Compression Stockings... Do They Help?

Tammy

Hi, just came back from another follow-up appt with my cardio and he's decided to also prescribe compression stockings as he's thinking part of my tachy problems, lightheadness, weakness, etc. could be stemming from low BP when upright. He wrote out the prescription for thigh-high ones that the second level of compression. I haven't gone to the pharamcy yet as I first wanted to know if this helps anyone and also how often do you wear them. My doctor suggests everyday at first to see if they help or not, but he mentioned they are not comfortable so I'm not sure I'll put up with it if it's too annoying. Thanks for any input.

Tammy

I wear Rx Compression thigh-highs. I find them to be very comfortable. At first they didnt stay up well enough, so I just bought a little bottle of stuff (sold next to the hoisery in the drugstore) called "It Stays" and I dab that on around the top of the hose and they stay up all day and night if necessary.

I find they do give me more standing time- less light headedness. I haven't worn mine all summer b/c of the heat, but I'm looking forward to fall and winter now so I can wear them and put them under my jeans. Oh, I also find the 'open toe' to be the most comfortable. The closed-toe would squish my feet in a very uncomfortable way.

Good luck with it, I think they're worth a shot!!

hi tammy,

i've worn them for years......and CAN'T STAND IT WITHOUT THEM!

i tried them all....and SIGAVARIUS BRAND===THIGH HIGH---ARE THE BEST---AND MOST COMFORTABLE.

i am 5'4".....and wear a 'short'.....and my compression is 30-40hg.

hope this helps...and i also wear them year round.

you can put them in washer...but air dry...btw...B)

(((hugs))))

maggee

While my doctor recommended the wast-high stockings, I can't stand the way they feel and prefer to wear knee high ones. I know they work because if I stand for a few minutes with my stocings on, then take them off, I can see the lower half of my legs are pale and from the knees up is purple B)

I do wear waist high ones in the winter time if I leave the house, but in the spring and summer it's just too hot for them and I get sick from overheating when I'm in them. It's kind of a catch-22.

In my experience, most people with POTS wear some sort of compression hose, and most benifit from doing so :(

I wear knee high compression stockings. They're tight, hot and ugly but they really do help. I just started wearing them in July after my diagnosis. I don't wear them all the time (not with shorts or capris) but I do wear them under long pants, especially around the house, when I want to walk or stand for longer periods of time, and to work. Try them. They really do make a difference. I like the toeless ones.

RobinBZ