Flying

Guest dionna

Guest dionna

well... tomorrow i have a flight scheduled to go to DC to get to the doctor for a couple of weeks. with the elevated security and all... with the long lines... i'm afraid i might faint... which i have done twice before and i wasn't able to fly... no beverages on the flight... i used to use water to help me during the flight. now what? i have many words about the terrorist but... i will be nice... argggggg! so i think i am going to take my wheel chair or maybe just use one of theirs. any ideas or suggestions? thank you for any replys.

dionna :(

Sorry to hear you have to fly this week :( A wheelchair might be a good idea in case the lines are long.

As for the water, I'm guessing that once you're in the airport you can buy whatever you need. I wonder if they'd let you take that on the plane as you would have already gone through security at the point... If not, I'd talk to the flight crew and explain that you have trouble staying hydrated and need extra water. I bet they'd be happy to make sure you get enough. If you have time to talk to your doctor, I bet bringing a doctor's note along explaining that you need to stay hydrated could be helpful.

Good luck with your flight! Let us know how it goes.

Pam

Absolutely. If you're worried that you might faint or get really symptomatic on the trek across the airport, use a wheelchair. You can either amend your ticket info or call customer service. I also always wear compression hose on planes. If you can get a bulkhead seat, you'll be able to wiggle your legs a bit more. Also, I carry water bottles wherever I go. Yesterday I flew from the UK to Philadelphia and brought 2 1 L bottles of water along with the beverage service. It's still not enough, but plane air is so dry that nothing feels like enough. On the way over there, i was guzzling, and my fingers shriveled like I was in the bath! On planes, I guess I always bring a big enough purse that I can fit enough water into it. (Do you have a camelbak??) :() Good luck!!

First of all, I am not starting a debate here on wheelchair use on planes.

It is a very sticky subject. As a disclaimer, my relative works for an

airline so I am not picking on them. Just words of warning and experience.

You should definitely use the wheelchair. the security lines are so bad

lately, and you do not need to even be worried about fainting and missing

your plane because they are requiring medical help.

In case you do not know DOT regulations require if you are bringing your

own manual wheelchair that they store it in the onboard (read in cabin)

closet. unfortunately many times the crew will try to say it is full( it may

have their luggage in it, but unless it is someone else's wheelchair you are

within your rights to require them to empty it, store whatever else is in

there elsewhere and place your wheelchair in the closet. of course your

chair must fit to qualify, and pre boarding is usually best, so someone

"important" (and I assume in DC there is always someone important...wink)

doesn't get their luggage in there first. if you did know this good, if not

feel free to contact me and I can give you more info in rules and regs.

Unless you want to check your wheelchair at the gate which is fine too, but

many of my friends have had their power wheelchairs ruined by the airlines,

and then they are on their own to have them fixed. Also many of them that

checked theirs needed to wait until it was brought to the gate, and missed

connecting flights.

As far as water,the news wrote about an hour ago, you are not allowed to bring bottles of liquid on flights, so bring a note from the Dr. saying they need to give you water and refill you as you request for a medical condition, maybe that would work?

I would call the airports you will be in and ask them if there's a medical excuse for taking liquids with you. I have a feeling it will be pretty hard since they are announcing NO liquids at all on planes but perhaps you can load up before you leave and in the airport (if that is even permitted) and you will be ok for the flight.

I would also put a call into your doc requesting he drafts up a letter stating you need to travel with water to see if that makes a difference at the airport. Or if you feel better getting IV therapy, ask for IV fluids today and explain that since they aren't allowing fluids you would feel more comfortable getting "filled up" for the flight?

I also agree with the use of a wheelchair especially since I bet security lines take longer to get through as searches are more intense.

Good Luck

The liquid rule is new as of less than 24 hrs ago. It may not remain in place--but who knows. When I heard this on the news this AM I immediately thought of all of us who really must have extra fluids on a flight.

Sorry you have to travel by air this week b/c I think security delays will be typical. Definitely use a wheelchair if you think you might need it. I would call the airline to ask about bringing a drink on board and whether you can and whether you need a doctors' note.

Take care,

Katherine

I would call your carrier and tell them. They will document it and the gate personnell can access this. Also ask in advance for the wheel chair, everything tou take on mut be in a clear plastic garbage bag. Medications are ok. Good Luck. Miriam :D:(

Dizzy Dame this morning 21 people were arresting in the UK on accusations of preparing for a terrorist event. Security in the UK is at its highest level, it is very high here in the US as well.

There is currently a no liquid rule in effect as some surmise the plot must've been utilizing liquids (e.g. liquid explosives) in some form to blow up as many as 8 planes in route from Heathrow to the US.

There is no set time yet for changing the security status as I'm sure they don't know if they've arrested all those involved, nor did they have an exact time for when the attacks would take place.

i don't have much to add to this except i think you've received excellent advice here and that i wish you a safe and worthwhile flight!! :D

good luck!! sounds like you might need a bit with the craziness in the world today (don't get me started)

best wishes,

lulu :(

Oh yeah- I flew from the UK yesterday, and this morning my mom said it was good timing, so apparently you can only bring medicines and essentials as carry on items... I'd think that if you brought a doctor's note and offered to drink from the bottle in front of security, it'd be OK though.

Not only can you NOT take water or gatorade, NO hair gels, no sunscreen and NO TOOTHPASTE, etc.

Does ANYBODY KNOW do airlines CARRY GATORADE? I can't fly but if I ever had to, there is NO WAY I could w/o gatorade. Water goes right thru me.

I so feel for those of you who have to fly. And yes, get a wheelchair from the airlines. But it's just total chaos.

They were discussing on talk radio, not allowing purses and using ziplock bags..and to remove pills from prescription bottles?? I always read the opposite that meds had to be in ORIGINAL containers???!

So call ahead, talk to HUMANS at the airports...take names and times and note who you spoke with...get doctors notes where USABLE.

Sadly, doctors notes are not going to over rule Federal Security stuff.

I mean WHO KNEW they were going to put a false bottom in a Gatorde bottle..and that was be able to open the lid and drink some to prove it's 'safety' to airline official? and then set off explosive with digital camera flash attachments?

I always thought flying with ANS issues a nightmare and now it will be very challenging. Those of you flying PLEASE keep us posted to what you find out and HOW you survive.

Remember dress and wear as little clothes as possible on the plane. With all the delays, planes will be sittiing on tarmacs and the ac can get warm.

GOOD LUCK.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with all this. (I'm stomping my feet :rolleyes: )

Just wanted to wish you the best and I hope everything goes well!

Take care (((HUGS)))

Amber

Guest dionna

i wrote this as some as i found out about it so i was still pretty heated. i still am now but not as bad. thank you all very much for your replies. when i purchased the ticket i was going to tell them that i would bring m own chair but then i thought about last time i flew. i just kept a bunch of water and drank that the entire time. nope not anymore. i even joined the marine corps to try to help fix all this mess. mt pots may even be chemical induced from working with the stuff i did with my job. (sigh) and here we all are, use potsys. we can't even drink water on a flight. i will definately let you all know how everything turns out. i can't get a doctor note for the flight up there but i can back. i am going to see my doctor, that is why i am flying--- since i can't drive! i may not have internet access for two weeks but as soon as i do i will post. again thank you all.

dionna :rolleyes: