I'm Petrified...

wareagle

Hi all...well I've really gotten myself into a pickle now...I've been putting off going to the dentist for 2 yrs. now (even with when my fillings started falling out left and right). I always had an excuse...I'm too sick...I don't have the money...I'll just wait a little longer...

Well, I finally lost a very large filling and decided I could no longer put off the dentist. I went for an eval. last week and wasn't surprised to learn that I need 1 poss. 2 root canals and several fillings. I was coming to terms with that this weekend when low and behold 1/2 of a tooth simply broke off at the gum line!! :(

Now I might have to go to an oral surgeon for an extraction and I'm really freaking out!!!! It just makes me so sick that b/c of my fear I've let my teeth get this bad. I never had a problem going to the dentist prior to POTS...I've had a lot of work done over the years and it used to not bother me. But now that I can't have the novacaine with the epi. I just don't know what to expect...and I'm shakin' in my boots.

I did a search and read prior posts...I know that they can use the Carbocaine to numb me up...but now I'm scared that I'll have some sort of weird reaction to the freakin Carbocaine :( . I KNOW I'm being dramatic and I keep trying to calm my body down but it's just not really listening to me!! I've been so tense these past few days...I just can't seem to relax. I swear...I went through SURGERY this year and I don't remember being this scared!!

I go in for a cleaning this afternoon and the dentist is going to eval. the broken tooth...I'm schedule to start work on another tooth on Wed...any good thoughts you guys could send my way would be much appreciated!

This is a good post! I had a filling fall out and I need it fixed.....Any advice is welcome...Also, why can't we use the regular novacaine they give pts.?

Jacquie

I've had TONS of dental work while sick with POTS. 1 root canal and about 10 or 11 fillings (I can't remember). My teeth just don't like the high-sodium Gatorade diet so I have to go in every few months for fillings.

I do fine on the eipnephrine-free novocaine (is that what carbocaine is?), never had any problems at all. However, I did get an injection of the novacaine with epinephrine the last time I was in (the nurse apparantly didn't listen to me when I said I can't tolerate adrenaline). I became pretty sick from that and we had to delay the procedure because my heart was like 170 laying down. However, within about 15-20 minutes it calmed down again and we were able to continue.

Just make sure your dentist understands your condition and that you'll need some special attention. I usually have someone come with me to advocate whenever I get anything done (usually my boyfriend), and they can speak up about things.

I really think you'll do fine. Dental work is nowhere near as traumatic as a TTT! So if you've had a TTT before, expect the dental stuff to be much easier. Just make sure you get lots of rest after the procedure. Going to the dentist always tires me out and I usually sleep the rest of the day.

Hope this helps!

-Lauren

I CAN'T LET THEM USE===epinephine....or xylocaine.

but, my first exraction---i was petrified---but tooth out in 1 1/2 min...no prob.

its the dang drugs we afraid of...as usual :(:(:)

***just wanted to let you know-the extraction itself, turned out to be the easy part....MUCH TO MY ANTICIPATORY SURPRISE! :(

oh my.....

good luck hun! and>>>AND>>....know the feeling of putting off anything i can...as so dang hard to think we can even make an appointment===arghhhhhh!!!!!

let us know how you do!!!!

{{{{HUGS}}}

Maggee

ps===YO MAGGS......:):):):)

i also put off going to the dentist for YEARS! :( i certainly new better, but my childhood dentist was the *best* and he had a stroke. :) it was so horrible, he wasn't all that old when it happened as a result of a motorcycle accident. so he could no longer practice, and all his patients had to try to find someone even half as good as he was. it seemed impossible, like every dentist i tried after him was either a jerk, or scared me or didn't get the dysautonomia thing when it became an issue for me. i just gave up. not smart! :( but i was scared!!

then i had to have an extraction recently... i was petrified not only of meds, but of pain [which has a tendency to set off adrenalin storms in me], and of the new dentist! plus i was embarrassed for being such a wimp and that they would see how bad my mouth was from neglecting to go to the dentist like a normal person. :( i went to my husband's dentist & i explained to him i couldn't have any meds that affected cardiac and i had a tendency to faint with pain or high anxiety. he said "we can handle that, it's not a problem. there are lots of medicines we can use." he didn't tell me what he used (he's rather a really quiet guy, actually) but he put this numbing stuff on and then gave me the shots (i'm guessing it was the non-epi stuff cuz i didn't go into ultra-POTS rampage mode :) ) and i had *no* problems whatsoever.NONE! i thought it was really going to hurt, but it didn't at all! hooray! :)

the stress i put myself through before going, just being so scared and upset, was WAY worse than actually being there. i wish you luck!

Epinephrine from the novacaine just sets me off with skipped beats and palpations tachycardia.

I've never had a problem with the injection without the epi in it. It wears off faster so they may have to numb you more often, but I have had no reaction from it.

I don't like going either but I take a little relaxer before I go.

Good luck.

I CAN'T LET THEM USE===epinephine....or xylocaine.

but, my first exraction---i was petrified---but tooth out in 1 1/2 min...no prob.

its the dang drugs we afraid of...as usual :D:):)

***just wanted to let you know-the extraction itself, turned out to be the easy part....MUCH TO MY ANTICIPATORY SURPRISE! :)

oh my.....

good luck hun! and>>>AND>>....know the feeling of putting off anything i can...as so dang hard to think we can even make an appointment===arghhhhhh!!!!!

let us know how you do!!!!

{{{{HUGS}}}

Maggee

ps===YO MAGGS......:D:):D:)

Hey guys...just posting an update on my dental saga. Had my first apt. today and everything went FINE...yay!!! Although it turns out I'm going to need 3 root canals OR 2 root canals and an extraction. My dentist cleaned out 2 of my teeth today and decided to leave them open, put me on antibiotics, and send me to the endodontist. So, most of these 2 root canals has already been done and the jury is still out on my poor broken tooth.

I had NO trouble with the Carbocaine numbing agent, however it did wear off really quickly (30 min.) and even with repeated shots I never got fully numb again. Now it could have been the area the dentist was working on...I think I've had issues with this part of my mouth even when I could use novacaine I remember having to have lots of shots before. But at leaste I now know what to expect!

So, moral of my story...don't be afraid of the dentist!! Get those teeth checked and catch problems early so you won't ever be in my position!! :(

Thanks for all of your support and encouragement...it helped me so much!!! :D

I'm glad it went so well for you. I had a half finished root canal for almost six months. I just went back to have it finished at a new dentist! The dentist I was going to used novicaine with epi and I felt horrible right away and for days after. Also he wouldn't listen to me about the chair. He would lean it back so far that I felt like I was going to fall off onto the floor. Way too far even for someone without POTS. I was very scared to have it finished. This dentist also scheduled two hour appointments! He did not get it that I could NOT stay in a chair like that for two hours plus have novicaine with epi. Long story short I found a WONDERFUL dentist who even researched the condition before seeing me. I had my root canal finished with novicaine w/o epi and the appt only lasted twenty minutes. He was able to work with me being somewhat upright and I am so grateful. Just make sure you have a dentist to listens and understands.

Susan

It's 1:56am and I am not thinking very clearly but I just remembered my dentist sending out a letter to us about new treatments that do not use numbing agents. He uses a new lazer to drill with not a drill and it does not require novacaine. Maybe ask your dentist if he has heard of this new procedure and if not call around and see if someone in your area has it. Hope this helps.

I worked for a dentist for 5 years and only had my teeth cleaned and I got free services, Thank G-d I never had a cavity, he wouldn't have been able to get me in the chair! I hated hearing that DRILL all day long.

Kim

so glad things went well for you!!! i seem to remember in my anatomy classes that different parts of the mouth have more nerves than others....so maybe it was that part. (ooooh, ain't i scientific? i'm sorry i can't remember more specifically)

but i'm so glad things went well for you! will you have more appts now?

peace,

lulul