Sores In Mouth And Extremely Burned Tongue

jkapache

It has been a week now, that I have had 7 canker sores in my mouth, a tongue that feels completely burnt, and a cold sore on my lip, that isnt going away. My mouth hurts so bad I can't even use toothpaste! And I eat warm or cool foods that dont require chewing, or very little. Has anyone else ever had this many at once? It just came on out of nowhere. I was wondering if it was from all the acid from vommiting (GI stuff). It hurts to talk too! Went to a GP and they said everything was fine... my throat, ears, tongue.... but I sure dont feel fine! Any ideas?? I hate to blame everything on POTS, but this is kinda weird!

Guest dionna

i have never had either but my man does. he always has though. i have no advice i just wanted to let you know that you aren't that alone. he shares in your pain. i don't personally know the pain but i can see his face and loss of appetite when his hurts (and he is always eating- big guy- atleast 225lbs- sometimes more). i hope they go away soon.

dionna :rolleyes:

I get the same thing, and I sympathize. Eeek, I'm sorry. I haven't gotten it in a while, but every few months, it comes back. My doctor says I normally get it around my time of the month because of the hormone imbalance, but he was startled by the sheer amount of the sores and such. My doctor prescribed Valtrex(I think, whatever the herpes medication is), because canker sores are a form of herpes? I don't know whether or not it helped, because mine normally go away after about 7 days...so I don't know if it was the medication, or they just went away on their own. There's also a medication that mothers give teething babies, and it numbs the pain, if you want to ask about that.

*hug* I'm so sorry that you're in pain. :P

I was curious about this, so I just looked this up (i've had patients with lots of mouth sore issues :( it's OUCHY!) and was surprised to learn that canker sores aren't the same herpes, :P although herpes can cause mouth ulcers (lots of stuff can!). Check it out! Learn something new everyday, i guess. i always thought they were the same! :D

MedlinePlus Online Medical Encyclopedia Info on Canker Sores

And this article I thought was really helpful....it suggested a number of pain relief methods, one of them being to mix Milk of Magnesia and Liquid Benadryl (50/50 combination) and swish it it your mouth! You can do this with a teaspoonful every 4 hours. (I'm no doctor, but i think you would be able to use a bit more, like maybe 2 tbsp, b/c it would be hard to "swish" a teaspoon if you're really hurtin! especially if you're spitting it out after) It also suggested that your doctor may be able to prescribe a medicine to help relieve the pain from them. (like maybe liquid lidocaine?? i'm not sure)

Info on Canker Sores from the AMA

I have also heard that L-lysine is helpful. This supplement that comes in a gelatin capsule filled with liquid. one way to use it it to poke a hole in it with a pin & squeeze it onto the area or to use a qtip covered with the stuff & put it on the sore. Then don't eat or drink for at least 30 min. (maybe use it at night?)

just remember it's EXTRA super important to continue to take care of your mouth, or the sores could get worse! make sure you are swishing some warm water in there (or sage-chamomile tea) every few hours. are you able to drink ensure-type stuff? it will have the calories and nutrients you especially need while your body is trying to heal....which i hope is really soon!!! :) good luck and i hope you feel better! peace, lulu :D

First things first. The whole picture (especially the "burnt tongue") sounds suspiciously like vitamin B2 deficiency. I'll bet that the "cold sore" is in the crack at the corner of the mouth. If the problem is B2 deficiency, then it will clear up in a few days if the person starts taking a vitamin supplement. Like magic.

Jess, you mentioned "GI stuff." If you have some GI problems, you might not be absorbing vitamins properly. If the problem is B2 deficiency and the GP missed it, you may want to get a new GP--especially if the deficiency is secondary (i.e., due to malabsorption).

For someone with severe riboflavin deficiency, the Merck Manual says to give 10 to 30 mg/day by mouth in divided doses until a response is seen, then 2 to 4 mg/day until recovery. You can also get vitamin B2 shots from a doctor if your GI problem is severe.

http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/CVMHighLigh...k.com#hl_anchor

Thanks for all the great info! I have ben on a B Complex vit. for about 3 weeks now, however my main concern is that it is not staying down. It is a time release vit, and they say take it with a meal, however I take it right before going to bed, there is usually something still in my stomach, becuase the GI problems that I ahve are, I cant keep anything down- after I eat, most everything comes back up. So I thought it would be best to take the vit at night so it at least had 12 hrs to 'wrok'. It really is frustraiting that my GP didnt do anything, she knows I have POTS and have been throguht alot, the least she could have done would have prescribed something for the pain! I am giving my mouth till Monday, otherwise I am going back in, and will demand med and blood work! Thanks for all the info!

I would guess that it would be very hard on your stomach to take the pill before bed. It may even be causing your problems. Vitamins are very strong.

Now, the fact that you can't keep them down, you will have to come up with another method.

I would suggest stopping the vitamins before bed to see if that will help ease up the ulcers.

Heck, if I did what you are doing, I would have ulcers also and my stomach would be raw.

I once went to a "health food" Dr who gave me vitamins in an injection. I don't know if regular MD's can do this?

If you are not getting your B2 because you are throwing it up, you are probably not getting thiamine (vitamin B1), either. If you are not getting thiamine, you can end up with serious permanent brain damage (Korsakoff's).

http://healthgate.partners.org/browsing/br...39;s%20Syndrome

Tell your doctor that you aren't absorbing your vitamin B2, as you can tell by your glossitis and angular stomatitis and sore throat (classic classic signs of vitamin B2 deficiency!!!). Tell the doctor that this means that you probably aren't absorbing enough thiamine, either, and that this puts you at risk for serious permanent brain damage. So the logical thing would be to give you injections of B complex until you stop with the vomiting and can absorb what you take by mouth.

Why on earth are they giving you a time-release formulation of vitamins if you are vomiting??? If they gave you a liquid form, maybe at least some of it would stay down. If you can't keep the time-release formulation down, can you try just the regular kind? Maybe then you'll absorb at least some of it. Ask the pharmacist, or send someone if you are too sick to go yourself.

Why are you vomiting?

lthmas521, thanks for the reply/link. My drs dont really seem to think about the fact that nothing is getting absorbed. They gave me some stuff for the vommiting, and I am being sent to a GI for some tests..... my dr thinks that the POTS is affecting the digestive system... till then most everything I eat, except breads, somes back up. will have to ask about an injection! Thanks!

Here's a link to an abstract about bad effects from vitamin deficiencies in women who couldn't keep any food down because of "morning sickness" (hyperemesis gravidarum, which means extreme vomiting in pregnant women).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

In the meantime, can you get any liquid vitamins from the pharmacy? Maybe at least some of that will stay down.

Best of luck!