I aint no superhero after all...

Hey there all! Today was my sister's wedding--outdoors, which I'd been fretting about for weeks because of the heat in June. However, the temperature was PERFECT today. My blood pressure, on the other hand, was NOT.

I was one of the 4 people holding up the poles that carry the chuppa (wedding canopy). I got through nearly all of the 15 minute ceremony and then the full body flush happened, sweats, woozies--my spouse, Teri, kept mouthing to me to pump my calves ("toes, up-down, up-down"). Took me a few seconds for that to sink in and that bought be about 30 more seconds. However, I had to bail out and pass off my pole to Teri (who had been seated) and I took the empty seat. Thankfully, most folks didn't see 'cause they were facing the other way watching my sister and her husband exit. Nobody seemed to notice the change in the wedding party (which I think is hysterical...I'm 4'11 and Teri is 5'8...)

Took me a good half hour to get myself together enought to head to the reception. On a nice note, my cousin saw what was happening from the audience and she came and checked on me a couple of times afterward. She actually said she could see my entire upper body turn bright pink (I was wearing a strapless dress). Once my arms turned red she was sure I was going to hit the deck... thankfully, I hit the chair :angry: instead

I'll tell you what, if I'm grateful for one thing I've always had with my illness, it's that I usually do get fair warning from my body before I crash.

Off to bed with me. Got through another day; hope you all can say the same! :D Nina

Nina-

Sorry to hear about your experience at your sister's wedding. Everyone- can we relate or what?! This happens so often (especially at this time of year) but luckily it always seems to work out :angry: Thankfully you didn't crash completely- it would stink to pass out at someone else's wedding, I'm sure. It is good whenour bodies give us signals ahead of time- I know mine always does and I can usually avoid crisis if I know it's coming. Hope you are feeling a bit better now!

I have a wedding to go to at the end of the month and I am nervous as well- it will be a lloonnggg ordeal and I am hoping to make it through the whole thing without incident.

I know exactly where you are coming from. Last year I was to do a reading at a funeral. I was standing at the front of the church when "it" happened. One of the deacons saw me start to waver - while I was still reading - and swooped in with a chair. I was able to finish the poem - which was written by the deceased's granddaughter - without missing a beat. Bless Teri for being there and being so attuned to you!

I'm glad you brought this up. I am in my life long best friends wedding that is soon. I too am fearful of the heat. I don't want to ruin her day in any way. We have discussed the what if's. I know most of the time when I am going to pass out but I occasionaly have times where I don't. The heat here in Alabama gets untolerable. She suggested I use a wheelchair, now come on, you know that isn't gonna happen. I feel torn. I really don't want to even do it now because I am afraid something will happen. What if I get up that day and it is one of my days where I have brain fog so bad I dont' remember stuff let alone the steps of a wedding. I love her dearly and would never want to hurt her but I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Paige

Gosh, I wish I had some good advice! I've been in several weddings, and all but ONE were outdoors in the heat of summer. And, the one that was not outdoors had photos outside in a park--I was hot, sweaty and petrified that I was going to fall over on the grass (ah, but still cheesing a smile for the camera :D even when I felt like :angry: )

I was disappointed yesterday b/c my youngest sister was very dissmissive--I came inside and was in the bathroom running cool water over my wrists and splashing my neck to help cool off. She asked if I was okay and when I told her I was going to faint and just need to cool off, she rolled her eyes and walked away. That really bugged me, mostly because she's been supportive at other times. Made me feel kind of sad.

By the way, I seem to be having a very symptomatic week. Not sure what that's about--just one of my cycles. Had an long episode of dropping bp, tachy and swimmy head this morning just after eating my breakfast which would ussually stop upon sitting down, but not today. Probably over did it the past week between the conference last weekend, work, school, and wedding yesterday. It's likely my body's way of saying COOL YOUR JETS MISSY!

Laying low today, Nina

Nina, just curious, were YOU the one who thought you could stand for some period of time, lifting weight, outdoors in the heat (LOL)??? Good thing Teri is there for you...sounds like a great guy and how funny is it that no one seemed to notice when you 2 changed positions!

Sorry about your sister but sometimes family can be funny. BTW last year I went to my brother's wedding which was thankfully indoors but wouldn't you know that someone forgot to turn the AC down early enough that day and we roasted...so even indoors it is not a sure thing!

Take care and REST, REST, REST!!

Hi Nina...I am glad you did not pass out and Teri was there to take over. It stinks that we always have that fear of something happening. It is good that it doesn't stop you from living and you have a good sense of humor about it.

My theory on why you are so symptomatic is that you had to spend the day in close proximity with your mother!!!! It sounds like you have a poor relationship with your mom like me. The thought of being in the same room with my mom makes me sick. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Dawn

Okay - confession time - or maybe just an idea. The florist who made my bridal boquet for me was aware of my problem. She made it so I could slip an ice pack under it and keep my hands cool! My niece was my bridesmaid and made sure to hand back the boquet as soon as we had exchanged rings. Hey - it helped!

Cool idea about the ice pack! Unfortunately, I didn't have any flowers to hold, just that darned post with the big scarf on it.

Dawn, I'm with ya on the mom thing. She makes me so stressed out sometimes. I swear my one sister has just been hanging out with her too much!

Um, well uh... actually, I didn't know I was going to be a part of the wedding party until 3 days ago!!!! And, it didn't find out about being one of the holder of the chuppa until the rehearsal the night before. My sister isn't the most organized person (understatement of the year ;) ). It was her second wedding and she'd told everyone that this was going to be a very simple, very short ceremony with a justice of the peace. I assumed that meant it was just going to be the two of them up there. In a way, it's probably better that I didn't know because I had WAY less time to worry about it.

Nina

aw... ;) thanks. :)

Hey, if you want to see some of the wedding pictures, I put them here.

http://www.ofoto.com/ShareLandingSignin.js...ide%3dtrue&Ux=1

sorry, it does require signing in (I'm running out of space on my website)--just click "join now" in the upper right of the white window... at least it's free! Nina

Edited by MightyMouse

Thank you so much for sharing your story and your sucess in being able to be part of the wedding celebration. The wonderful part for me is how well you knew your body, your ability and your limitations and most of all it sounds like you don't waste time beating yourself up about "what is".

We all have a lot to learn from you. I can tell it is June from everyone's responses and the flurry of weddings planned. As for me ... I missed my dear friend's son's engagement ceremony earlier this month. It was a very special hindu ceremony and my husband and I were so honored to be on the guest list. However, it was one of those hot days ... we were driving only 30+ minutes from home .... but somehow among the heat, or the unknown of it all ... I just couldn't make it. I asked my husband to first just pull off the road. We were maybe only 5 miles away. But after crying in the car for over an hour and being so angry with myself (my husband and the world) I realized that it just wasn't going to be possible. Not that day. I felt just awful. I felt I had let my friend down. And it has taken me a long time to let go and just move on.

For whatever reason .... there are good days and there are bad days and there doesn't seem to be a crystal ball to predict what kind of day it will be.

Good thoughts to everyone and much gratitude to all in knowing that each day we are not alone.

EM