Forget The Back Pain -- I'm Pregnant!

calypso

So I thought it was kind of odd that I had been doing pretty well this summer with the POTS symptoms. My life was relatively calm, I was able to go med-free, I was enjoying the summer. I still have some odd health issues, but I'm stable.

So my husband and I started to try for another child. I was nervous because my last pregnancy brought on POTS postpartum, and I didn't know how this one would go. Well, I figured that it would take a few months. But apparently, my body likes to get pregnant on the first try.

So whether I'm ready or not, here we go. I am really excited, surprised, nervous, emotional as can be. I am still in pretty severe pain following a mystery incident that caused pretty severe back pain the last several days, so I've been a bit distracted. I do have an appt. for the back pain tomorrow, and the thing that stinks is I can't take anything for the pain except Tylenol and Advil. So my doc probably will poke around, tell me I have soft tissue damage, and tell me there's nothing he can do. What I would give to get a shot of Demerol right now! But instead, I guess this will prep me for more labor pain -- which is seriously close to what I am feeling right now in my back.

I am very early in the pregnancy, but I feel comfortable sharing this news and hope that everything turns out OK. I'll keep you all posted as things progress. I should probably have figured out something was up when, like I said, I went from being pretty stable to feeling exhausted and weak, but I thought it was the usual POTS (I often get worse at the end of summer, for whatever reason).

Wish me luck!

Amy

Congrats!! You must be soo excited!! Hope your pregnancy goes smoothly! :)

Oh Amy!

This is very exciting! I know how much you want to have another child. I can only imagine the mix of emotions you are feeling! I know I will be following your progress closely, and hoping for a healthy, easy pregnancy with NO post-partum POTS and a healthy baby!

I do hope you are able to get some relief from your back pain though! Ugh!

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your joyful news with us.

Emily

hi amy!!!

well, congratulations with this great and exciting news!!!! i am really happy for you!!! i hope your doc can help you with the back pain. i really hope that you can enjoy this pregnancy and that a heaalthy wealthy baby will be born!!

so congrats to you, your husband and your oldest one (she will be soooo proud!),

corina :)

amy that is great news!! congradulations!! best wishes to you and your family on a safe and healthy pregnancy and delivery!

hugs~!

Congratulations!! It is nice to hear some good news around here!

Do you have a high risk ob/gyn? I saw a high risk doc when I was pregnant just because of the medications I was on. I think I felt safer knowing that my doc specialized in complicated pregnancies.

My best to you for a happy healthy pregnancy!

Susan

Thanks for all the well wishes. Susan, to answer your question, I have a regular OB who knows about my POTS issues. He seems perfectly happy to consult with the perinatologists' group I saw after I had my daughter, and they are all very good.

Also, I went to the doctor re: the back pain yesterday and as expected, I should have pocketed the $$ instead. Because I can't take anything, there's really not much that can be done. He thinks I have a muscle strain with possible ligament strain, and that my muscles are spasmed pretty good as a result. He expects me to recover in about three weeks. Thankfully, today the pain has gone from the usual nerve pain to muscle stiffness and pain, and that's much more tolerable!

Amy

thanks for the update amy. to be honest, i was afraid that the backpain might have something to do with the pregnancy (in a not so good way i mean). really glad to hear it looks like a muscle thing. maybe that was worth the dollars???!!!

hope everything will go fine now!

corina :blink:

a belated congratulations! i'm sure there will be days that aren't easy, but i'm SO excited for you. i was thrilled when i read your post initially but couldn't reply at the time and just realized that i never came back to it.

i hope you've gotten some relief from the back pain as well...

;) melissa