Doses Of Beta

seems like there's a lot of people on pretty low doses of beta. are any of you taking more than say 50mg's of any type of beta a day? i am wondering why i am on such a large dose compared to most of you (or at least what i have seen for dosage amounts that some of you are taking). i am on 160 mg's of beta (sotalol) a day.

I take 25 mg 3 times a day. If I take any more then that my b/p drop to low! I wish I could take more as ti would help with the rthyme problems.

i take very high doses of atenolol, toprol, and propranolol and the strange thing is the higher dose i take the higher my bp goes!! now its just about in normal range, wish i knew why this is happening, toprol 50 mg, atenolol 50mg with propranolol 25mg, and then same dose at nite

radha

Hi last summer i was on 360 mg of prorpanolol a day (and i still had tachycardia!) I've been on very high doses of other BB's as well in the past..(120mgs of cardizem per day, 200mg of metporol per day.. and on and on it goes!)

currently i am on 40mg a day of betaxolol (which I've been told is the max dose) and .1 mg a day of clonidine three times a day

Hi Cardiatec,

I started on Atenolol in April and had a really hard time adjusting to it. I would hate to start all over again with another medication. :( But, it may be something I will have to do. I do not tolerate most medications at the best of times.

I have break-through tachy quite a bit and lately (hot weather?) am having some pretty weird palpitations.

Everything is really off right now so it may just be a temporary POT-hole I'm in. :unsure: My heart rate will go from 120 bpm just resting and then drop down a while later when I am doing something. It is an awful feeling when your heart does not seem to be keeping in sync with your activity.

Thanks for the advice though....will run it by my family doctor next week when I see her.

How long would a 'change-over' take?

Maggs

hey maggs,

haha, that is cute "POTS-hole". funny but not.

i totally understand where you are coming from. today i was just sitting doing nothing and my heart was going CRAZY, beating fast and i had that shortness of breath, cant breathe right feeling . hate it.

hmmm, to change over from your atenolol 50 mg's, you'd probably have to ween down to 25 for two weeks or so but definitely check in with your cardio. not sure what is best for weening down off of beta, just know that if you dont do it the right way it can actually cause the tachy to be worse and send your BP through the roof.

take care and feel better!! let me know how it goes if your cardio switched you to toprol xl.

Hi

I take 50 mg of Toprol XL. The only other beta blocker I have been on is Pindolol but that was a long time ago. It may be that the dosages of your beta blocker run differently. I know very few people who take more than 50 mg of Toprol.

Susan

For years I was taking 37.5 mg of atenolol twice a day... that's 75mg daily. It worked well for me.

I went to a new cardiologist recently and when he saw the high dose of beta blocker he was pretty surprised. I didn't realize it was a high dose until he said something.

I got in a funk a while back and wanted to get OFF meds, so I reduced my night-time dose to 25mg. The past month I have been reducing my dose further and further... I am on 25mg in the morning and NO dose in the evening.

Results coming soon................