Water Therapy

Sue

Hi

Grubb has me starting water therapy next week. Suppose to strengthen the blood vessels and overall cardiac

Just wondering if anyone else has done this. Did you see any results???

Thanks

Sue

Deb

You'll love this.... I don't know yet!!! All I know it is to strengthen my legs/blood vessels, and overall cardia. So I am imagining it is in a pool, and basically excercising my legs. Dr. Grubb suggested it at my last visit. and when I saw my primary physician she totally agreed. I am determined to do anything and everything to get this under control.

oh and if it doesn't help the symptoms, maybe it'll help the weight loss... 32 out of the 40 to go. UGH :D

I start tomorrow so I will let you know :D

Sue

Sue,

I would love to know also what the water therapy is. I'd love to go swimming, hmmm I might even get a bikini. HaHa! I hope you are feeling better. I also have the weight gain and I am considering the weight loss surgery, my doctor told me we would talk about it in a couple of months and that the surgeon would have the last word. Do your legs feel swollen? My legs are so achy when I get up in the morning, and then when I am sitting down they start feeling like they are swelling up like a balloon. Oh the joy we have. :D

Sue,

Dr Grubb recommended this for me too. I haven't started yet because I don't have access to an indoor pool. My sister has an outdoor pool which I can use some this summer(she lives 40minutes from me).

My concern is that my heartrate goes up so quickly that I don't know if I will be able to do it!! Just walking down the 2 steps to get into the pool makes it go whacko-either fast or irregular. Please let me know how it goes. :D

danelle

That is my problem too. I tried last year to do some water exercises, and I thought they were going to have to call the ambulance. My HR was so high and it wouldn't calm down. I am scared to do anything cardio now, because I just can't manage it. However, my EP doc wants me to do some exercises to control the vagel nerve. I am starting to do strengtening exercises to tapes. I just did 30 minutes of arms, legs, butts and tummy. If I want anymore cardio then I will walk alittle. That is just where I'm at with all my problems. I need to develope more confidence that I won't be rushed 911 with tach. Remember I use to be the aerobic's teacher. Now, look at me? POTS, Addisons and Thyroid disease, and thanks to all that, a newly developed panic disorder. I'm 43 and wow, what life can do to us.

Karen M.

Karen,

I agree 100%!!! I too have developed anxiety and panic disorder due to this crazy thing. However, I really don't remember what life was like before it. I started having sx at the age of and haven't been right since. No exercise, no outdoor activity, etc etc etc :D It's like being a prisoner to your own body.

When I was in high school I was very active though so I do remember just a little bit. Things have gotten considerably worse for me over the past year, I have had a pretty steady decline :D . What kind of strengthening tapes do you do? I can't even walk without feeling like jello!!! I have tried some very mild stretches but I end up with the same result-jello :D

danelle

I do feel like jello. My arms and legs feel very weak. But, I have to do something or else I'm going to rot, I feel. I just get tapes like "Kathy Smiths" or "quick fix" they have 10 minute intervals. Do what you can, but do something to help you. If only it is a couple of times a week. I get really ill with my Addisons and sometimes I'm out of commission for weeks...but on a good day, I TRY and do something. I'm not that great either. I panic if my HR goes up... so I totally understand. But my EP doc got on me last time stating that I need to help the vagel nerve so she wants me to do something. So, I do my best. That's all any of us can do...

Karen M.

Hi everyone

Well I am disappointed. Before any therapy here in Michigan you have to be evaluated by the therapist. She doesn't feel water therapy would be good for me at this point. What she wants is for me to go to a cardiac center where you are monitored and have cardiac personnel right on hand. Which I guess is a good thing. But I love the water.. We have a pool/but not opening it til the weather settles down here. Lots of storms lately. Actually in the water is where I feel my best. So I was actually looking forward to this.

I did talk to her though about it. It is basically a small in ground pool with seats around the outside border in the pool. You basically just sit there and start off with some slow leg excercises. Sounds nice and relaxing huh. Her concerns were that I would get sick and they are not equipped for anything at this facility. I told her I am never equipped for this/it is a part of my life. I even told her I would never come by myself, but she still wasn't satisfied. I am actually more nervous to think what they may want me to try at a cardiac center. NO TREADMILLS FOR ME/can't handle them anymore..

If anyone is thinking about this, I did questioned her about being covered on insurance policies. She said most policies do cover this as a cardia reconditioning.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Sorry about the disappointment. I do hope though that you'll look into the cardiac rehab. My husband had a mild heart attack last October, and although he was very skeptical about the rehab, he went. As it turned out, he loved it. They are very careful about monitoring the patients. They don't let you do more than your condition can handle. That might just be the thing for you. It was covered by our insurance with a small co-pay, like about $10 each visit. Jim is also diabetic, so they also monitored his glucose levels while he was there. Exercise helps the body to use insulin better so his glucose level went very low a couple of times. That's even worse than too high if you don't take care of it. They had him stay until it was at a normal level again.

Hope you get to do something soon. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to warn you that you might feel this intense pressure on your heart in the water and want to pass out. I have read that we should not do any form of water sports. Lets face it we pass out so quickly. I know with myself I can't always say when I feel like I am going to and when I actually do. Just don’t be disappointed if this happens, swimming has even changed for me. Hope you turn out to be a happy water baby. :P

I just have to add that we don't ALL pass out... I think I'm posting this for any new people coming to the board who perhaps haven't been diagnosed yet and come here looking to see whether their symptoms match up. There are some commonalities in our experiences--and it's important to have a place where we can come to get those experiences validated! (If even one other person shares one of our goofy symptoms, it can make us feel so much better about it...)