Something Cute To Share

Hi everyone, I wanted to share a neat little thing with you. Today I went on a quick trip to a local doctor's office to drop off some handmade bracelets she's bought from me. Because it's sooOOoooo hot here today, I wore my CoolSport vest--and tacked my Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation pin on it too. I've previously promised my cardio I'd be careful about driving in the heat, so I knew how much the vest would help, especially getting back into my car after waiting, while it baked out in the 100 degree heat.

Anway--I was waiting with all the patients for a good half hour with 3 other adults, all of whom were staring at me at various points, I'm sure trying to figure out what the heck that vest was about. Even some of the staff, including a PA were staring at me on and off.

Then a mom and 2 elementary school aged kids came in--and as soon as the 10 year old boy sat down, he looked right at me, pointed at my vest from across the room and said "What's that?" I explained what it was and that it kept me cool. Then he asked "Why do you need to wear it?" And I explained that too, as simply as possible, saying that I couldn't cool my own body, and that it kept me from getting overheated. Then he asked if I was "always like that?", and I told him "yes". He was so cute, looked right at me with a sad face and said "I'm sorry that you have that." !!! How cute, a kid of 10 give me more empathy than most grown ups.

Anyway, I thanked him and told him it's okay, that I'm not sad and that it's just the way my body works. Then he and his 7 yo sister wanted to know if the vest was heavy so I took it off and let them try it on. What was really funny was now that he'd opened the door to the conversation, all the grownups started asking me questions! One asked how I got diagnosed, another said she'd heard of EDS and wanted to know if I have heart issues in addition to the temperature problems. I felt like I was giving a POTS, NCS and EDS lesson. Weird thing about the EDS question-- the lady next to me has a neighbor who has EDS, as does his son, so she knew exactly what I had and that's why she asked about heart problems! Also, I could tell the office staff was listening in too--so maybe the PA and nurses learned something? :rolleyes:

I had DINET brochures in my car, but I decided just to leave it as is for today :) Just thought I'd share something good today. Nina

Wow! It is so neat how open kids are, and how they just want to know things. Also its great you got a chance to talk to others about EDS, whos knows maybe know when they are some where and the topic get bought us the will have the information to share, form a nice women they met once!

Thanks for sharing Nina! :rolleyes:

Don't you just love kids. I bet you are glad you made that trip, despite the weather!! It was over a 101 degrees here today, not counting how humid it felt on top of the heat!! I am praying for the 70's!!

The funny thing was that I was just explaining to my husband last night about one of your posts regarding the vests. I was thinking of investing in one. Is there one you like better than the others? I will try to search out that post and see if you stated your preference. I remember looking at website.

Well, I am sure that encounter will leave a smile on your face for some time to come.

thanks again for sharing such a positive, heart warming day :D

Hi Nadine, the vests are expensive--but it has made me able to do some things that were otherwise just out of my reach--like a vacation in Mexico during the SUMMER!! It's breezy on the beach all day, but if you go anywhere inland, it's SO hot and humid in the Yucatan.

The one I have is from http://www.coolsport.net

I have the "lite" version. If I had it to do again, I'd buy the regular vest because I have a hard time with the over-the-shoulder straps and the flaps from the vest sliding down into the slots for the ice packs--and if I'm in a hurry to get the vest on, it can be funky trying to arrange 8 velcro straps that want to stick to each other or the wrong part. Even so, I love my vest.

I also have an extra set of cooling packs--which really works great when I'm somewhere really hot. I can swap the melted packs for new ones--giving me about 4 hours time in REALLY high temps.

Nina

Nina-

thanks for the info-

I have seen some other websites that offer products as well, some cheaper. I am assuming that you had researched this. Is this the brand you feel is most affective? Still debating purchase. I am currently homebound, so in with a/c- but would be helpful when trying to be out and about. Trying to decide if I want to take the bite with the cost.

thanks again

I choose the coolsport type because the phase change material stays cool at a constant temp longer than other cooling items I've seen--additionally, it doesn't "sweat" as it cools off so it doesn't make your clothing wet.

Nina

MM-

Thanks for that adorable story! Did you ever notice that it's always little kids or old people that ask you what's wrong? That's whom always asked me when I was in the w/c with the "vadar" tank... I personally would rather that people just come out and ask you what's wrong with you than having them just sit there and stare looking stupid!

Alexa

I'm sure I must look like I'm wearing a kevlar vest like an undercover officer or something-- you and me would make a funny pair-- Vader and the Police :D

I'm sure I must look like I'm wearing a kevlar vest like an undercover officer or something-- you and me would make a funny pair-- Vader and the Police :D

Well I haven't needed the vadar tank since going to Milwaukee... We think the hypoxia (dropped to low 60s ON O2) was due to a squished brainstem.