Random Question For Those With Ncs

I often dream that I pass out, and wake up feeling like I have. Do you think that maybe I'm just imagining it because I faint so often, or is it possible to faint lying down? I think I read somewhere that it IS possible, but my doctor doesn't think it is.

nope your not alone on this one.. i often wonder if i'm fainting in my sleep.. b/c i wake up feeling like i feel after fainting..i know it might sound a bit weird but.. i think it possible.. ive fainter laying down while being awake with is freaky so why not do while im sleeping too.. crazy bodys we have.... i havent mentioned it to my doc but.. i "think" its possible...to faint in your sleep.. look at how low your bp can be first thing in the morning. imagine how it gets during the night..

I go through spells where night after night after night I have these dreams(not the same one every night) where I start blacking out and no matter how hard I try to open my eyes bigger I can't see any more. The blackness just closes in like when I black out normally. Most of the time (while the blackout thing is happening) I feel like I can't stand up no matter how hard I try. It's weird and I wonder if it is fainting, but then again, I haven't ever fainted upright before or laying down awake. Who knows...

Yes- it is possible. BP can drop lying in bed too- and you would expect this to sometimes be the case with NCS- as that is not always dependent on posture. I have fainted in bed before and it is just HORRIBLE- really, really scary.but no one as yet has come up with any ideas of what toi do about it other than raise the feet of my bed considerably.

I go through spells where night after night after night I have these dreams(not the same one every night) where I start blacking out and no matter how hard I try to open my eyes bigger I can't see any more. The blackness just closes in like when I black out normally. Most of the time (while the blackout thing is happening) I feel like I can't stand up no matter how hard I try. It's weird and I wonder if it is fainting, but then again, I haven't ever fainted upright before or laying down awake. Who knows...

I was thinking that I pass out in my sleep, but my husband thinks that if my brain had such a little amount of oxygen that I was passing out, how could I still be dreaming?

Random thought.

Guest dionna

i have passed out laying down a few times while i was still conscious. um i think i have when i was sleeping too. sometimes it is really hard to wake me and when i finally do i feel numb like if i passed out standing. so yes i think it is possible. and i do have dreams that i faint in but i don't know if that is when i actually faint or not. i thik it may just be part of the story of the dream. but who knows? hppe that maybe helped you some what, if nothing else atleast it let you know you aren't alone.

dionna :)

I was thinking that I pass out in my sleep, but my husband thinks that if my brain had such a little amount of oxygen that I was passing out, how could I still be dreaming?

Random thought.

good question!!! i think, who knows how our brains work (or "don't" :P ) ??? :huh: crazy things! :angry::P:)

i definitely have passed out, repeatedly, even when already down! & i have dreams that i can't move...wake feeling like that "just returned to Earth" feeling after faint/near faint. actually most of my faints are "near-faints" technically....but it's excruciating, i think i'd rather just be completely unconscious!! i can't move but i'm still just barely conscious enough to know what's going on around me, my BP and HR will be *extraordinarily* low, but i remember things that were happening.

i've had some docs say it is impossible for me to be concsious at such low levels, but then they say ppl in comas and with altered levels of consciousness are able to hear, just can't respond, right? so who knows? i often wonder if that is what it is like when i'm dreaming i can't move....or when i'm awake and can't respond.

the strange human brain. and in we dysautonomics, seems like ours can be especially strange. :) i think we just don't know enough yet. someday??? 5903 AD? maybe? would be nice in our lifetimes, huh? :P

as far as those doubting docs go, i haven't met one yet who knew EVERYTHING (just thought so! :)) so just remember Anything is possible! (including treatment breakthroughs, good days...all those sometime seemingly far-off good things, too :) )

good luck :) Lulu ;)

This happenned to me the first time about 25y ago. My husband says that there is a ?level of falling asleep that you are not asleep . i woke and tried to call no voice tried to knock lamp off table couldn't move. Don't know if I am making sense time to quit now. Miriam :huh:

When I first had symptoms, I would jerk awake just after dropping off (Isn't it rude to wake up like that?) Once, I dreamed I was at a reunion of a neurology class I took and when I went up to the instructor I told him I was going to pass out. And then in my dream I did, then I jerked awake with a quick breath. That is when I started to suspect a sleep apnea type problem. And that is when I started to sleep on an incline, head up, so my evening meal would put no pressure on my diaphragm. It really helped.

Do you eat late or big dinners? Do you have any sleep disorder? Does your blood sugar drop over night?

I don't know that much about sleep architecture, but I know that there is a stage where your body muscles are "paralyzed". Perhaps when we feel we cannot move, it is true and not just a dream.

Anyway, it is very scary and I hope you can overcome it, or sleep through it, or whatever is normal for you.

OLL