How Many Are On Or Have Tried Atenolol?

Tammy

Hi, just was again trying Atenolol that didn't work for me a few years ago, but my EP seems to think it will help my adrenaline rush symptoms, so trying it again. Just was curious to see how many have found this specific drug to work for them or not work for them and why? Thanks.

Tammy

I have been on it for about 3 years and I think it was helping some at first, when I was functioning and working. I would have the presyncope episodes maybe every 2-3 months then. Now I have other medical complications that are not clear and very disabling, so it is now hard to say if it is helping. We have tapered the dose only because my pulse rate was going a bit too low, espec. with decreased activity level.

I have also wondered how many have found this med helpful vs. others. For me I have clear NCS, and the POTS is still in question.

It worked for me with one exception: kidney pain. I'm the only person I've ever heard of that Atenolol seems to do that to. Otherwise I liked it as far as what it did for my vital signs. It stabilized my BP and I didn't get any big highs and the lows weren't too extreme, either. It dropped the pulse signifigantly, which I loved, since tachycardia is one of my biggest problems.

i've been taking it for years. I usually take 12.5 sometimes I take another 12.5 in the eve. In the early years I was taking it for premature beats, the last two years I upped it because of the adrenaline rushes. It helped somewhat, more so if I took an extra 12.5 when an episode happened. If I take a whole 25mg at one time, I feel way to tired and draggy.

It might be worth a shot again, and maybe split the dose if they give you 25 or 50 to start. That might help keep some of the possible side effects at bay.

Well I tried the Atenolol again last night and it majoraly dropped my pulse, was in the 40's most of the time and felt like I couldn't take a deep breath and had premature beats constantly! I just don't know if I should take it again tonight or not. I just felt horrible from it and had the same thing happen 4 years ago when I first tried it. I just kind of think this isn't the med for me, but what confuses me is that both my brother and my dad are on it and they do well on it. Shouldn't it work for me to having the same genetics as them and all? Thanks for all your replies :)

Tammy

Hi Tammy :)

I take 50mg in the morning and I have to say it does work in slowing the tachy down quite a bit. It has also helped bring my BP down (My BP mostly jumps up extremely high) and helped with the severity of the flushing. That being said, I don't really like the side effects. My heartrate does not correspond to my activity level. :) When I stand up and start moving, my heartrate sometimes stays the same as if I was sitting or laying down and makes me very short of breath. I also don't like the extra tired feeling. It just doesn't 'feel right'. I have tried most of the other beta blockers and they made me feel worse.......

Dang this disorder!!! :angry::angry:

Maggs

Tammy,

Everyone is different, even within the family. What works for one may not work for another. There are some other good ones out there, like Toprol, Zebeta and inderal. May just take another shot at another one.

How is your heartrate normally without the blocker? How much are you taking?..

Sorry if I asked this before and forgot :)

The amount I take is extremely small as I am extremely sensative to any medications. My EP starts me on the lowest dose possible and tells me to cut it in half. The Atenolol I believe is 25 but I cut it in half, so that would be 12.5 I guess. Maybe it's still too much for me, I don't know. My normal resting heart rate is usually around 70, but it varies depending on any stress or adrenaline producing activities (like lifting my daughter out of her crib) and it instantly shoots up to around 140 beats per minute. I have a follow-up appt in a week, so maybe I should ask to try something different or something that would be an extremely low dose, like for a child, maybe that would work?

Thanks again!

Tammy