A Low Grade Fever Every Day

yogini

Since getting POTS, I've been getting low grade fevers from time to time. This especially happens to me in he afternoons. Usually my fever would be around 99.5 or below.

I've noticed for the past couple of weeks that I have had one every day for most of the day. Over the weekend I had one of 100 which is higher than before (although admittedly not high). And I've just had that BLAH feeling. I know that many of you get low grade fevers. I did a search on the forum and found my own response to someone asking about this a few months ago...LOL. But I am wondering if any has any suggestions or has gotten a better explanation from their doctors?

I have had some changes lately which could be contributing - I am weaning off my atenolol and exercising a lot more and also trying to watch what I eat. Not to mention that it is HOT outside.

This will probably be chalked up to "just POTS" in the end, or maybe I am just overdoing it. The fact that this is happening every day has me worried enough that I made an appointment with my GP tomorrow.

I also know that low grade fever is a symptom of Lyme disease, so I am going to ask him about that -- although I was already tested 2 years ago, am functional and don't have the classic Lyme symptoms such as pain, etc. maybe it is worth further testing.

-Rita

I have a chronic low-grade fever. Sometimes my temp will be in the 97's, other times it's in the 99's or 100's. I've noticed my fever tends to correspond with worsening symptoms, espeically the chronic pain I have. I don't know what's causing mine, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I have lyme disease (I posted on this earlier).

I hope you get to the bottom of your fever!

Hugs,

Lauren

I've noticed this, but you're are right to call it low grade fever. It's just above 100 when docs call it a real fever, even then they aren't too concerned unless it's over 103. I wouldn't pursue it much the Dr, except to mention your perception of temperature disregulation. My temp fluctuates at times, 97 - 100, rarely up to 101. It doesn't always correlate with my perception of a fever - i.e. can feel like running a fever at 97, or chills at 100. I was in bed sweating again with insomnia last night and it felt like a fever, but came out 97.6 - quite normal :). Chalk it up to dysautonomia with all the other non-specific ANS symptoms :ph34r:

hi

You already know that chronic low grade fever is classic for lyme. What you may not know (I didn't) is that the standard test that the primary will use for dx, the ELISA, is known to be GROSSLY unreliable. Especially in dx chronic lyme. There are a few specialty labs in the US that are known to do more accurate testing, such as Igenex, MDL, and Bowen.

I'm waiting on lyme results right now. I no longer have arthritis (that was a long time ago) but whatever I've got, lyme ore not lyme, has been morphing from one ailment to another. I've been dx and then undiagnosed with MVP, CFS, lupus, evaluated for MS with suspicious VEP, which turned to look more like Myasthenia Gravis (was treated for that for a while), Autonomic dysfunction (dx still stands), and now my muscle weakness is more ALS like but thankfully without findings on an EMG. Don't yet know what it is, but the fevers provide substantiating evidence trhat this is probably one wierd infection!

Ariella

Guest Julia59

I have had low grade fevers---once I had it for 4 months----99.5 to 100.0. I never got a explanation for mine. But when I have them, I do feel worse all the way around---POTS wise also.

I had one for two days a while ago---maybe a month ago. I felt really terrible also, but I may have had a virus.

Julie :0)

I will get a low grade fever when my irritable bladder is giving me fits. My gastro. said that any time you have inflammation in the body (bladder, bowel, stomach, muscles, etc.) the body responds with a low-grade fever. Makes sense that if you're having a POTS flare-up that could include irritable bowel, muscle pain, etc., that the body will respond with a low-grade fever. I get them, and they do make you feel additionally icky.

Linda

When I'm symptomatic or have a migraine I tend to run low grade fevers.

My Doc said this was common and had something to do with being in pain? Can't remember exactly what he said but I found it interesting.

Amber

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I definitely feel better knowing I'm not the only one. The funny thing is that, of course, my low grade fever seemed to calm down on Friday when I went to my doctor. He didn't find anything, but did order blood tests. I will post an update after I have the tests -- though I am sure they will come back normal! I did review the Lyme website, but it just seems overwhelming right now. I may try to see an LLMD some the fall.

hi rita!

just wanted to say hi...

i don't really know for sure any answers to your questions, but you will have to see if the fevers every day persist or not over time--could be one of those wonderful symptoms that if you wait it out long enough it goes away!

although, for me, a fever of that level, IS enough to mean i have an infection of some sort...so i don't want to minimize.

the chronic low-grade fever thing is so hard b/c it can be a symptom of so many things, even CFS...soooooo it might be a difficult mystery to solve!

let us know what you find out!

em