Pots And Birth Control

jkapache

hi there,

i have heard that birth control helps for some. for me, i have been taking birth control for complexion problems (not really for the POTS) but i have noticed no change during menstruation with symptoms. actually, right now i am on my cycle and feel really nauseous and weak.......not fun.

i'd give it a shot though, it may work for you. everyone is different....

like sophia said, this is VERY common. either to be worse during or just before one's period; for me it was just before. if you do a search you'll likely find MANY posts discussing it. personally i've been on birth control so that i only get my period 3-4 times a year for the very fact that my syncope and overall health was MUCH worse just before i would get my period.

there are several reasons/explanations for this. hydration can be one....the body naturally loses fluids during menstruation. another issue is that hormones naturally make EVERYONE's BPs a bit lower during the part of the cycle just before one's period. "normal" folks adjust to this okay but if one's autonomic nervous system already has a low BP or is just not as able to adjust to minor fluctuations it can be more noticable/problematic.

B) melissa

I am on birth control pills to try and overcome the lows of period time. It is a bummer as my husband finally had a vasectomy last year! The pill helps, I have tried to just keep on taking them so I won't get a period, but they still come every month. My BP is lower, more dizziness, more lethargy and migraines during this time. I still get all the symptoms, but less intense.

It is not an easy one. Maybe a hysterectomy? Only for those finished with having babies of course.

Or, come back as a man in the next life! B)

I am the worst right before my period and during. I do take the pill although I can't really say if this has any affect or not.

jess-

everyone is different, so i really can't recommend anything. many have had good experiences on BC and others have not.

personally the continuous BC helped me immensely to keep my job for several years and likely kept me from at least some number of blackouts/falls. so yep...i'm glad i decided to give it a go.

my body & health situation has changed so very much over the past few years that i don't know how much of a difference it makes now, but for the moment we're (my docs & myself) are sticking with it as we sorely can't afford to upset the very delicate balance that keeps me "functioning" at even the minimal level i am.

personally i never had a problem with my periods at all before getting sick so was lucky in that way.

regardless, if you're concerned, talk to your doc. it can't really hurt to discuss it & it might help.

:) melissa

• 2 weeks later...

I started to notice a pattern with my POTS. Almost every time it was bad enough to send me to the hospital, it was when I had my period. I told my gyno and she called Dr. Grubb. She put me on BC pills 365 days a year (no placebo pills for me, I just start the next pack). I don't get my period and although I have been to the ER on occasion, I'm no longer a regular there.

Bren

Can I ask those that are on bc pills what your level of mobility is? I was on the pill and it did wonders but they took me off it because I'm in bed all the time apart from general pottering about. My periods are a nightmare, I go months without one then I suffer so much when I do get one, it's awful. Also my hormone levels are terrible, I'm practically making no oestrogen but no one seems to care and wont do anything about it.

I am wondering why they took you off due to your lack of mobility. Don't you still get hormonal fluctuations regardless of your mobility?

Activity level is about 30% on the CFIDS scale. Not sure if there is a POTS scale. Basically I no longer work, can potter about during the day, can go for very short trips in car, must rest every afternoon and between activities. Can only stand for 10 mins, then feel like passing out.

My doc has just prescribed oestrogen tablets for me to take when my period comes to help with migraines. Can you see another doc? If your instincts are telling you something, then suggest you listen as you know your body best.

Take care :blink:

Every Dr I ask says I can't use it because the risks of a blood clot are much higher with a lack of mobility. I've just asked my Endo again but he'll no doubt say no.