taking in more nutrients needed by the pathways which are sluggish.

I hope this isn't too confusing. PM me for a link to the kind of doctor who can do this test if yours can't or won't. I don't think it is that expensive.

OLL