Toprol Making Me Anxious And Edgy

I know that it's only day one on the new med, but, everything that I've read about Toprol is that it should make me tired. Well, let me assure you that I'm far from tired. Quite the opposite. I had to take a sleeping pill last night (at about 2am) because I was so wired. I had taken the pill at about 8:30 because I wanted to make sure that this didn't happen (I seem to have a knack for having the "opposite" effect with meds) and I wanted to be prepared for a night of no sleep.

Well about 10:30 I did fall asleep and I thought "Yippee!!" However, at about midnight I woke up wired. I could NOT sleep, I felt as though I needed to move, get up, move, get up, move around, just DO something. This is how I've felt when I've taken other drugs, but those reactions were more profound and bothersome. Of course, those drugs didn't bother me too much the first day either???

Then I went and looked up Toprol and it's generic form and it says to not take it if you have Asthma, Myasthenia Gravis, kidney disease and Raynaud's Syndrome. Well, I've all of those things (well, maybe not the MG, but, all the rest I have...............) Did my, friend, the wonderfully smart, brilliant *&%# of a PA give me the worst possible drug for me or not???

Shall I just wait and see??? Shall I switch my dose to the morning??? Any advice is much appreciated.

Bec

All beta blockers carry those contraindications to the best of my knowledge. I have Raynaud's and beta blockers made it worse. Also, if you are truely hyperadranergic, pure beta blockers are generally not recommended. Check into the literature by Dr Grubb on diagnoising and treating dysautonomias. Perhaps someone can supply a link?

Sorry to hear about all of your issues getting appropriate care. It can be extremely overwhelming and frustrating. Is there anyway that you can "pre screen" potential physicians by asking to speak to their nurse and then asking them if the doctor treats whatever diagnosis you are concerned about. If they ask you to spell it, say "I've never heard of that one" etc. etc. you can pretty much assume they will be clueless. A caring office staff will ask the doctor and get back with you. I have also had an office that does not treat what I have suggest a doctor that does.

Best wishes,

Lori

I have Raynaud's, too.

But, see that whole adrenic connection is what I was thinking, too. Great..................the one thing that I thought might help me, is making me nuts!!! It's helped my vision get back to normal, but, as far as how I feel, I feel so irritable and edgy and mean and like anxious, anxious, anxious. My joints are killing me, too.

ARGH!! I wish that I had the money to get see Dr. Grubb. Hey, anybody out there in Ohio willing to have a house guest, sight unseen?? LOL..............I'll be taking applications through the PM system! (Hey, I'm only half kidding!!)

Bec

PS - Could someone give me the link to the Dr. Grubb article that you were referring to? I would love to print it and take it into my doc!!! Thanks, in advance!!

I just started on Metoprolol 3 wks ago and I know it's not the same drug but I think it has the same ingredients. Anyways at first it made me wired and anxious about 4 days into it I started feeling tired. Now three weeks later and I'm still tired.

So maybe you'll adjust after a few days on this med

Good Luck

Dayna

I believe TOprol and Metoprolol are the same drugs, the Toprol is longer lasting however. Toprol made me tired but as time passed being on it I didn't have the fatigue as much (or I just got used to it, LOL). I took Metoprolol for my tachy today and I ended up passing out for a few hours.....zzzzzzzzz......

I didn't get the "wiredness,"etc. that you seem to be getting. If it keeps up for much longer I would call your doc, maybe theres another med to try.

Jacquie