My daughter finally had a tilt test!!

DawnA

My daughter had a tilt table test this past Friday. Her symptoms have been mild lately so I was worried she would have a normal test. It was not normal and her heart rate went as low as 73 and as high as 150. Her heart rate jumped all over the place ,even while lying, up...down....up....down. Has anyone else had this. Her blood pressure was normal.

She also had an abnormal Q-sort. which did not surprise me. She has always been intolerant to heat. Carissa has had problems since second grade. She was never able to tell me what was wrong or how she felt until this past year when things got bad in the fall. That is when I knew she had POTS, too.

It is a relief to have proof of her problems. My husband always said she was a wimp and she needs to toughen up. I have always been there to defend her. She is an awesome gymnast and has always been on the honor role. Gymnastic has been getting very hard for her. She misses most of the practices. We have talked about her quiting, but I want her to make the desicion. It is a grieving process and it is hard for her to give up something she loves. I pretty sure she will be finished with it by the end of summer. We have been talking about it a lot.

I feel sad for her that she will probably struggle with this for the rest of her life!!

dawn

I'm sorry that you have to go through this. But you know there are things that can help treat POTS. You already have a head start foundation of knowledge so she is better off for it. You probably know more than most doctors and you can educate your daughter.

Don't forget to direct her towards DYNAkids. It's a good therapeutic place for her to go and it is wonderfully written so that she can understand and relate to it.

http://www.dynakids.org/index.jsp

I fear what you are going through, as my kids are exhibiting symptoms too. I think it's just a matter of time.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

steph

Steph, thanks for making the suggestion about dynakids.

Sorry that your daughter is likely to have similar issues to yours. I suppose one of the only good things is that you, as her mom, can truly understand what she's going through.

nina

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter- but on the plus side, she will have a mom who understands what she is going through and will be there to support her. Having a diagnosis is the best thing that could happen to her, although it is most definitely a grieving process when you first find out exactly what you've been dealt. I wish her the best of luck and hope she is able to continue with her gymnastics- if not now, then in the future for sure ;)