Please Describe Your Dizziness

dizzydaze

Hi

My Neuro diagnosed POTS but the tilt table test said I dont. I feel I have all the symptoms, but I am in no-mans land now. My main symptom is the dizziness. I want to know how it compares with your dizziness.

Please tell me:

When do you get it - ie only when you stand up or stand up for too long?

How long does it last for - ie only while you stand or only for a few seconds, then your body rights itself?

How does it feel - ie does the room spin or is it a fuzziness inside your head?

Do you get worse when in a busy environment - ie a shopping mall

When DONT you get it - ie when sitting, or riding in the car, or lying down?

Does stress or tiredness or certain foods make it worse?

Being on the computer make it worse?

When you move around - ie bend over, turn your head?

Describe in as much detail as you can.

Thanks

Hi Dizzydaze and welcome!

Hmm?? I'm going to try to do my best to answer your questions regarding the "dizziness" associated with MY pots. The symptoms can vary from person to person, so you might get a wide variety of responses from others.

Let's see.......for me, my dizziness can come about when I stand, however, it has also come out of no where when I'm sitting and or laying down. There are episodes (when the dizziness is a primary symptom) when I don't get dizzy when I stand, but after standing maybe 5 minutes, it comes on really bad. For me, the dizziness is hard to describe. It's not necessarily where the room is spinning, but more of my head spins (inside) and then I get a rush of other symptoms (syncope = fainting).

For me, I find that the stress/noise/extra stimulus from being at the mall, grocery store or simply out in public can make my symptoms worse. There really aren't any positions that I'm free from the symptoms.

I hope that this helps you in your getting answers, and it will be interesting to see how others respond.

Good luck to you and please feel free to ask as many questions as you want...........we are all here for each other!

Hugs,

Babs

When do you get it - anytime within the day.... everytime i stand, while and after eating, with movements, excercising, taking a shower or bath, getting dressed, bending over, lifting things, changing temperatures like going out side and coming back in to a different temp or just bieng in the heat, pretty much anything can trigger a dizzy spell

How long does it last for - when i stand up- a few seconds to a minute, i always say i just have to adjust m body to standing up again, exercising it lasts the entire time and a little bit after i am finished, when i am eating the entire time i am eating and a little after. so i guess seconds, minutes, maybe an hour or so.

How does it feel - the room spins, fuzziness inside my head i guess would be a description, i can't walk straight, things just don't focus at all.

Do you get worse when in a busy environment - yes!

When DONT you get it - i don't think i get it when i am sleeping <_< that would be the only time.

Does stress or tiredness or certain foods make it worse? yes, yes, and hmmm definately yes.

Being on the computer make it worse? hmmm, if i have a migraine or the crazy things going on with me.

When you move around - yeap just about everytime. certainly everytime i stand up (100% of the time) i feel dizzy, and sometimes even when i sit up, (i would say 75% of the time)

i usually feel like i am drunk or that i am about to pass out. sometimes it just really funny feeling but that is the only way that i know how to describe it as--- funny. it is so hard to define what dizz y feels like but i hope that i have helped you out atleast a little bit.

dionna :ph34r:

Wow Dionna, that is a really tough case of dizziness. It must be terrible.

My dizziness comes when I lie down and then stand up. It usually last for 30 seconds or so.

I also get it when I stand for longer than 5 minutes. If I am moving it is not as bad. Sitting for an hour or so gets it going. Noise, neon lights, shopping centres, hot rooms etc all make it worse. Florinef has helped with it. I will get it at the computer if I sit here for 30 minutes, which is pretty good I think. Generally, I find that dizziness will come on most of the time, but if I lie down and rest for 10 minutes, it settles down.

I hate it, especially when I am about to drive. It makes me panicky that i will pass out, but I actually don't much anymore as I know the warning signals and try to avoid the triggers.

Hope this helps.

I get dizzy when I stand up, and it usually lasts less than a minute. It's not a spinning sensation for me, it's more like a wave of unsteadiness washing through my head. I also get it when I get to the top of a flight of stairs, but for some reason not on the way up.

The worst time for me is when I stand up after bending over. I get the same unsteadiness, but also headache and nausea that last for several minutes. Sometimes just tipping my head forward and back is enough to trigger it.

Stress, fatigue, heat, and a busy environment all make it worse.

I very seldom have it when I'm sitting or lying down. Only when I'm really worn out. Or when I sit up after bending over.

Different doctors sometimes read the same tilt test results in different ways. My sister is in the same situation -- she seems to have a lot of POTS symptoms, but the doc who did her test said it was negative. I hope you get some more information soon.

Spike

When do you get it - ie only when you stand up or stand up for too long?

When my pulse is up I will have dizziness regardless, but it's worse when I stand up.

How long does it last for - ie only while you stand or only for a few seconds, then your body rights itself?

I'm dizzy all the time, but being on Toprol has helped and it has improved.

It can be both for me. But mostly fuzziness, with blured vision.

Do you get worse when in a busy environment - ie a shopping mall

If I'm feeling overwhelmed by it yes.

It's really unpredictable for me.

Yes, stress and tiredness will play a major factor in how I feel. Foods may have an affect too.

I don't think so no.

YES! It's very frustrating.

Hope I was of some help. :unsure:

Amber

Hi- My symptoms are very unpredictable, although I experience many, the dizziness, nausea and vomiting are by far my worst. Dizziness is such an awful thing to experience- sometimes I'm extremely lightheaded, other times the world is spinning on me. At times movement brings these on, but I also very often get sudden waves of dizziness or the spinning or rocking sensation starts when I do not move or do anything to provoke it. (I also feel like I am drunk most of the time and haven't drank in what seems like the longest time)

When do you get it - ie only when you stand up or stand up for too long? Sometimes I experience no symptoms with standing when other times I feel like I may faint or become dizzy or nauseaus. I've had many tilt tables- the most recent this past week and they say I definately have POTS- but I often cannot even feel the huge increase in my heart rate. (Some days my bp stays steady when other times on my bad days it drops)

How long does it last for - ie only while you stand or only for a few seconds, then your body rights itself? Some form of dizziness is for the most part always present.

I get spinning sensation, occassionally rocking sensation or just a moving sensation and also often lightheaded.

Do you get worse when in a busy environment - ie a shopping mall.

Yes, load noise and busy and bright environments are awful.

never

not really sure.

yes, well usually- since I started this response, I'm experiencing an intense moving sensation and am also extremely lightheaded. I've also had a few of those sudden waves of dizziness.

sometimes.