You Know You Have Dysautonomia When...

persephone

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Funny...funny....funny. These are great and really make you feel better on bum days. Here's mine.

....when you think of shaving your short hair dogs to avoid the vaccume.

....when you spend the whole day in your bedroom because the only bathroom is on the second floor.

....when your kids tell you "If that's what you act like when you drink, I don't ever want to".

....when your husband MAKES you wear socks to bed.

....When you see a new doctor and you take your medical notes with you..he actually say's "good Lord Lady".

....Let's just say 3 words "Shaving your Legs"!!!!!!!!

....When you have to set an alarm to remember your meds.

....when you pick up your meds from the pharmacy you don't get the little paper bag, you get the big plactic bag.

....When you actually have to RIDE in the kiddie cart at the grocery store. (My kids love this as they argue who's going to push me around)

....When you keep a container of salt in your purse.

Hope to see many more here...These are great.

Nolie

...When you start making up nick-names for your condition so that strangers in a grocery line would think that somebody name 'dessy' (short for dysautonomia) has assaulted you when you blame your bruises from falls on them! (Got the idea from my grandmother, who calls her arthristis 'Old Arthur.')

You know you have dysautonomia when you go to get your debit card out of your wallet and a stack of med info cards and two salt packets fall out instead. True story- happened this morinng!

Carmen

i was wheeling through wal-mart and said i needed to hurry and get something to drink and take my drugs... everyone looked at me insane like OMG did she just say that? no wonde she is in that wheel chair... but what i meant was i needed to get me some water to take my meds... i am just so use to calling them drugs. lol. :)

dionna :)

• 4 months later...

You know you have dysautonomia when you ...

... accidently drop something you were getting, look down at it, say "Rest in peace," and slowly walk away.

... try to figure out if you can take a shower today and can't remember your decision

... 3 days' worth of newspapers accumulate at the foot of the driveway and you are not on vacation

You go to have your first pedicare in two years and get sick immediately when they put your feet in warm water. Geesh, not exactly the relaxing evening I had planned with my little girl! :)

• 3 months later...

Hello all!

I've just been lurking around here since I got my POTS diagnosis, but I've decided to get involved in the discussions. I figured what better way to introduce myself than to add to everyone's favorite thread!

You know you have POTS when:

1. You've been tempted to take a swig from your saline solution bottle while putting in your contacts.

2. Your personal theme song is "Falling into You," "Fade to Black," " Weak in the Knees," or "Dizzy."

3. You can dominate anyone on the Teacups at Disneyland -- you're used to things spinning around.

4. Your family and friends have made large purchases of Gatorade stock.

5. You qualify for 17 separate support groups -- one for each different malady.

6. When discussing bodily ills, your grandmother runs out of complaints before you do.

7. Your life insurance costs more than your father's -- and he's a smoker.

8. While visiting a dude ranch, you joined the cattle at their salt lick.

9. Forget margaritas -- you order your Cokes, iced teas and lemonades with a salted rim.

10. Your company has begun to deduct the cost of water cooler refills from your paycheck.

11. A walk through the health food aisle irks you ... low sodium everything!

12. You've considered moving to Alaska for the climate.

AND

13. You're on so many drugs, the pharmaceutical sales reps visit you personally!

I'm glad I've found a place to fit in!

This is absolutely great! I loved all of these...I don't have any to add yet...but laughed so hard at these and agreed with nearly all of them. Sure is great to have people who understand...and have the same sense of humor to help them get through it all. Thanks for the laughs! :P

-when your family, friends and neighbors refer to your home as "the meat locker" and bring sweaters and fleece to wear indoors regardless of the season

-when your at a doctor's visit, your doctor routinely says to you "what do you think we should do?"

-when a new doctor looks through your files he/she can only sit there, stunned and wide eyed, and say "wow."

-after getting multiple readings on the b/p monitor that indicate your pretty much dead, while you're still talking, the nurse proclaims "this one is broken", gets and new one, puts it on and gets the same reading, then says "this one must be broken too."

-before you've given your name on the phone, your pharmacist recognizes your voice and greets you by name.

-your assigned health care wellness plan representative asks you if they can call you again sometime soon because THEY learn so much every time they call.

-discussion of bowel habits become perfectly appropriate casual conversation with anyone who knows you.

-your spouse arrives home and before any other chat, asks "have you had ignition yet?" referring to the fact that your guts stopped working days ago and the friends and family are praying for you to have a BM soon; they've given up on praying of you to get better and will be perfectly happy with small gift in the bowl of the potty.

--Nina :rolleyes:

It's late and I didn't read them all (although the ones I read were very funny) so may this has been said, but what about...

When your doctor asks you why you haven't been in to see him for awhile and you tell him because you didn't feel well enough to see him

when

on a good day everyone says you don't look good r u all right/

when ur mohter has to help carry you and ur 37yo

ur 6yo daughter asks u every night if u have salted ur food

i love this post , keepp em coming need the laughs, just can't laugh makes my head hurt, but i can still smile.

or when u discover a whole gallon of milk in ur pantry and the can of peas in the fridge.

when u can't swallow all the meds to keep u swallowing

u base the color of clothing u wil wear today to match the color of ur green skin