I Have A Rash On My Stomach

DSM3KIDZ

I'm going to the doctor to see if it is shingles. What is happening to my body? I thought you get shingles if your stressed and I haven't been.

The rash showed up the same time my neck and back started hurting. I wonder if there is any correlation.

Anyone else had shingles? I'm worried about permenant nerve damage since I already have nerve problems.........that's why I have Autonomic Neuropathy & POTS and Gastroparesis.

I'll let you know what the doc says.

Dayna

Definitely see a doctor. There are all kinds of causes of all kinds of rashes.

I have a friend, age 27, just getting over shingles. She did have pretty bad pain with it--primarily in her abdominal area. She was not stressed particularly, nor has any other health problem. I think shingles can happen to any adult.

See what the doc says, but I believe permanent damage from shingles is unlikely. It does last a long time though--e.g., weeks.

Take care,

Katherine

Hey sweety...I hope it's not shingles! That would be very itchy and painful!

I had a mild case of shingles when I was younger. I was told if you had had chicken pox you can get shingles (an adult form of chicken pox) if your imune system is low. Stress can trigger it, but so can a cold or being injured. From what I understand you can get chicken pox from shingles, but cannot get "shingles" from shingles.

Sorry if that was confusing...:blink:

Good luck,

Amber

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you have another illness to deal with. How long does shingles usually last??

Jacquie

Dayna

Sorry to hear it is shingles. I don't know very much about it. I thought the pain would be related to the rash area, but I don't know--I will ask my friend about her experience. Like I said she is very healthy, athletic, young. I know she had pain, and it lasted for weeks, but she did not miss work b/c of it. Anyone can get shingles, although it is more common in older people or in people with stressed immune systems.

Get as much rest as possible. Let us know how you are!

Katherine

Hi Dayna,

I'm sorry to hear that you have Shingles. Always something else huh? My sister in law had shingles and she is very young too. I have read that more and more younger people are developing shingles. I think the pain varies from case to case. My guess is that if you are not in alot of pain already, hopefully it will be a mild case. I'm thinking of you.

Susan

Hi Dayna

This is from my friend who just got over the worst of her case of shingles. BTW, the worst of her case only lasted for about a week, not weeks as I stated above:

"In my case, the sharp knife like pains were mostly in the lower left

back and side, not just where the rash is. However, I couldn't have

anything brush up against the rash because they seemed to be a bit more

sensitive to touch.

Prescription ibuprofen really helped me with the pain. I don't like to

take medicine at all but after 3 or 4 days of it I just wanted to be

normal again so my doctor prescribed it for me. It really does work.

If the doctor's discovered the shingles early enough then she's

probably

on medication. The medication I took + the ibuprofen really helped me

get over it in ~ 1 week so I was extremely fortunate.

I still have scaring from the rash and every now and then I'll have a

minor jab to the left side but I realize that occurs when I am worked

up. It seems that my body has decided to stab me in the back in order

to tell me to calm down.

Well, I hope this information helps. Lots of people told me horror

stories too but every case is different. "

Hope this is helpful, Dayna.

Katherine

Shingles is the chickenpox virus. The rash occurs on one side of the body and usually is very painful as it follows the nerve pathways. My sister recently had it and she had pain for 6 months. She finally took steriods and that helped. Our immunity wears off as we get older though I have seen 9 year olds with shingles. It commonly occurs when we are run down, stressed or after a tramatic event.

Dawn

Have had 3x in last 2 years. Ask your doc for lydocane patches......They can be cut to go where you need them. They are awesome. See id you can get a box. They work for other things too. Shingles is caused by the chicken pox virus which is dormant. The problem is if you come into contact with someone who has not had them, or pregnant women. Good luck Miriam :)

Dayna,

That stinks. I hope you heal quickly and the pain is under control. From what I know about shingles, which is not much, they are very contagious. Might you have been in contact with someone who had them? It could even have been as simple as someone who didn't know they had them and was out in public, and you somehow came into contact with them.

Good luck.

Amy

Or chicken-pox..I may be wrong but I tyhought they were another form of them(adult onset) I thought in the past I had heard that..maybe I am wrong.

The shingles may just be causing you to tense up your back muscles Dayna???

Anyhoo..how are you doing are they starting to go away for u?

Bee :)

I think things are getting better. The Valtrex must help it run it's course quicker. My back is feeling mostly better and the rash is healing. I'm just left with a blah feeling. Kind of like I'm getting sick but I guess any virus will wipe us out.

Lots of fluids and relaxation for me

Thanks for everyone's imput and I fortunate that I seemed to have a mild case of them. Hopefully my shingle days are coming to end...........except for our roof. We need to reshingle that :)

Dayna

Hi Dayna,

Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better :)