You Know You Have Dysautonomia When...

persephone

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...when you are accused of faking illness by people who will never know how hard you try to fake acting normal.

i absolutely love this one! THANK YOU!!! :)

i have been doing that for the entire 2 years.

dionna :)

how about...

when you fall down/pass out in the front yard and a stranger that isn't from around here stops at the neighbors and tells them someone is "down" next door. Then the neighbor proceeds to come down to see if your "alive". BTW this was when it was raining.

When your mom calls your cell to see if your alright, when your in the barn.

Such good times....

...when you are accused of faking illness by people who will never know how hard you try to fake acting normal.

Wow- that is so powerful. What a mastery of language- you have just sumarised in one sentence the very essence of how most people with POTS have to live their lives! Do you write much? That was brilliant insight!:)

When you can never catch your employees goofing around because the swish of your medical hose gives you away.

When you feng shui in your living room means that the IV pole balances out the TV and the Recliners are aligned with the huge stack of magazines.

When your family refers to the office in your home as "the clinic"

When you re-live ideas from frat boys stacking beer cans- only you can do it with Zofran bottles

When you seriously considering tatooing "GlaxoSmithKline" on your bottom. Because you love them. And want to marry them.

When you start calling it "Possts" after a long day

When McDonald's gives you a punch card for fries

When "first star on the right, and straight on 'till morning" sounds like the directions for everything!

This is so great! Thank you for the laughs!!!

...You pass out in your food before you are finished eating

...Your 80 year old father pushes you in a wheel chair

...When you have to put "create to do list" on your to do list so you can check something off that day

Hoobaid

PS Go easy on me....my first post :rolleyes:

Two more, then I'm through:

...when you only have a one pair of pants, but you have a whole closet full of pajamas.

...when your relatives start giving you bedding for christmas and birthdays.

great idea for christmas! that will definately be on my list! if i remember ;)

dionna :)

A 'weekend break' is having the family watch your leg being plastered..........................

Eating out with the family is a sandwich in A & E............................

A stiff drink is an 'over thick milkshake'...................

An 'all nighter' is when you dont get up to go to the loo ......................

'Getting lucky' means you find a disabled parking space...............................

You are cautioned by your doctor 'to slow down 'instead of the police...........................

Your partner says 'lets go upstairs and have some fun' and you sit in the bed playing scrabble...............

Ah.............thats a pots life for you . wicked or what !!! Willows. :huh:

ha ha, i remembered another one

when you pass out in a fast food restaurant and someone steals your burger!! (yes this did hapen to me, i was more upset about my missing burger and chips than i was passing out!)

you are considering becoming a glamour model because you are so used to taking your top off for ecg's you may as well be paid for it!

i've emailed this to my mum and she thinks its hillarious!

x x

Morgan

SO NICE TO SEE YOU BACK!!

Willows, your additions were too FUNNY!! This has been such a fun thread. I have enjoyed ALL the add on's to this great kick off.

Thanks Persephone for starting it.

:angry:

But Persephone...notice anything different in my posts these days?!

Hoobaid

Your create a TO DO LIST cracks me up as this is my nightly ritual.

Before logging off my laptop in bed, I EMAIL myself reminders for the next day..but sometimes, I can't remember so I will email'

Make list to buy food and ideas for easy dinner?! Then I may put on the starter list, Gatorade..then in the morning after me coffee, I START THINKING what the HECK am I going to get at the grocery story.

So thanks for reminding me tonight to make a "to do a to do list" deal.

I also, the odd times I am away from the house, will call home from my cell phone to remind me to call somebody, take a med, start another list.

I kid you not..I gotta take advantage of the time the blood stays up in the head between the ears!?. :angry::angry:

The people where you get your Gatorade/Lucozade Sport from think you must be such a dedicated athlete for buying so many tubs of it at once and so often (I always feel like they might stop me buying it anymore!).

When you don't know what season it is because your a/c is always on.

When people start saying they can't wait for summer to come you look at them like they're demented.

When you don't understand why people think it's so great to drink, we feel dizzy and disorientated most of the time, why would anyone want to inflict that on themselves?!

Love the people buy you bedding one! I think it's worth buying really decent, luxury bedding as I'm in it all the time! Spent so much on bedding it's crazy! One set of purple velour bedding (just over ?200) 2 sets of micro fleece bedding, sooo comfy! (Just over ?150) and a black fur throw (just over ?100). Makes me feel good to have lovely comfy bedding that also looks luxurious.

I also think the faking being normal is brilliant, so true!

lauren i had to crack up when i read your pj comment!!.. oh how true!!.. I own some many PJ"S.. it isnt funny!..my dressers arent full of "normal" clothes.. its jull of jammmies.. and heavy slippersocks and wool hunting socks (though not very attractive.. but incredibly warm if you where them in addition to 2-3 pairs of regular socks...:)B):P:lol::lol::lol: )

and the bedding thing i had to laugh.. b/c I have so many blankets.. I have 3 comforters.. 2 quilts.. a big heavy fuzzy moon/star blanket that i just had to have b/c it was fuzzy and warm.. and a micro fiber or something blanket.. along with mutliple throw blankets if needed.. and yes i cover up with them all in the winter..oh yeah then there is the bed sheets.. hahahaha..

this thread is too funny!

• 1 month later...

Great topic, made me laugh..I'm a little late at reading these posts...My fav has got to be...

When the ER staff asks continuously if you do any illegal drugs, due to the fact your arms are all bruised up from the numerous IV's you've had for fluids, etc. :)

you know you have dysautonomia when.....

your doctor walks in your hospital room and says that you look "energetic today".... b/c you are sitting up in bed :)

1. You fall onto furniture... Not cause you are sloppy, but cause you are SO happy to see it!

2. You can mystify any doctor regarless of where they got their degree or what their GPA was.

3. A doctor tells you the best thing you can do when you feel bad is go thru a fast food joint and get french fries!

4. Your motto is "A pickle a day keeps the doctor away"

5. You hate gravity and would consider another, lighter planet.

6. You can walk for a surprising distance with one hand on the wall cause you are blind and getting ready to pass out!

(-;

you get a chit saying you must eat atleast one bag of potato chips a day, and eat plenty of fried chicken.

you get bumped up to first class on a flight because you have been fainting in the airport all day.

your pet turtle seems to have more energy than you today. (i have 3 baby turtles that are 7 months old now)

you understand how precious a "spoon" is and what that means.

you have a better chance of passing the field sobrity test while actually drunk.

more to come. i always look at this thread when i am feeling down.

dionna :P