Great Grand Kid!

Dawg Tired

Wow! She's cute :) Maybe I could use some goats? They are probably way cheaper than the 35$ a week I have to pay to get my yard cut! It's been too hot this Summer for me to do it myself and Teri's away so much it's just not possible for one of us to get it done anymore. We used to joke about getting a goat--maybe we shouldn't, eh?! ;)

SOOO cute! and such an eco-friendly way to keep the lawn. if i'm ever lucky enough to have a place with a lawn i may have to look into getting a few myself.

thanks for sharing!

;) melissa

Teri and I always used to joke about what our house looked like when we bought it. The first thing we said to our realtor as she pulled into the driveway to show us the place was "someone needs to buy these people a goat!" B) They weren't into lawn care and the grass was at least knee high--which went well with the sheets they'd hung in the windows! No wonder it took them 9 months to sell the place--it was like one of those home shows on TV where they take you through an open house where people talk badly about the decorating, ect. Apparently we were the only buyers who could see past all the superficial painting, cleaning and pruning.

Do you need a permit to keep goats? How much land does a goat need to eat well? It occurs to me that my ornamental garden might seem too tasty--and my potted veggies and herbs too?

Sorry, I'm obviously having an ADD kind of night. Typing incessantly... trying to stop now... :) Nina

Sophia, I couldn't help myself! Here's an article about why fainting goats faint:

http://www.faintinggoat.com/myotonia.htm

and some history

http://www.rfaintingfarm.com/history.htm

Nina

Yes goats do faint well at least a couple breeds do. I have seem them in action..walking around and then bam on the ground. Too cute.

Up keep of goats, depends on what you feed, barn, vet expenses. It all adds up. Mom calls my girls "city slickers", since they prefer hay over grass (we don't have a large pasture for them so we supplement w/ hay). But they can graze if need be. Vet bills can be rather expensive if you don't have a good large animal vet w/ knowledge.

But yes they are super friendly and my life. B)

currently my total is 16 goats, selling two in august and breeding 7 or 8 in aug/sept...for babies.

susie

Well, Nina, I live in the Missouri Ozarks... and out of town on 1 1/2 acres so, no, we don't have to have a permit.

How much land?? Well, their area really isn't that big, just really inaccessible and difficult for Rick to get to with a mower - and behind their area is probably 1/2 acre that is totally wooded. It sounds like we bought a place like yours!! Overgrown really bad....

Fortunately, this place used to be a petting zoo so we have a wonderful assortment of barns and sheds - we even have (are you ready for this???) An EXOTIC BIRD HOUSE!!!! Hee hee!! We use it to store hay....

We have 4 goats - now 5, sometimes they kind of freak out my 14 year old son - he says they think they are dogs - they follow him around, one of them even tries to sit on your lap! But like I said - they are little Pygmy Goats and are pretty small....

Yes, they would LOVE your herbs and your carefully cultivated garden - unfortunately, they don't come with a "weed eater" attachment!

Ha! :) We only have 1/3 of an acre -- but it's mostly grass, except for my gardens. I'm sure they'd eat all the same things that the deer seem to love as a main course: my hostas, tomatoes, peppers, ornamental grass, etc. As for my herbs, that would be the salad bar B) We don't have a fence or a shed, so that might be a problem too.

My step-dad's brother is a large animal vet. He has a farm--and the mandatory menagerie of living things like pigs, goats, horses, cows, cats, dogs, birds, etc. Also, Teri used to have her own racing stable of thoroughbreds and can do a great deal of care herself (meds, teeth, treating common ailments).

Nina

Well.... we have some friends who come "borrow" a goat during the summer. They can keep it in a dog pen with a dog house at night and stake it out during the day.... Saves them mowing and they take care of the feeding and so forth while it is at their house.

Nice thing about these little ones - they are quite portable!