Hard To Explain, But Lower Esophgus Issues

jkapache

Ok, so after my uper endoscopy I was suppose to have another test where they put the tubes up your nose and check your swallowing and eshogus reflex- or something?? Well dr decided not to do it thinks it just that my esopugus is swollen ect. He gave me nextium for 1 month to see if it gets better- if not will have to do the above test- maybe the 'flap' that keeps the food down isnt weak and not working properly- then we would have to talk about surgery ect. That word freaks me out- I hate the thought! But what 'disease/illness' could be wrong with my eshogus then? I was just waking up from the sedation... so I couldnt focus enought to really ask- and he didnt go into much detail. But does Nextium help with regerjatation too? That is sort of my main problem- the heart burn isnt THAT bad.... uhh- maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut about these problems- and went on with life!! Sorry for the ODD question!!

Jess,

I agree with Spike! How annoying that the doc was talking to you when you were so out of it still!

I am having GI stuff that we can't figure out yet either. Started after my GB surgery. But don't think it is sphincter of odi. I don't have regurgitation, but have pain and the upper GI area. This results in a very upset stomach and painful bowel movement soon after my first meal of the day several times a week.

I decided to try and 'empirical trial' of Pepcid and it is working. I have no idea why! But it is!

Sometimes I've had more success ruling things in or out with an empirical trial of a med rather than going through a lot of grueling testing. Ya know? It can help rule things in or out, etc.

Hope it helps and narrows down what might really be going on!

Emily

Hi Jess,

I agree with the others...talk to your doctor and get a better explanation. The additional test you're describing sounds like a FEES study...flexible endoscopy...it's often used to check peoples vocal cords but CAN be used to look at swallowing function. IF this is the test the doctor wants to do and IF it's simply to check your swallowing function (which includes the head of the esophagus) then you might want to ask for a Modified Barium Swallow Study instead. I say this b/c the swallow study is considered the "gold standard" for examining swallowing function. It is a non-invasive test typically done by a radiologist and a Speech Pathologist.

If it comes to that and you want more info. just PM or e-mail me. In the mean time I hope the Nexium helps and you won't need anymore tests done! :)

A weakend LES could be what he means. Lower esophageal sphincter. It is a muscle also and if it weakens, which some foods can etc, it allows the acid to come back up into the esophagus. PPI meds can help like nexium, prilosec, prevacid etc. Also change of diet or staying away from things that seem to aggravate it.

Hopefully the nexium will help and you can spared any more tests. :)

An endoscope should be able to tell if your lower esophageal sphincter is working. Nextium and the other acid blockers stop the production of stomach acid, they don't stop acid and food in the stomach from coming back into the espohogus. It should stop the burning when the food does come back up.

The test you describe sounds like an espophageal manometry.

If food sticking in your espohophagus or you are throwing it back up try a google search for achalasia. If that is what they are testing for, it is good to get an early diagnosis.

I took this from http://www.medicinenet.com/achalasia/page4.htm#toch

Esophageal manometry, can demonstrate specifically the abnormalities of muscle function that are characteristic of achalasia, that is, the failure of the muscle of the esophageal body to contract with swallowing and the failure of the lower esophageal sphincter to relax. For manometry, a thin tube that measures the pressure generated by the contracting esophageal muscle is passed through the nose, down the back of the throat and into the esophagus. In a patient with achalasia, no peristaltic waves are seen in the lower half of the esophagus after swallows, and the pressure within the contracted lower esophageal sphincter does not fall with the swallow. An advantage of manometry is that it can diagnose achalasia early in its course at a time at which the video-esophagram may be normal.

Wareagle...

If you are checking this post, I just had to say...see how much you know from your Speech Pathology training???? :) When you think there is nothing more to you than illness, please remember how much more there is to you and how many things you enjoy, are passionate about and knowledgable about. Okay, off of my soap box, but I think you're super cool and sometimes it's hard to remember that when you are confronted with 'healthy friends'....:)

I love it when you chime in with tips that you have learned through being a speech pathologist. One of my best friends from college is also a Speech Pathologist.

Okay, so I got off topic here, but I did post about the topic earlier! Does that count????

Goodnight!!!

Em