First Time Since Illness I Felt Like I Was Going To Pass Out

DSM3KIDZ

Well i took my daughter school shopping today and was in the stores over my limit and all of a sudden it felt like the noise of people taking was a million miles away and I started getting nauseated and felt really flush I knew I had to sit down right there and then.

What a scary feeling specially being with my daughter. I'm so sorry that some of you have to go through that on a daily basis my heart truly goes out to you.

I will not push my limits like that EVER again!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone's having a tolerable night

Dayna :)

It is an awful feeling. I get it so many times a day it's become "normal."

It is often embarrassing. I have woke up on the grocery checkout belt. On the floor of a department store. In the car.

I have become quite the homebody and hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try to tighten your legs and butt when you are shopping, it does help.

Dawn

Another trick is to cross your legs and flex your thighs while standing..moving around helps alot especially if you have to wait in any kind of line..or sometimes I will crouch down. Make sue you drink lots of fluids before,during and after outings.

i've been trying the crossed legs also and it really helped (at least for a while for me). i know how bad it makes you feel when this happens dayna and it kept me at home for a long time. now that i have my scooter (okay, that's for 2 years now) i'm able to go shopping now and then. never more than an hour but it's great to get out of the house at times! did you explain to your daughter what happened? she must have been scared also!

corina :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well it happened again. I felt like passing out and I was in the store again but I was only there for about 30 min.I'm starting to feel better physically and have been really enjoying it than BAM.................I have to be reminded that I have this stupid illness. This happened the same exact time last month. I'm not due to get my period till 24th so I don't think it's hormones.

I did just start mididrine (however spelled) but it's only 5mg in the morning for the first week.

I know I'm rambling but it's a scary feeling as MANY of you know.

Dayna

for some reason, the mall is particularly difficult for me. i do well for the first 30 minutes or so, then BAM.....i get the weakness, shakiness in the legs, nausea, sweaty, light-headed......it's wierd though because i have gone to outlets and been okay. for some reason, the mall = **** for me. lol. and no, it's not after i realize how much i've spent! hahaha!! :huh:

cardiactec................your funny. Mine happened at Kohl's department store and Target. I decided I'm not going shopping alone with my kids anymore. I'd rather fall out alone so they don't get scared and wonder why mommy is sitting on the floor at the store.

I'll also start online shopping if I know exactly what I need. I hate shopping anyways.

Dayna

Shopping malls have always been a terrible place for me. I love clothes shopping, but even when I was relatively healthy, I'd start to get cloudy and headachy within 30 minutes. Put me in a second-hand store, though, and I'm fine. Malls tend to have a high concentration of certain chemicals, formaldehyde (sp?) in particular, so if your system is hyper-sensitive that might be part of the problem.

Spike

The other day I learnt a technique to stop you passing out. Apparently pilots do it when they're battling g-force. You tense all your muscles and kind of strain as if you're constipated! Though I wouldn't fancy doing it when you're in a store! LMAO!

I always thought if you strain you're more likely to pass out (if you're doing it for bathroom reasons!) but I heard this technique from a Dr.

if i can't sit i keep moving, but once i stop moving it better be because i found a place to lay down becaue if i don't, i faint times i stop. it happens everyday whether i am shopping or not. that is why i take my wheels when i leave the house. like dawn said--- that is me being normal. i hope that this does not become a frequent symptom for you. it is terrible as you saw. i hope you get to feeling a lot better and never actually faint. i do suggest immediately sitting though.

the straining.... hmmm... i might try that....... but the pilots that are fighting the g-force are also sitting so that gives them and extra advantage. i'm not saying it won't work if you are standing but... they just have a slight advantage. just as a FYI female pilots do much better with g-force because of their anatomy so i learned from a video when i was thinking about becoming a pilot in the airforce.... i'm glad i didn't though.

also i found a way to walk funny. i walk with my legs out wider, making my knees stay bent as much as possble and my back is bent like i have a hump in it and my head is left hanging down only looking up to see where i am going. yeah it looks funny but saves me trip to the ER. people can point and laugh all they want.

i use a shopping cart if i am not in my wheels. i just lean on it and that usually helps. basically i just keep my head down as much as possible while walking.

midodrine, can cause me to faint more sometimes. beta- blockers definately do.

i hope any of that helped you.

dionna :wub:

Hi,

I am on Midodrine 10mg every 3-4 hours and I STILL get that near syncope. I notice that when I stand in line I often fidget alot, just so I won't get the near syncope feelings as bad. I can get the feeling when I'm sitting or laying down as well...although when I lay down it passes pretty fast...Anyhow, hang in there...maybe an increase would help a little??

Jacquie

dayna -

you may know this & i realize that you're starting with less to try it, but with only taking midodrine once a day it will be totally out of your system by the afternoon (usually 4-5 hours after you take it).

i guess i don't really even remember what it's like to NOT feel pre-syncopal anymore as i am that way even sitting for more than a few minutes, but i still wouldn't wish it on anyone.

hang in there,

:wub: melissa

I've learnt to rock from side to side and /or backwards and forwards when I'm out if I have to stop at anytime ( I do have a stick to lean on whilst doing this )

I was told that it would help 'pump' the blood back up and not let it pool in my feet ...............well since I had my last 'kiss the floor ' episode I've done this rocking and rolling ............and it works for me .

But I do look a little strange and was asked by an assistant if I needed the loo one day :wub:

Willows.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts with me. Like I said in my first post my heart goes out to those who feel this way all the time.

I will use everyones suggestions when I'm out and about. Hopefully this is a temporary thing. I remember feeling the same way a few times in elementary school and about 10 yrs later when I worked in a factory at 16. And then again when I was in my first trimester 8yrs ago so I'm due for a few spells I guess. Except then everything would turn bright yellow and couldn't see but even then I was able to sit down and never fainted. It makes me wonder if I had this illness all these yrs ago but just very very mild. I wonder.

Oh well I won't worry myself sick over this just chalk it up to a bad day.

You are all so awesome. I'm glad I have a place where I can get feedback

Dayna