Very Sad... My Kitty :(

MightyMouse

I feel so bad having to make such a terrible decision, but I think it would be cruel to wait longer. Jeri was restless all night, pacing, and crying. :)

and sadly, we've requested our vet to come to the house this afternoon--my only happiness in all this is that Jeri will be home with me and not freaked out at the vet's office when it's her time to go. I'm trying really hard to focus on how long I've had purrs and chirps and lots of love from her, for more than half of my life. I'm so very sad.

Nina

i am so very sorry nina.

i am going through a similar thing right now with my dog. she is full of cancer and i will have to put her to sleep here within the next week or so.........she is having a hard time eating, walking, etc..........

it is a hard thing to have to do, but i think it is better in the long run for them if they can just avoid having to suffer or feel pains..........i'm sure your kitty knows how much you love her.....be with her as much as you can through this hard time. she needs your love to help her step from this life to the next. i hope you can draw some comfort from friends and family in the days ahead. it is so very hard to lose a pet. they are constant friends, faithful and loving. i'm sure your kitty has been blessed in her life having you for her mommy. she appreciates you as much as you have and do appreciate her.

sending a hug your way.

Thank you everyone--

our vet just left a little while ago. We all cried together for a bit beforehand, but Jeri's passing was more peaceful then I anticipated. She's finally resting and I miss her so very much, but I told her it was okay to go and I will see her again some day. In the mean time, I've asked family and friends who have passed on to make sure she's happy and well loved on the other side.

All this emotion leaves me feeling completely drained and weak. I think it will take me a while to get past this, but after more than 20 years with my sweat pea of a kitty, it's already strange not to see her at my side. Giant sigh...

I appreciate the calming words. I'm on my way to lie down -- I've gotten next to no sleep for the past two days. Nina

So sorry about your loss of such a loving companion. We have also made this difficult decision on more than one occasion and it is something you never forget, but it was comforting to know how peaceful and loving it was for our beloved pets to pass on to what I consider the other side. I do believe your kitty is in a peaceful, loving place.

Thinking of you -----

Nina - I am so sorry about the passing of your special kitty kat Jeri - I have 2 cats myself and 1 dog - My oldest cat Shtinky is 12 years old, Whiskers is 9 and my dachshund Otto is 2 years old. Since my husband and I do not have children, these are our babies and I can only imagine the sadness you are feeling today, even though Jeri is out of pain now and is at the Rainbow Bridge. There is a great website , www.petloss.com that has a candlelight ceremony for the departed animals every Monday night and it helps you deal with your grief at such a tender time. I too lost my dachshund that I grew up with and it took me many years to be able to smile instead of cry when I look at pictures of him and think of him. Hugs going your way and Otto, my dog is on my lap now and sending a stinky kiss your way through the computer to make you feel a little better. Love,Beth

Hi Nina,

I'm so very sorry to hear about your kitty. My family and I have been there quite a few times before and it's always heart wrenching. Have you ever heard of the Rainbow Bridge? If you have not, I suggest looking it up on the internet...it's a great poem for pet lovers to have after losing their best friend.

(((HUGS))))

~Gwen

nina, i'm so so sorry. no better words to offer but you're definitely in my thoughts & prayers. our animal buddies are definitely precious.

~melissa

Nina,

What a beautiful picture to always have.

It is wonderful that your vet could come to your house. What a blessing.

I am so sorry that you had to put your kitty down and she is no longer with you. Her memory will always be a blessing! I know you will smile every time you think of her and her antics over the last 20 years.

I have put two dogs down so far in my life. And I absolutely feel your pain. I still have pictures of Winnie (you may remember knowing me already when we had to put her down) around the house, I still talk about her all the time, and we laugh and smile about how she did things (and how very different Asher is!). I still ache for her. I am saying this just b/c I understand how much we love our pets.

I, too, found the experience of putting Winnie to sleep sooo incredibly peaceful. It was in fact, beautiful. That is so weird. But, in some ways it is a blessing that they don't have to suffer longer and how absolutely peacefully they pass. I stayed with her at the vets office for a very long time, and they let me do that and just hold her and had her on a purple blanket all comfy. (Oh no, I'm crying now thinkng about this!).

The same thing also happened with us in terms of having to make a quick decision. She literally went for a 45 minute walk the day she died. She was that perky. But, then, she lashed out and the agression could not be settled down (we think she either had dementia or a tumor) and I could not get a leash on her even to get to the vet. We called and they took us in on an emergency basis. I had put it off as long as possible and then the moment was there, no choice, it just ahd to be done ASAP, so like with you, there wasn't a lot of time to question.

She loved to go to the vet, so she pranced in there like it was just a fun place ot go. That made me feel terrible, but when she lashed out at the vet and all we knew she had to go. I was there with the woman who bred her (she took me there and stayed with me! and creid a lot too!), the vet tech who was close to winnie, and our wonderful vet. We all cried a lot!

Oh how we love our animals. I am so sorry for your loss. I have found what helps me the most is crying about her and also talkng a lot about her and keeping her memory alive. I hope this will bring you peace. I know your Jeri is safe and at peace. But, I know it doesn't make you miss her one bit less! :unsure:

Hugs to you my dear,

Emily

So sorry you had to say goodbye to such a special friend. Hang in there and remember the good memories to get you through this sad time.

Amber

i know how much my kitty cat means to me and how much he helps me out with my condition--- and i just got him a few months ago--- so i know it is hard for you to see her go. pets can definately be just like family members. i am sorry for your loss. i will be thinking of you and praying for you and your kitty.

dionna

What a beautiful picture.

Jeri looks like the cat I grew up with, especially with the slightly crooked patch on her nose. Misty was my first friend, although we had some conflicts when I got big enough that we couldn't both sit on my Mom's lap at the same time. She's been gone for long enough that the hurt has faded, and I just remember the happiness.

(but I'm feeling teary, anyway.)

Spike

Nina

Hadn't checked this board in a few days. I am SO SORRY to hear of your loss. Seeiing your picture with your baby made me cry....I am such a major cat mom..they ARE OUR CHILDREN. But 20 years...wow, that cat had some good genes!!

Glad the vet could come to the house to make things easier.

Purrs and hugs to you from another cat mom and her kids.

:P

nina, i am so sorry for your loss! please know you are wish strength, comfor and peace in your time of sorrow. i hope you are cheered by all your many warm memories of jeri. they are our family.

please know you are in my thoughts.

peace, lulu

(school is leaving little time for being active here, sorry i'm late in posting)