Docs In Florida

UnicornIsis

Hey everybody,

I need to find an NCS/POTS doctor down here in Jacksonville, Florida or near it. Someone to treat me.

The only ones reccommended on the adult sites are docs at Mayo. But from what I've heard and been told, the Mayo docs just diagnose you, they don't treat and maintain you? Is that so?

Also does anyone know of any docs that aren't at Mayo?

Thanks

UnicornIsis

I've been going to Dr. Miles at the University and Shands here in Gainesville, and he's been awesome, but he told me this past time that he doesn't know what else to do...so I was going to try to go to Mayo in Jacksonville to see if they could tell me what to do next. *sigh* I don't think we have very many options down here.

Having been to Mayo in Fl several times....my recommendation (for the 2 cents it's worth) is to AVOID the neurology dept down there. They do not know the difference between NCS and POTS.

The cardio dept is ok but it all depends on which cardio you get as to how much help you will obtain.

The FL office ended up sending me to Rochester, MN because the FL location does not have the equipment to do all the testing and workup for dysautonomias.

In the end, Mayo simply wrote my Dr's back home and said, "we have no effective treatments for these disorders either....you may want to keep re-trying the various different meds".

Mayo was good for ruling out other diseases or problems that could have possibly been causing the dysautonomia. Vanderbilt was good with trying to help me find the right combo of meds. So these two resources, in my view, offer very different things and neither is very good with follow-up care because of the nature of their practice so just keep all of that in mind and try to pick the place you think will give you the most for your $.

Having been to Mayo in Fl several times....my recommendation (for the 2 cents it's worth) is to AVOID the neurology dept down there. They do not know the difference between NCS and POTS.

The cardio dept is ok but it all depends on which cardio you get as to how much help you will obtain.

The FL office ended up sending me to Rochester, MN because the FL location does not have the equipment to do all the testing and workup for dysautonomias.

In the end, Mayo simply wrote my Dr's back home and said, "we have no effective treatments for these disorders either....you may want to keep re-trying the various different meds".

Mayo was good for ruling out other diseases or problems that could have possibly been causing the dysautonomia. Vanderbilt was good with trying to help me find the right combo of meds. So these two resources, in my view, offer very different things and neither is very good with follow-up care because of the nature of their practice so just keep all of that in mind and try to pick the place you think will give you the most for your $.

Pooo. I'm trying to get in to see Dr. Cheshire in the Mayo Neurology clinic. My doctor says he specializes in autonomic disorders. I hope it's not a waste of money :)

I've been going to Dr. Miles at the University and Shands here in Gainesville, and he's been awesome, but he told me this past time that he doesn't know what else to do...so I was going to try to go to Mayo in Jacksonville to see if they could tell me what to do next. *sigh* I don't think we have very many options down here.

I thought Dr. Miles retired!! He did my double cardiac ablation in Naples, although he was located in Ft. Myers at the time. I know other patients of his were very sad to see him leave Ft. Myers as he was a great doctor. I think they were even making the trip to Gainesville to see him but I thought one of them told me he retired. I'm sorry he doesn't know what to do for you anymore. I wish he would have diagnosed me with POTS first before doing my ablation, personally.

I'll be honest, I know someone who went to see Dr. Chesire and found it to be a waste of a trip. However, I know there is another neurologist at Mayo-Jax now that is supposed to be really good that Michelle was telling me about. Her name is Dr. Blitshteyn and I think she even helps out DINET. I plan on trying to see her if I get the time to head up to Jacksonville because I have had terrible luck locally with neuros.