Gave Up, Quit My Job

Brwneyedchica

So I've been working at a large hospital for 3 and a half years and the last year and a half or so i've been ill off and on....but mostly on. I cut my hours down to part-time and was doing fine until a new administrator came along and made me work full-time hours again. Basically I've been able to work anywhere between 1-3 weeks at a time without missing but then i'll get really sick. Nauseated around the clock, vomiting, having weird irritable bowel type symptoms ect. Just not able to function at all, this last time I lost 7 lbs off my 5'3" 102 lb frame. The past several months the administrator has been threatening me about firing me and threatening me and I know if I would have stayed there it would have come. I decided to quit on my own terms. Tomorrow is my last day. I am 23 years old and I quit a very well paying job due to POTS. I sold my house, gave my dog to my boyfriends parents and moved into my mom's basement. My boyfriend is taking my car for awhile and will pay the payment for me as well as my other bills. I'm feeling very very sad right about now, but I know this is the best thing for me. Work has become very very stressful and alot of the staff have become very resentful of my being ill and leaving them to fend for themselves. I can't help but think that such a stressful work environment is contributing to my illness. I've been working on a medical transcription class slooowly for about a year now but could never really do that and work. When I worked that was my life, I didn't go out with friends or shop or anything I just worked. And now I can finish my class and get a job working from home. I thought I would be so happy and maybe I will be eventually. It's just really hard to move on and to kinda admit defeat. You can only fight your body and make it do what you want it to for so long.

Sorry to hear that you had to give up your job. Very nasty of that administrator to put it into terms like that though. He/she could have been a bit more compassionate when telling you your job is in jeopardy since you have been ill so often.

I know it seems like you give more and more of your life up to just get by every day but keep the faith that things will turnaround. Hopefully you will be able to get unemployment due to the nature of you ultimately being forced to leave.

Hope you feel better soon.

I'm so sorry your illness has reached the point where you had to leave your job. I made the same decision several years ago after briefly attempting to work. I know how disheartening it is to be young and have to totally revamp your life. However, in time I trust things will work out- maybe not the way you originally planned- but still for the better. So, hang in there. I know it is hard but it sounds like you have a supportive family and boyfriend. Take care of yourself right now. Good luck!

Carmen

Just wanted to say sorry that you had to give up so much. I think many can relate to losses here. I had to leave a job i have loved for over 20+ years. I miss it so much, but I need to get well. I want to just be well again- to have my place as a functioning individual, wife, mom. Then work.

It sounds like you have a plan to give you support and a focus on a possible new job path. Good luck to you, take care

Hang in there----

I'm so sorry. I finally dropped out of grad school a year ago, and as much as I miss physics (and financial independence), it was definitely the right decision. Looking back, I can't quite believe I stuck it out as long as I did. I'm sorry you had to give up one dream, and I hope you find another one to follow.

You can only fight your body and make it do what you want it to for so long.

You can say that again!

Spike

i'm sorry that you had to leave your job b/c of pots.. that really stinks....and im sorry that you had to deal with such a mean admin. and that co-workers lost there sensitivity...

I hope that you are able to complete your schooling... working from home might turn out to be the best thing for you right now..

take care dear

hugsdizz

I'm so sorry you have had to give up your job , I know exactly how you feel , its a horrible thing to have to admit defeat ,not because your job is to hard for you to do mentally , but because your body just cant cope with the everyday things your job entails, I felt like I'd let myself down ................which is crazy ! !

I used to run my own companys , on the road 8 hours a day, entertaining the client's, functions for the company 5 times a week , juggling the staff, sorting accounts ............you name it I did it .

It came as rather a hard blow to me when I had to stop and sell up lock , stock and barrel. :(

But now I am at home all day and do a bit of writing when I can on good days, so far done 180,000 words over 1 - 1/2 books ..............which to me says far more than all the companys I could have run.

Its the brain you see , still working very normal ( however crazy ) the body may be waving everyone ' Far well, so long , auf wiedersenhen , goodbye ' but as long as my brain keeps chugging away turning out books that make the public roll around with laughter then ...............I'm here..............I'm sane................... and I'm quite capable :P

Willows. singing songs from the 'sound of music'

Sorry to hear that you had to give up your job. Working or not working is such a personal decision, but my experience is like yours, working means giving up other things like much of a social life. I admire all of you who are on your feet but continue to work. I have been able to work b/c I have a behind the computer type job.

Have you seen a gastrointerologist for all your "IBS" type symptoms. I ask b/c your symptoms and weight loss remind me of my POTS onset and for me it was determined to be gluten intolerance. Gluten intolerance is more common than perviously believed and because it's an autoimmune disorder of the gut there is a corrolation to POTS, according to what Dr. Grubb told me.

Sounds like you need a lawyer, O Brown-Eyed One. Someone familiar with the Americans With Disabilities Act. Having you work part-time sounds like a reasonable accommodation to me. Refusing to allow you to work part-time--and forcing you to work full-time until you dropped--might be more than unconscionable. It might be illegal. That administrator should be fired--in the interests of public health. Did you lose your health insurance when you left?

Why am I not surprised to hear of such behavior on the part of the administrator of a health-care facility? Because it's endemic in such settings: http://www.bullybusters.org/press/nw042604.html

Chica..I sold my house about a year and a half a go..lost a full custody battle(now have son only half the time I used to have my youngest full-time,moved into my parents,lost my job(quit)..So I just want you to know that I KNOW how your feeling. It is pretty cruddy..just trying to keep the sanity. I am a bit older 29 and I know it must be rough at a young age to see all these things happen especially when it is really out fo your control.

Hang in there girl..Bee

I wanted to let you know I been where you are. I quit working about 10 months ago. Its was the hardest thing I have ever done. I can say little by little I am getting better. I do have set backs, but mostly due to me trying to push myself so much to get my old life back, when if I just focused on my nem life it would be much better. I am slowing learning to cope, and am slowing getting better. I am hoping to one day be able to go back to work fulltime. I am 27, I was lucky as my husband has really step up and taken over things. He runs his own bussiness plus, works fulltime, to make up for when I worked. I also now get to stay home with my son, I love this as we have really gotten to bold with each other.

I hope, and wish you the best. I hope by you slowing down you will be able to have the POTS get better, and have a better quailty of life! :)

Guest dionna

i was forced out of my dream job too. i know that it is hard and i am sorry that it had to happen to you too. everything will work itself out. i can't believe they were not more understanding than that! i would be outraged! i hope you do well with the medical transcription. that is what my older brother does. but he works all the time. i wish you the best. you sound like me with the weight loss. we are probably about the same size pound for inches in height because of the being sick. i know how you feel on that one too. hugs to you.

dionna :)

That is so horrible that you were forced to work full time again. Maybe it's good that you aren't with that company any more because you never know if you could count on them if things got really bad. I would try and find a part-time job that was just a day or two a week. I think you can pull it off. Try to go for something low-stress and simple. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Also, you are not defeated. These moves are temporary, and you have to understand that so, too, are your emotions and state of mind. I think in time you will realize it's not a case of win or lose but just what you need for now.

Good luck,

Amy