Where Are All The Men?

Guest danielvasel

Guest danielvasel

this is weird... there are almost no guys in here... i know that most of "POTsies" are women, but the ratio is like 1 guy/4 girls... and in here it must be like 1/20(im just guessing)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there must be an explanation for this...

id definitely like to talk to some men about POTS, as there are some things that only affect us....

but don?t get me wrong, you girls are awesome :P

take care you all

I have a male friend with POTS and he says he never wants to go on the internet boards because he doesn't see the point in talking about it. He says he thinks it is better for him to put his time into exersize and if he has a questions he asks his doctor.

I don't know if that is more common for men? I know support groups I have gone to for illnesses are almost always women.

Guest danielvasel
I think the ratio here may be more like 1:40!?

yeah!! you?re probally right!!

I don't know the explanation. Where did you see the ratio of 1:4 for POTS?

hmm, in many websites, some say 1:4 and others say 1:5... i think that you?ll find this info in this very website(not sure though)

thanks for replying katherine

I have a male friend with POTS and he says he never wants to go on the internet boards because he doesn't see the point in talking about it. He says he thinks it is better for him to put his time into exersize and if he has a questions he asks his doctor.

hmmm, but I don?t think that?s very smart... i?m sure that his doctors doesn?t know everything there?s to know about POTS ;)

I don't know if that is more common for men? I know support groups I have gone to for illnesses are almost always women.

yeah, that?s probally it... men tend not to like supportive groups...that?s also my case, hehe... but this forum is much more than that... it is awesome!! im so glad i found it

I think, generally speaking, women tend to want to "talk" about this stuff more. We do have a good number of male members, but I think they come here for more practical reasons, such as to get answers to specific questions about their symptoms, their meds, or getting medical care.

Nina

Hi Daniel -

Not sure what to think. Is it truly a lower occurence among men, or is that just inferred from our small vista on internet message boards?

I take epidemiology of poorly understood or non-specific disorders with a grain of salt. After all, the 'experts' say a majority of chronic syndromes resolve themselves over time, and are not that distressing. I am a guy. I have POTS, heart rate wise, and a number of non-specific symptoms that I have inherited from my father - so that makes two more males out there!

I don't think it's hormonal.

Personally, I think that that men are under diagnosed, just like women of course but more so. The experts say that there are over a million people with POTS but if that's the case why do I only know of about 6 or so in my area? I know that the West coast population is even less diagnosed because doctor's don't usually recognize the symptoms. OK I'm getting side tracked but my point is that I think there is a greater population of males than is known about.

Do you know that this syndrome was first recognized in men and not women. Some of my early posts will show you the documentation.

AKA

Soldier's Heart

irritable heart

effort syndrome

neurasthenia

idiopathic hypovolemia

hyperadrenergic orthostatic hypotension

vasoregulatory asthenia

Timeline on Military with similar illness or called War Syndromes (very interesting)

http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/medical/med_syndrome.htm

http://www.worldhistory.com/wiki/N/Neurasthenia.htm

Neurasthenia disorder info sheet

http://www.psychnet-uk.com/dsm_iv/neurasthenia.htm

AKA put out by CS group - kind of interesting

http://www.cssa-inc.org/Articles/CFS_names.htm

My husband doesn't participate but he does ask me questions about the forum from time to time - especially if anyone has a specific symptom or if I heard of anything that might help. He likes to just "go on with life" and forget as much as possible that he has this condition (which can cause a whole different set of problems). Plus, he has his brother that he can talk to.