Can Someone Reassure Me?

I am so stressed out about the loss of my hair. It has consumed my thoughts and I even cried over it tonight. No one else notices the loss because I had such thick hair to begin with...I still have plenty of hair now, but I'm losing so much (especially when washing and drying). I have been taking iron for 2 months and my bloodwork came back great (no more anemia), but my hair is still falling out. I am so upset over this. I know it is vain, but I can't stop worrying about it.

I just want to say that I understand exactly how you feel. This just started happening to me this past month and I am freaked out as well. It was very sudden. It is thinning all over and I feel like it is half as thick as it was. I always had fine hair, but lots of it.

I had my blood levels checked, thyroid, everything fine, but something is not right. I find myself constantly feeling it and checking it in mirror, asking family. Of course they all tell me they don't notice anything dift. but I sure do. I am far from being one who is overly concerned about their looks, but it does concern me- more as a possible sign of added health problems!

Hairstylist cut it shorter to make it look fuller, but she hadn't seen me in 4 months so she didn't notice drastic difference. I will see her in a little over a month if physically able , that is always the challenge- anyway to check in again. :)

I also had this problem. I trien pro-gan which is a short term use can get in pharmacy. When my hair grew back it was/is curly!!!!! I was told to wash my hair only 2-3x week. It did come bacj. Progane is a rest of your life use shampoo, so progane worked FOR ME. Luck miriam :)

I THOUGHT I read here or someplace else that low blood flow to the brain/head might cause hair loss? I can relate, I have had this problem too since my POTS symptoms statred 2 years ago...some of the meds like florinef can cause hair loss but for me it seems like it happens more in the summer, seemd like it might be a cyclic thing?

Jennifer,

I also had quite a bit of hair loss postpartum a couple years ago, but more than the normal postpartum woman. I found that it stopped after about six months. How long has this been going on for you? You're obviously not postpartum, but maybe your hair loss just is occurring later than for other women.

I would try massaging your scalp -- either yourself, or have your partner or a friend do it. Or, if you can afford to get massages, have the therapist do this for about 10-15 minutes. This will increase the blood supply to the head and hopefully stimulate hair growth. I would also try to minimize forceful combing/brushing, but continue to brush your hair daily, with a brush that stimulates the scalp. This also should help with increasing circulation.

I would be willing to bet the phase won't last much longer. Take care!

Amy

Have you had your thyroid levels checked. Even very minor hypothyroidism can cause hair loss.

Women experience hair loss just as men do, except we do not usually go bald. I went through a period in my early 20s when my hair was falling out and it was very disturbing. I truly believed I would be bald by 30 at that rate. Well, I still have a head full of hair at age 38! I know many women who experience cycles of hair loss that is unexplained, so you may not get an explanation, and it will probably stop eventually. But still, if it is disturbing to you, and it seems excessive and a new symptom, it would be good to pursue some testing.

Katherine

Guest dionna

poor thing! my hair started thinning just a little bit but i hope that it has stopped now. i also have anemia and i was taking bb which can also cause hair loss. hopefully it will stop falling out soon. i definately know how worried you are. i wouldnt say you are being vain either. best of luck to you.

dionna :D