Husband Going Into Hospital Next Week.

willows

willows,

just checking on how you're doing! hope nobody is without food!

thank you so much for the invitation!!!! my husband and i are planning to go to england next year as we haven't been visiting my dad (who lives near the beautiful cornish west coast) since a few years now (we meet eachother twice a year when he comes to the netherlands!). all my family (hubby the boys and i) LOVE england. the beautiful landscapes and the famous traditions. when we arrive in cornwall we always feel home.

we just have to wait and see if i can make it, because our last vacation was very hard on me. if i can make it, i would be very honoured to meet and have your cream tea!!!

corina :P

You're coming to England? Hey, you'll have to meet me too up in OXford!!! :(

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corina if you do come and cant make it to Plymouth I'll come down to Cornwall and take you and hubby out for a cream tea and thats a promise. :D

And that goes to anyone who is coming to the UK and coming down to the Devon & Cornwall areas .

What I think is the best and most beautiful parts of the UK for its scenery, beaches and crazy people .... mentioning no name now please :lol:

Things are not good here guys.

Mark my hubby ( as I will call him now) is not well at all , his right ankle has been giving him so much pain he's very pale and quiet with it.

The nurse came today and took of the dressing to check the wound wasn't infected ( it wasn't) but oh my g**....................his ankle/foot looked like a piece of cut pork a butcher had rolled for roasting. :(

His ankle bone was non-existent and the colours from his toes to almost his knee ; red, blue, black, purple, green , yellow and pink.

I dont think in all my years of nursing I've ever seen anything so painful looking in my life , the surgeon's stitch work left a lot to be desired he's never pass a sewing class exam ! :rolleyes:

So Marks over done it again, been doing 2 -3 little walks a day , but this went from 2-3 to 5-6 , will he ever learn? probably not. To old, to stubborn and to much a 'man' .

Mike, poor boy is having a large clump of verrucas burnt off starting today , we dont know where he got them from as we dont have any at all , he has a patch thats almost 2-3 inches in size and he has said its like walking on glass.....mmmmmmmmmmm wait until the 50% acid hits them then your 'ouch' when you walk.

Thanks guys for all you wishes , I'm afraid at this time its a case of 'one step forwards and two back' for Mark.............here, mind you if we did that to music we could dance are way around the lounge , thats with my stick and his two crutches in tow :blink:

Willows.

Well another bad night here again, Mark managed to get up the stairs to bed last night for all of 10 mins :blink: then he got up again and went downstairs, apparently he is now having problems laying on his left side because of the pain.............. :(

I sleep on the right of the bed ( as I have a metal puller attached to this side) because my right side is my best, Mark has always slept facing the window on his left side, well its all change here now.

I've just had someone in to move the metal puller thingy from the right side of the bed to the left because from to night I'm sleeping there.

Now I'm not going to tell hubby this , but I just cannot lay on the left side as the pain is so bad down my hip/leg +knee, but I'd rather he got some sleep and got better than lay awake downstairs all night , I can make up my sleep time in the afternoon sometimes, so his health, welfare and happiness come first at this time, you never know with some pill power I might just get a few hours kip .

I'm at this minute cooking Mark a shepherds pie with tomatoes ,carrots, peas and corn in the meat base and then cheese in the mash topping with grated cheese on top , another one of his favourites , follow this with an apple strudel and clotted cream.

All the nurses that come ask 'whats on the menu today Ami'? ............they say that the smell coming up our path each lunchtime is wonderful and then they have to go back to base for a sandwich and a coffee , if they have the time to fit it in that is . :lol:

I've tried my hardest to block my own pain and tiredness over the past few days so that Mark feels I'm OK and can concentrate on getting better, its my son Mike who when gets back from college and comes upstairs to the bedroom who knows how much I'm going though it , but he's sworn to secrecy as well............so no telling tales on me either guys.

If I can just keep this up until he's more able to look after himself then I will have achieved something very positive this week/ month.

After all I've got plenty of time on my hands to sleep and rest every afternoon when I know Marks well fed, washed and comfortable and that is what is most on my mind at this time .............POTS well they can just go in the dishwasher :rolleyes:

Willows.

I actually got Mark in bed last night, he did stay there and slept quiet well considering .

Today I'm going to drive him to the local post office to do some bits and Bob's he's been putting off for a week or more and now desperately needs to do , its his first real outing for over a week , well long before he had the operation.

So lets see how he takes going out into the big wide world again..........with me at the wheel, I do hope he's not a 'back seat driver' because I cant stand those sort of people...yes, I have never ever driven Mark before and we have been together over 6 years now !!! <_< so this should be fun .

Bye for now as got to get myself together now.

Willows.

Isn't it always the way ? ? ? <_<

I manged to get Mark into the car and to this little village shopping centre, I went off and did all my bits , well broccoli, carrots , bread and milk .........how exciting ! While Mark stayed at the coffee shop with his feet up on a chair ( which I had covered with a towel ) and eat 2 jam doughnuts and drunk a pot of tea . :)

Came back to hubby and then had to pay a bill so Mark said ' I'm just going to wobble over to the paper shop and get a magazine' off he set at a snails pace with most of the village watching him in great amusement , sort of one step 'ouch' wobble, wobble, two steps 'ouch' wobble, wobble, you get the picture? :ph34r:

We were out all of about 45 mins in total ( heaven ) I came back to the car and guess what ? ? ?

His nurse was at the shopping centre and caught him :) he got told off good and proper :( ( I said dont go dear , but he insisted ) So off home again with Mark tail between his legs , feet on the dash board ! !

Yep I drove all the way to and from the village with his feet in the air, it did work but now he feels quote; 'I wish I'd waited a few more days dear, you were right ' :):):):) ..............I am now standing open mouthed rather like a goldfish going o' o' o' :o . my husband has admitted I am right .......................this is a historic day at the house of the sore footed lunatic !

Willows.

P.S. he didn't once say a word about my driving , in fact he said that he didn't feel at all sick , now I'm wondering quite what he did mean :)

Marks managed to take a photo of his feet with his phone and post them on a mates site for him so that his friends can see he has actually had it done. Your be surprised the number of people who dont believe it when I say 'yes, both feet at once ' :( there argument seems to be that a doctor wouldn't do that to a disabled men ..................well surprise , surprise , they did !

If you want a look ...........and they are all wrapped by the way , although one is leaking a bit , click on this below ;

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=219601

You will need to scroll down to find it ( if the moderators will allow this )

Mark didn't make it to bed again last night, his right foot was playing up pain wise something rotten again and at this time he's sitting with a hot-water-bottle on it in the vain hope that drawing some blood to the area with heat might stop some of it.

Mikes looking really tired at the minute, he didn't do anything much last night which was a shock as normally we have one of his mates 'loitering about'

And as for me ............. all I'll say is that if Dracula turned up looking for a good feel he'd probably give me some, :lol: if you put a sheet over my head my face would still shine through whiter, :unsure: and sleeping beauty had a little nap compared with how tired I feel at this time!!! :blink: Me thinks I've just about exhausted myself and am about to take a proverbial 'nose dive' ...............preferably onto a nice soft warm cosy bed with squishy blankets and a duvet .................ahhhhh ! :) sleep , pain relief and hot chocolate .

Willows ............feeling like a geriatric snail .

Spike...............where are you ? ? ?

I manged to get Mark to sit at the computer this morning and stick some pictures of our garden onto my photo site if you go to 'getting ready for my daughters wedding ' ( last post ) you will find the link , sorry I cant seem to bring it across to this page ! I'm not that clever .

Just had four hours in bed watching a Harry Potter DVD and am now feeling a bit more ' me' unfortunately while I was sleeping ( watching DVD with my eyes shut again) Mark had a miss- hap and the nurse is now winging her way out to us to sort him out , apparently he went out into the decking and fell :unsure: and his bandage on his right foot is soaking wet as the wooden deck was covered in water and slippery .............so this now has to be sorted and his wound checked ...........I think its just a good excuse for him to have a nose at the stitches himself ................just hope he doesn't pass out when he see's it !

Willows.

Thank you willows. :unsure:

What a beautiful place to live! And your wedding outfit was just lovely.

Still wishing you well with your current batch of challenges. I'm sorry to hear your hubby didn't learn his lesson about taking it easy, but I do understand how hard it is to sit on your *** all day. You all will have to send your son off on a vacation when you can get along without him.

Take care of yourself.

Spike

Thanks for your reply Spike , Mark did all the garden from bare ground , when he was well .

He really is having a problem with what he calls 'lodge fever' at this time .

Last night he came to bed and slept there all night :( he's now doing his own injections in the mornings .

The nurses .yes, two turned up last night to have a nose at his foot , have redressed it and he's now plodding about with just one stick and not in so much pain .........again.

He has said that his goal of the week is to walk down to our 'post office' and back , about 25 mins if walking slowly , he just won't learn will he ! ! !

I'm feeling a bit better today , not so tired and Mike went to bed last night early at 10.00 pm , well early for a 15 year old that is , he looks a lot better today and is all smiles again , mind you we did have his favourite dinner last night Korma chicken curry with rice and nan bread...............yum, yum.

Pootling off today to get some bits for the week end with my trusty side kick ( Mike) .

Willows.

Well didn't have a bad week end as such with Mark, his pain is so much better now :) although he still gets what he says are ' like electric shocks passing through my stitch sites' I think this is possibly the nerves knitting back together or muscles 'defrosting ' if you get my drift.

He's off to the shower now armed with his huge catering pack of cling film , he's got a dab hand at rolling himself in this stuff and hasn't once got wet feet , the only problem with putting it on is ...........taking it off again , he cannot seem to master taking the wet stuff off ..............or may be its just a way of getting me to deal with the wet soggy stuff and getting myself all wet :) .

I'm having sky plus fitted to my bedroom now ( applause, yipppppeeee, yippppeeee , dance around the dining room table , if I could ) we have it in the main lounge and also mike has it in his bedroom, well living in such a tiny , tiny waters edge village like this stuck in the middle of nowhere as mike said quote; 'I'd go stark staring bonkers if I didn't have something else to do when it rains' ............so he' into watching those crime scene and forensic programmes.

So having spent most of this summer being held captive in our bedroom ( no not by hubby ) by the sun, heat and tiredness I'm at last having sky of my own ...............ooooooh ! all those wonderful old films I can watch ................Jayne Eyre, Sense & sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, that one about Heathcliff.........ah that will keep the old ticker , tocking away nicely thank you .

Willows.

willows,

I'm glad things are going more smoothly. (Even if it does mean less exciting stories for us :) ) Especially glad to hear your hubby's in less pain.

Have you seen the 6 hour A&E version of Pride and Prejudice? It was one of the first DVDs I bought. It's my comfort food for when I'm sick. I never seem to get tired of watching it, although I do fast forward through some of the really awkward bits at the Netherfield ball. I hope you enjoy your newly expanded TV viewing options!

Spike

Have I watched the 6 hour version ., have I watched it ! ! ! ................ :):blink::P:lol:

Not only do I own the BBC version with knee trembling Colin Firth coming out of the water ...........ooooooooooh ! (makes me want to take up skinny dipping again ) but I also own the the new version and ...........wait for this one ! ! ! I own a copy called 'bride & prejudice' an Indian version of the original which is sent to music and believe it or not is very good and highly watchable indeed !

As well as these I have; sense and sensibility, Vanity Fair and some musical stuff like 'The king and I ' & Phantom of the opera' ( new version )

I have phantom of the opera DVD on in the car or a'Divo and sing away at the top pf my voice..................this can cause a bit of a problem coming through the village as a'Divo is in Italian ( which I speak on /off) so singing away like this causes villages when hearing me to stop and strain there ears , thinking possible that I'm off my rocker because they cannot comprehend a word I'm singing about .

I used to sing on stage and in a choir by the way , so I dont , hopefully sound like a strangle cat ...........well I can hope cant I :P

Have I spoken to soon today ....................................YES. :)

I think I am going to get a set of leg cuffs and chain my husband to the settee..............he went outside whilst I was asleep this afternoon .............climbed a ladder..........yes , A LADDER and then slipped off hurting his right ankle again, luckily he only slipped about 4 runs down, but he is in a lot of pain now .

When I asked him what he thought he was doing on the ladder in the first place his reply ( rather sheepish ) 'I was that he was checking the back conservatory roof for leaks '..............more likely that he was having a nose over our back wall to see what a group of campers are doing in the pouring rain trying to put a tent up and failing ..........I said ..............ha ! men will they ever learn to do as the doctors tell them.............I won't answer that as I feel hubby may need medical assistance afterwards......................to remove a colander from his head ! :lol:

Willows ........colander ready and waiting should hubby try another 'ladder climbing exercise tonight '

Glad to know you share my feelings about Colin Firth. :)

I, too, have seen and immensely enjoyed Bride and Prejudice. There's nothing quite like a Baliwood musical to brighten a gray day! I have to say, I wasn't entirely happy with the Keira Knightley version. Her Elizabeth was a bit too somber for my taste. Besides, in my book, CF is the one true Mr. Darcy, and any other actor pales by comparison. :)

Sorry to hear things have gotten more exciting over there again.

Spike

I think your right about the new Elizabeth , the BBC ones much better more 'bite' to her.

Well things are going steady downhill now here guys.

Marks been to the doctors this morning as he's lost his hearing in one ear again...........me thinks its just a case of what teenagers get , you know that 'intermittent hearing age' :angry: where they can hear if its something good for them ;) but when its something you need done , there deaf :lol::lol: not that Mike is like this but I hear most of his mates are !

Mark has also discovered another problem with his feet .........now this is gross so dont read anymore if you've just had or going to eat !

He sat on the settee and looked down at his feet and went ' here, dear can you smell something ?' ;) looking at me , who's got hardly any sense of smell at all , did he really thing I was going to shout 'ooooh yes' :)

He then scuttled into the kitchen and came back with a packet of those antibacterial floor wipes...........floor wipes , remember this ............And then proceeded to wipe his feet all over , or as much as he could .............he's now got athlete's foot ! :angry: it suddenly dawned on him that he's been wrapping both his feet every day to shower , and he last washed his feet about ..........10 days ago because the hospital said 'dont wash your feet or get them wet' so of course he didn't ...........sore now or what , ha ! understatement ...........mind you using disposable floor wipes cant help , but at least they are clean, well polished and slip free. :lol:

I dont know always problems here ...........still he's on the mend in the operation department now which is what we were hoping for .

Willows.

Its now been 19 days since Marks operation and I'm rather worried about him. :(

He seems to believe that he knows better than the doctors as to what to do with his feet, let me explain.

They have been telling him to rest his feet , he must walk A LITTLE each day , but not over do it until the stitches are removed ( which is this Thursday) he has so far done the following , which I find totally unacceptable from an intelligent man ;

1. He's taken off the bandages to take photographs of his stitches to send to people on the net , people from all accounts who are rather shocked to receive them .

2. He will not rest as he is told to and keeps walking longer distances every day , despite the fact that his right foot is causing him worse pain than before , he keeps telling me ' I'm going to walk through the pain and prove to them I'm capable of this ' :blink:

3. When he does get back from his 'walking through the pain ' he's then going on about how much his feet hurt and he cannot understand why. :o

I have tried to talk to him but his argument is ' I'm bored with being in side ' ..............so how does he think I feel ?????? I'm bored with being inside as well now its getting cold , but I'm not allowed to say this ............Yep, you read right :o

I'm really getting worried about my husbands mental state at this time, if like now I'm on here and I happen to say , 'oh , so in so's done this , that or the other ' he'll tell me he doesn't want to know about it , he doesn't want to hear about illness or other peoples problems :angry: ............which makes him a hypocrite of the highest order :angry:

You see this week end ( again ) I've had my husband inviting people here to that he could discuss there problems , he's always on the phone to people talking them through ups and downs of just about everything under the sun , and he's constantly going on and on , when we meet people out or on the phone about how he is , his head , his feet , his pain . :)

If I'm asked , he'll say ( not letting me speak ) 'oh , she doing fine ' end of conversation :o

Its almost as if he's trying to ignore the fact I'm ill..............believe it or not my husband is my carer and is paid my the state to look after me each day , generally caring for my needs , but he doesn't .............I have a times been so ill in bed and he's just been watching sky downstairs , trying to hammer on the floor for help doesn't get me anywhere as he just will not hear me .

Yes, I know I'm having a good old moan , but I'm worried .

Is he now trying to convince himself I'm not ill even though he knows I am and need the help each day , or is he just being a selfish person who's more intent on sorting out his life than helping me , because at this time the second answer is what I believe is right .

Willows........................ fed up with trying to cope , fed up with trying not to have pain, fed up with being ignored and fed up in general :( men who's have em .

Men .......................... :D I have now discovered why Mark has been a right pain in the rear end :) ??????

His beloved camera , the one that was stolen , then replaced and then got dust in it !!!!! :) came back from the shop today , well it didn't come back a new one did ( loud applause here guys )

My so called Husband who swears he never gets stressed or is moody ( ha :angry: ) has been like a bear with a sore bottom for weeks now, boredom thats what it is , he's just bored out of his tiny mind here not able to walk about much , tired all the time , in pain , can't sleep , dont know what to eat or not to eat , cannot concentrate ...............well dear I've got one thing to say to you

:D Welcome to my world . :D

He's only had this for a few weeks and his stitches come out on Thursday , think what its like having my world for 35 years + . Men , :D me thinks I will think of an appropriate punishment for him ??????

I know 'itching powder' in his under pants :blink: that will sort him out .............and keep him quiet for a while .

Willows .........feeling very naughty today , but glad her other half is 'sane ' again :P

Hubby's had his stitches out now and his ankles look .....................gross :rolleyes:

Huge 7-8 inch scares down the inside of his ankles from just above his little toes to about 3 inches over the ankle bone , on each foot , no wonder he hobbled around a bit .

Apparently the consultant was very pleased with him and he's healed very well indeed.

Hubby came home and I was up .............then down on the floor being hauled up again. :angry: life like that isn't it !

Wish I had a crystal ball and could predict why is in for the next lot of surgery or bed rest ?

Any bets ????? Hubby, son me ??? dont think so do you <_<

Willows.

Marks a lot better today , so much better that he's been whizzing about with our new hoover :rolleyes: blimey new hoover I could have bought a car for the price of the thing :angry:

Anyhow he's been playing with it , all the nozzles , under the sideboards ( laying on the floor to do this ) .............and guess what ???? Now he's complaining he 's sore and tired :lol::lol::lol: oh ! dont make me laugh my side hurts again. :blink:

Well all's well in the house of the 'sore footed husband' and the 'red spotted troll footed wife ' the tall happy son' has gone out for a change ...........now this is worrying as he's gone to build a boat with his mate.

Hubby is wondering just what this 'boat' will turn out like . Mark ( hubby ) was a professional boat builder until he cut his hand off ............ :o

AH ! !!! Not that professional I hear you say if he did that :lol::lol::lol::lol: shhhhhhhhh dont make me laugh again.

So we are now awaiting a call from the other lads parents and wondering when the ' hello, is that Mikes mum /Dad we're just going to the hospital as ..................has cut there ............!............! electric power tools and electric saws dont mix with lads of 14-15 who are excited about boat building !!!

Willws slowly turning into a red spotted toad

AAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh! good one ............sat here having a silly giggle to myself , honestly how could I possible be a troll I haven't got a green face or a huge spotted long nose ..............second thoughts the green face could be easily acquired if my flu jab started to act with my Pots .......bowls please!!!!

And as for the nose , well :( stick on one :blink: ????

Hubby's trundling well now , we've all had our flu jabs , poor son had flu in one arm and pneumonia in the other , so he's feeling 'sore' :lol::lol::lol:

Hubby's right foot is not healing well and he has to go back to see someone , he cannot bend his toes at this time and is in a lot of pain when he tries to .............so being helpful I said ' dear dont bend it then' to which he just gave me a sort of snort and a black look . He has said his left foot is fine , so I told him he should try hopping everywhere, dont know why but he didn't find that amusing at all :) at this point I took cover and went upstairs , hanging over the banister I could hear him muttering about 'one footed this and that ' ..............' I can hear you ' I called down ..........silence then ' coffee dearest ' ............OH ! men just big babies really :lol::lol:

All quiet here at the minute ( cough , cough) SEE ............'Now whats she up to' !!!!!

Willows............. :P

Willows,

I must say I enjoy reading your postings. I decided to read this thread---and I think I comprehended most of it...

I hope they don't have to do another surgery on your husband's foot---the one that is having trouble.

I'm sorry I haven't responded sooner-------train wreck with the neck lately---having trouble being on the computer---holding arms up to type ect.

My husband got me a new lap top computer for our anniversary---(18 years)--------second marriage............. B) Now all I have to do is get my brother James over here to hook it up and get it going. He's a real computer wizard-------he gets a big kick out of me when I tell him I think it's all magic............. B) My husband realizes how difficult it is for me to sit at the computer---it was so thoughtful for him to think of such a thing..........

I may not post that much---but I have been trying to keep up with some of the postings.......When I read yours I continued to follow it----what a time you two have had. Sounds like your both hanging in there.... :blink:

Take care----------

Maxine :0)

Hello Maxine, sorry your neck is bad at this time, I get a really bad neck when I sit at Mother here for more than 10 mins, so my hubby is sticking my lap-top onto the net. I use mine to write on in bed , much more comfortable but you do have the problem of falling asleep whilst writing and waking up with sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn p. which amuses the men B)

Marks foot is still no better , so he's having physio soon , its so stiff he cant even lay in bed ( face down ) because it just will not lay flat anymore B)

Well bu for now as up to Halloween stuff again .

Willows.

Marks foot is still very bad , he's still not able to sleep very well because of the pain and walking is still not right.

He had the operations as you know in an effort to rejoin some nerves in his feet as he was in pain and kept falling down all the time ( well he said it was the foot pain, me thinks a bit to much of the old scrumpy :huh: ) but now here he is in MORE pain in this one foot than he had to begin with B)

On a more happy note; yesterday I made hubby very happy , I took a trip into town to get some bits of Art stuff and some bread + milk ................came back with a large black labrador in the boot who was worth in excess of ?5,000!!!!! hubby was all cuddles and ear tickles while we waited for his owner to come and collect him.

Flint , as we discovered he was called belonged to a farmer some 2 miles from us , he had taken him into the wood's by the sea to seek out some pheasants ( its pheasant season here) Flint ran away !!!!

I found him looking rather lost and bewildered in the road near our house. Now as some of you may know I have a way with dogs , I must have been one in my past life I think :unsure: so I got out of the car opened the boot ...........and he hopped in all 'Hello you, taking me home with you ? cor thats nice' Lick, Lick !!!!

Hubby seeing dog called around all the local farms and Flints dad was found, he was so happy as he loves Flint to bits and was convinced he would get run over as he's no road senses at all ( like some men I know ......oooops! )

So Hubby had a cuddling session with flint which cheered him up no end and Flint was waved bye, bye later that morning .

Son , who was with me at the time of all this remarked .......' do you know , I went out in all innocents just for for glue, fabric milk and bread and still manged to come back with SOMTHING interesting mum' well what does he expect living with 2 lunatics.

Willows.............any waif and strays come this way please.!