How Many Hours Do You Wear Compression Hose?

Tammy

Okay, so I went to get the compression hose my doctor prescribed, but he never told me how many hours or how long to wear them, only told me to try them out for a few weeks and see if they help or not. Do you have to be carefully how long you wear them affecting circulation and all? Thanks for your help.

Tammy

Ha ernie, that made me smile!!! i could see myself showering wearing my hose as it would make it much easier (although less hygenic!!!)

tammy,

i wear mine from getting up till when i go back to bed. when i sleep in my chair (feet up) i keep wearing it. while in bed i get it off.

good luck,

corina :angry:

My mother has actually suggested that I wear my compression stockings while washing my hair. Maybe if I get desperate enough ...

When I first got my stockings, I only wore them when I was going to be doing something standing up (shopping, dishes, etc.), but now I wear them all the time. Initially, my ankles would start to get raw after a few hours, but I found that lotion stopped that from happening.

• 1 year later...

Wearing them while sleeping/lying down can do the same thing that taking midodrine while sleeping would do: raise your base blood pressure.

I could see logic in wearing the hose while showering, especially if you live alone and want to prevent a faint in the shower. I have several pairs of stockings so while one dried out from the shower, I would have a dry pair to wear during the day.

As for preventing clots while travelling--the hose might help if you are certain that they do not bunch anywhere, like at your knees--if they do, then you need to be sure to stand and pump your legs/calves whenever you can to avoid a clot. I always do this and have traveled now 9 times to Mexico and back again to Philly--with only one bad time preflight b/c the airport AC in Cancun was not working well and it was in the mid-80's indoors. I was so dizzy and nauseated...and all I wanted to do was be flat. I wanted to lay down on the cool stone floor but Teri made me stay in my waiting area seat b/c she was worried that I would draw attention to me and that they might stop me from getting on the plan b/c of medical issues. She got me some wet paper towels and a bottle of cold water from a vendor. The plane was actually a relief b/c the AC was working nicely.

Anyway, stockings are usually worn for your upright time, and off for bed and/or flat time (i.e. in bed watching a movie).

Nina

Guest tearose

I wear them from as soon as I can get into them in the morning until just after dinner. If I wear them into the night I can get too low a heart rate. I must be aware and careful in the evening.

tearose